Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Plenty of players go on holiday to Dubai and that part of the world regularly so doubt it would be as much as a culture shock for him to go there compared to most other foreign leagues.

As I've said before even the worst player in the world will have clubs interested in him, that's the why football works.

He needs to move on as he won't play again under Garde and I doubt he's going to outlast his manager.

Duverne's return combined with input from Houllier is what marked the end of Gabby being an automatic starter IMO.

Duverne and Houllier previously sussed out Gabby and his poor work rate, so assumingly this has now rolled over into Garde's tenure.

I have good memories of Gabby. I think he is done in this league and has struggled the last few seasons.

That being said, is he worth hanging on to if the worst happens to us? Could use that pace in the Championship.

3 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

I have good memories of Gabby. I think he is done in this league and has struggled the last few seasons.

That being said, is he worth hanging on to if the worst happens to us? Could use that pace in the Championship.

The problem with that is how motivated would he be in the championship, he's had a premier league lifestyle for last 6 years and all that trapping and fame so you honestly think he'll roll his sleeves up and slog it out on a tuesday night at Rotherham or Huddersfield. I put Sinclair in the same category.

Worst thing we can do is just let him hang around the squad for another season contributing little (don't forget he's starting to regularly pick up injuries aswell so would his body cope with a 46 game championship season).

I back Remi on this one, he has served us well at times but last few years he's one of the people that sums up our demise so we need to cut our ties with that era.

21 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

Duverne's return combined with input from Houllier is what marked the end of Gabby being an automatic starter IMO.

Duverne and Houllier previously sussed out Gabby and his poor work rate, so assumingly this has now rolled over into Garde's tenure.

So Duverne and Houllier sussed out what O'Neill and his fitness coaches didn't see in the previous previous 4 years and what McLeish, Lambert and Sherwood and their coaches didn't see over the following 4 and half years. Seems unlikely to me.

Work rate has never been a problem for Gabby. For me he has almost always put a shift in. As is the case with some managers they just won't fancy a player and that was perhaps the case with Houllier, although he still got plenty of game time and signed a new four year contract when Houllier was manager. Houlliers only issue with Gabby from what I recall was him bulking up too much. Also if work rate was such a big issue for Houllier it is unlikely he would have spent 20 odd mill on Bent who was never known for putting a shift in.

Garde doesn't fancy Gabby and as I said that happens. Just as Lambert didn't rate Bent or Sherwood didn't rate Gil or Kozak. In fact Garde doesn't rate Kozak either it seems.

As things stand at the moment I would still have Gabby involved as I think he can offer more than Sinclair and Gestede but that clearly is not going to happen and Gabby will soon be on his merry way I guess.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

So Duverne and Houllier sussed out what O'Neill and his fitness coaches didn't see in the previous previous 4 years and what McLeish, Lambert and Sherwood and their coaches didn't see over the following 4 and half years. Seems unlikely to me.

Work rate has never been a problem for Gabby. For me he has almost always put a shift in. As is the case with some managers they just won't fancy a player and that was perhaps the case with Houllier, although he still got plenty of game time and signed a new four year contract when Houllier was manager. Houlliers only issue with Gabby from what I recall was him bulking up too much. Also if work rate was such a big issue for Houllier it is unlikely he would have spent 20 odd mill on Bent who was never known for putting a shift in.

Garde doesn't fancy Gabby and as I said that happens. Just as Lambert didn't rate Bent or Sherwood didn't rate Gil or Kozak. In fact Garde doesn't rate Kozak either it seems.

As things stand at the moment I would still have Gabby involved as I think he can offer more than Sinclair and Gestede but that clearly is not going to happen and Gabby will soon be on his merry way I guess.

I'm not talking about workrate on the pitch, I'm talking about training. What did Sherwood say when he arrived at the club about fitness? The same thing Garde has said - the players aren't fit enough, however Garde has brought Duverne back to actually combat the problem.

When Houllier was in charge, Gabby was dropped and it was apparently because of Duverne. 

I wish people would stop equating Gabby with Pace. It's like comparing a former adult film actor in their 80s with their "physical" performances. It's just something that's gone.

When was the last time we saw Gabby burn defenders with his pace?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

I'm not talking about workrate on the pitch, I'm talking about training. What did Sherwood say when he arrived at the club about fitness? The same thing Garde has said - the players aren't fit enough, however Garde has brought Duverne back to actually combat the problem.

When Houllier was in charge, Gabby was dropped and it was apparently because of Duverne. 

I'd say given some of Gabbys performances on the pitch that it is likely he has been very impressive in training and that has helped keep him in the team week in week out for over 9 seasons.

A lot of managers when they arrive at clubs comment on the fitness of the squad. Like you say Sherwood did and so did Garde which makes you wonder how bad must things have been under Lambert as you assume having commented on it that Sherwood would have improved it. In the main though you'd imagine any manager worth his salt at the very least wants a fit group of players and this is just basics. I guess managers just say it when they arrive at clubs to help ensure players will train with a little more intensity to ensure they impress the new manager. It may be one of the reasons a lot of the time players instantly seem half a yard quicker than just a week before under a different manager.

Edited by markavfc40

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

A lot of managers when they arrive at clubs comment on the fitness of the squad. Like you say Sherwood did and so did Garde

And it's almost always rubbish. It's just an easy thing to say and an easy get out to the question "how are you going to improve things"?

Managers generally won't criticise their players when they arrive, as that would be immediately counterproductive. And they won't slag o, ff the previous manager, so really all they can say is that they'll give everyone a clean sheet, improve the fitness, work hard and maybe make 1 or 2 tactical changes: such generalities as "tighten up at the back" or "work on creating more chances", or "work on finishing" or maybe "get everyone to contribute to scoring and defending".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I'd say given some of Gabbys performances on the pitch that it is likely he has been very impressive in training and that has helped keep him in the team week in week out for over 9 seasons.

A lot of managers when they arrive at clubs comment on the fitness of the squad. Like you say Sherwood did and so did Garde which makes you wonder how bad must things have been under Lambert as you assume having commented on it that Sherwood would have improved it. In the main though you'd imagine any manager worth his salt at the very least wants a fit group of players and this is just basics. I guess managers just say it when they arrive at clubs to help ensure players will train with a little more intensity to ensure they impress the new manager. It may be one of the reasons a lot of the time players instantly seem half a yard quicker than just a week before under a different manager.

I think that's massively charitable to Sherwood and actually a bit unfair to Lambert. The players looked further gone after 70 minutes at the end of Sherwood's tenure than the end of Lambert's. 

38 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think that's massively charitable to Sherwood and actually a bit unfair to Lambert. The players looked further gone after 70 minutes at the end of Sherwood's tenure than the end of Lambert's. 

I'm not sure I agree entirely. The amount of goals conceded late on under Lambert was completely unacceptable. 

Sherwood did nowhere near enough to correct this, because he's a charlatan, but the problem began under Lambert's reign. Coincidentally, that's when Gabby's form really started to drop off the face of B6. 

15 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm not sure I agree entirely. The amount of goals conceded late on under Lambert was completely unacceptable. 

Sherwood did nowhere near enough to correct this, because he's a charlatan, but the problem began under Lambert's reign. Coincidentally, that's when Gabby's form really started to drop off the face of B6. 

We had this issue under MON. 

John Terry was commenting on it when they spanked us.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I wasn't suggesting we were really unfit under Lambert. I was saying if it was the case that Garde said the players were unfit and so did Sherwood then how unfit must they have been under Lambert if we assume that Sherwood would have done something about our fitness. It is a load of bollocks and a thing plenty of managers say. See Blandys post above for a more full explanation.

Edited by markavfc40

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Gabby's form started to drop ever since MON left, in the two seasons before Lambert he scored 3 and 5 league goals and went almost a whole calendar year without scoring. And before people start saying he was played as a winger, that's only partly true because ever since Bent's injury he played up front and didn't manage a single goal.

Â