Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

We play 5 a side every week and one lad there he's the last pick nearly every week. One day many years ago he needed a player so I popped along.

This lad was like Pele in this game. That's how bad the standard was. Speaking after everyone was in awe and how he was first pick every week and what a player he was.

I never went back.

That's what Ron Vlaar was at Villa. Bang average but never to everyone else he was basically close to being Rio Ferdinand. 

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

That's what Ron Vlaar was at Villa. Bang average but never to everyone else he was basically close to being Rio Ferdinand. 

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

• Like 1

I really don’t understand this attempted love in. He was part of an horrific team and couldn’t wait to bail, and did bail, on us. I don’t blame him for that because who the hell would want to be at Villa at that time and his career was at its peak, but his relevance to Villa isn’t much greater than the likes of Stewart Downing or Stephen Warnock. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

I really don’t understand this attempted love in. He was part of an horrific team and couldn’t wait to bail, and did bail, on us. I don’t blame him for that because who the hell would want to be at Villa at that time and his career was at its peak, but his relevance to Villa isn’t much greater than the likes of Stewart Downing or Stephen Warnock. 

He took 6 months to find a new club after leaving here. More likely we didnt offer him a decent deal

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Stewart Downing who was interviewed in the Villa Park fanzone on Sunday.    Surprising choice considering he got booed on all previous returns to VP.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Stewart Downing who was interviewed in the Villa Park fanzone on Sunday.    Surprising choice considering he got booed on all previous returns to VP.

Played for both clubs, James Collins was probably busy

On 25/10/2023 at 13:07, villarule123 said:

I thought he was awful and the total opposite of his nickname 😂

No worse than James Collins or probably Cuellar but just played in way poorer teams. Injuries were incredibly frustrating though but we knewTthat when we signed Teflon Ron...

He was only about 3m so you get what you pay for in that era.

12 hours ago, Spoony said:

He was here three years. 

Think there was a rumour after his successful World cup for the Netherlands that Van Gaal actually wanted to take him to Man. United so they'd have probably paid silly money for him but surprise surprise he got injured and that was the end of that.

Him going on a free backfired a bit as again he was supposed to be going to I think Lazio but another injury and they pulled out and eventually about six months later Alkmaar took him on way less money than he was earning here.

It was just a difficult time. He had to babysit Clark in his first season who was never good enough to be a premier league CB (would've been better as DM as we tried him there when he first broke through) and Baker tried his best but was similarly limited. Then we signed Okore and I think that combo could've worked but an ACL two games in and that finished him as a prem prospect.

Then Senderos was signed and that actually looked o.k for 4-5 games. Senderos gets injured and literally is never seen again.

Vlaar would've done fine in the O'Neill teams I think  given how we defended in those times.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Agree. He always tried his best unlike those other hopeless cbs Richards and lescott

A class above those useless words removed for sure.

Always struck me as a player who got more love than he would have just because people came up with a catchy nickname for him, but yeah, always gave it his best effort for us which is more than we could say about a lot of players around that time.

• Like 1

he left us, believing he was too good for us.

he was pretty good while he was here, but the way he left, actually saying in interviews that he thought at the time we werent good enough and didnt want to be here any more.

gets no brownie points from me.

Â