Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

i want him to hurry up and make a decision as to who he is signing for so we dont have to worry about him resigning a contract at villa

Have a feeling it will be into August before clubs make a decision on his fitness recovery.

This just popped up on his Twitter feed - sounds like his knee is shot and he'll miss a fair amount this season!

Ron Vlaar @RonVlaar4 6m6 minutes ago

For my English followers… http://www.khalidzerrou.com/ron-vlaar-english/ 

Comeback, again!

Well, where shall I start…

I have decided to write an open letter in my own words about my physical fitness and sporting future.
Was this an easy decision to make? No! But being honest about my injury will take away the burden of worry and allow me to fully focus on my recuperation and be the best I can be.
After a heavy season with many injuries I was confident the injuries were gone. Although tired I really needed a holiday to recoup and prepare for the new season.

Outside of my football playing duties, I am ambassador to ‘Yojana’, and so at the end of the season a trip was arranged for me to travel to India. That was a really beautiful and impressive experience. It was during this trip that I noticed something was wrong with my body, something didn’t feel right. In response to this, I requested a medical examination and unfortunately my worst feelings were confirmed. On the MRI scan of my left knee it became clear that I had a torn medial Meniscus. You may or may not be aware that in January I had surgery on the same injury, and after a short period on the sidelines I was back on the pitch and playing again.

I knew the ramifications of this diagnosis and unfortunately there was no escaping surgery. To be completely honest, my mind-set was already changed, I do not want to have a season like I endured last season. Wherever I am, I would be unhappy if I was ‘in and out’ with injuries, so when I heard the news my mind immediately focused on what was necessary and my number one priority is to get back to full fitness.

After a conversation with the surgeon, we agreed that as a result of how the knee would be on the inside, it would be the best solution in the long term if he could operate.

Last Wednesday I had a surgery in the Erasmus MC in Rotterdam.
From the moment that I was taken down to theatre I started worrying about the outcome, I didn’t want the surgery anymore. I was screaming on the inside. I had a terrible feeling. I did not want to know the outcome of the operation. The only thing that I know is that I was picked up at a quarter to 11, the infusion was installed and that everyone in the operating room had introduced themselves.

The first thing I asked when I could barely open my eyes was how long had I been in theatre for? I had no idea if I was in the recovery room or I was already on my way to the room, but I needed to know.

One of the medical team replied 3 Hours.

3 Hours???!!! That is way too long. I knew that the operation would take about one hour, but this set alarm bells ringing. Damn….

I woke up dizzy, but in one way or another, so aware of certain things, but I could not remember why I felt so dizzy. In my confused state I had called a number of people, which only became clear the next day. I had no idea what I had discussed with them. It later emerged that the operation was far too long and I had been worried and had been sharing my concerns with them.

After I woke again, it was found that the intervention had lasted 2.5 hours. 2.5 Hours!! Damn… My heart sank, but I still knew nothing. The surgeon was not due to come until end of the day and then I would get the full story.

Due to my surgery over-running, the surgeons day had been delayed, so it seemed like an age while I waited for the results. Eventually, after 6pm the surgeon returned. My hunch was partially confirmed, it was a more laboured intervention than was expected.

The medial meniscus piece was rolled up to the rear. Good for the Surgeon to see, but a little more difficult to remove. There were not many differences with what was on the MRI, and in comparison with the intervention in January. However, because I wanted to plan my long-term fitness and not short term, it was more complicated.

It’s far from ideal if you have to undergo this procedure twice in six months, so the doctor made the right decision by drilling into my cartilage. This means that there will be scar tissue for protection, which will combine well with good musculature in the upper legs.

So what does this means in the short term? Well, instead of 2 days with crutches, there will now be a 4 to 6 weeks period. Instead of 4 weeks rehabilitation, it will now take 3 to 4 months. On hearing this news it was a defining moment, I was stunned and I struggled to keep my composure. Even now when I think about it, the news is very hard to swallow.

Part of being a professional athlete is learning how to deal with setbacks in your career, and having the mentality to come back stronger. I have faced tougher situations in my life and always managed to overcome them.  I am proud of what I have achieved in my career and I am positive that with the support of the people close to me I will come back stronger again. I am already starting to feel the energy flowing through me, the button has been pushed and my mind is completely focused. There is only one thing in my mind and that is to be completely fit again!  After injury, the recovery efficiency of my body is very large. I have noticed this in my previous rehabilitation and already noticed this again. 2 days after surgery the knee is very stable and that is the basis from which to start exercising. Where will this eventually bring me? At the level that suits me and I always aim for the highest goal… I’m sure l will be fine! I will prepare myself so I will be able to play at least 5 more years at the highest level and for the Netherlands national team!

During my rehab I will keep you fully updated on the progression of my recovery.

Thank you for continued support, it’s much appreciated!

http://www.khalidzerrou.com/ron-vlaar-english/

I wonder if he wishes he'd accepted our new contract offer now? Recovering from injury with a team that has stuck by you for 3 seasons must be easier than recovering from injury while looking for a new club, or even without a club at all until fit again.

I'm being presumptuous, but I don't think he'll end up at a club that is viewed as a 'step up' from us. Maybe a return to Holland?

Bad news for him I think it will be a big struggle for him now 5 months out and no team.Apparently we offered him play and pay contract might be worth him revisiting that at the least he could use facilities at BMH to help his recovery.

• Like 1

Â