Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

To be completely fair to him, while he clearly wasn't particularly great this last season, he was instrumental in gaining the 10 points we did in our first 4 matches, and was MOTM in the game we won at Tottenham as well. Even this last season, we might have gone down without him. 

• Like 1

To be completely fair to him, while he clearly wasn't particularly great this last season, he was instrumental in gaining the 10 points we did in our first 4 matches, and was MOTM in the game we won at Tottenham as well. Even this last season, we might have gone down without him. 

Which is why I am scared what we will look like without him.

Vlaar has produced a handful of world class matches for us each season which got us points we really didn't deserve. Last season we started out so well, largely because Vlaar and Senderos were playing out of their mind. What if those 7 points we got in our first few matches was only 2-3 points? That is a major difference for a relegation candidate club. 

Even though he was abit of a prat for what he said I feel for vlaar seems like a genuine nice bloke. Wouldn't be opposed to villa offer him a one year deal I'd it helps him out

Bet he is kicking himself rejecting our deal now

Helps him out? Madness. The guy has robbed a 35/40k a week living from us and barely played. Waste of time. A player I genuinely won't miss one bit. Could not be arsed with one more week of him not being fit.

How has he robbed us? Please explain more ?

He was immense in 13/14, let's not forget. Topped it off with an amazing world cup too. Let's not act like he was Titus Bramble please.

Laursen was immense, dunne for one season was immense. Vlaar has not been immense in a villa shirt.

• Like 3

I agree with DCJonah.  Vlaar was never a great player for us, he certainly isn't anywhere near the the likes of Laursen, Mellberg, Southgate, Ehiogu and McGrath in terms of ability. I'll throw Dunne in there too as he was incredible in 2008/09 (PFA team of the season if I'm not mistaken) but he was valuable to Villa. He was an important presence in a piss poor team and he probably contributed as much as anybody to us not getting relegated in his time at Villa Park.  I'll not gloat over his misfortune. I don't feel particularly sorry for the guy either, he's just another ex Villa player now.

He should have reached a point in his career where he is financially secure for life,he has earned several million pounds during his time at Villa, he probably earned a couple of million in the Eredivisie and as a fairly high profile international footballer who has played in the Premier League and the World Cup he should never find trouble getting a bit of work in the media should he need it.  He's done very well out of life, certainly far better than any of us will. I wish him well but I'll not leap in to defend his honour. 

• Like 3

He's a decent Premier League defender when fit and playing, nothing more, and has throughout his career been far far too injury prone.

We'd have been idiotic to offer him a new contract and I can completely understand why no one is banging his door down to get him on board.

• Like 1

Feel like we dodged a bullet here. He was no Martin Laursen. Plus, he wanted someone else to take him on. We were a last resort and could ill afford to offer him what he wanted.

So glad we didn't, although given how this summer has gone i'm expecting his 5-year deal to be confirmed any day now.

Edited by jacketspuds

Vlaar was never a great player for us, he certainly isn't anywhere near the the likes of Laursen, Mellberg, Southgate, Ehiogu and McGrath in terms of ability. I'll throw Dunne in there too

Yep, not a bad defender, but not a patch on these guys.

Vlaar was never a great player for us, he certainly isn't anywhere near the the likes of Laursen, Mellberg, Southgate, Ehiogu and McGrath in terms of ability. I'll throw Dunne in there too

Agreed...but I don't know why people constantly need to compare him to defenders who signed for us when we were either challenging for the league or for Europe? Nobody constantly compares Westwood with Petrov or Sanchez with Milner. Just seems a bit of unfair.

Agreed...but I don't know why people constantly need to compare him to defenders who signed for us when we were either challenging for the league or for Europe? Nobody constantly compares Westwood with Petrov or Sanchez with Milner. Just seems a bit of unfair.

I agree.

People keep saying "he's not a patch on Laursen, McGrath etc" as if there are other people who are saying he IS as good as them.

Nobody is.

• Like 1

I think we should at least try and help him to get fit if no club comes in for him, it would be the decent thing to do. The club have probably offered him that already but we dont know

I agree with this - no lucrative deals or anything like that but we could certainly help him with his rehabilitation

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Â