Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Didier drogba once said to Romelu Lukaku at Chelsea.

"when your team needs goals.......that's when you need to deliver"

sadly there was no one at Villa to tell Gabby.

the stats have never really been that helpful to us, just useful in a player securing a wonderful lifestyle.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Didier drogba once said to Romelu Lukaku at Chelsea.

"when your team needs goals.......that's when you need to deliver"

sadly there was no one at Villa to tell Gabby.

the stats have never really been that helpful to us, just useful in a player securing a wonderful lifestyle.

'If in doubt, score a goal'

We can't sell Gabby. He's our most prolific premier league goalscorer. I know every player has his price, but if we got £32 million for Benteke who got 21 fewer PL goals for us, then the Gabby fee would have to be astronomical...

psst play along fellas

Look at this for technique 

Magic. If we can get him back scoring he could be crucial in our fight against relegation

• Like 1

They almost definitely coached him in to gaining weight, then losing it, then gaining muscle, then losing it, then gaining it, then gaining it, then gaining weight...

In that sense I do feel a bit sorry for him, I don't know who exactly started it, I'll unfairly point the finger at houllier and suggest that there have been plenty of quick strikers who have gone to shit over the age of 25 (Owen) and they've tried to make his game about more than just speed and in reality it never was and was never going to be

I think that and the position thing over the years and all the managerial changes and different ideas on how to use him is at least partially to blame

I'm not excusing him I just don't outright hate him the way others do

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

They almost definitely coached him in to gaining weight, then losing it, then gaining muscle, then losing it, then gaining it, then gaining it, then gaining weight...

In that sense I do feel a bit sorry for him, I don't know who exactly started it, I'll unfairly point the finger at houllier and suggest that there have been plenty of quick strikers who have gone to shit over the age of 25 (Owen) and they've tried to make his game about more than just speed and in reality it never was and was never going to be

I think that and the position thing over the years and all the managerial changes and different ideas on how to use him is at least partially to blame

I'm not excusing him I just don't outright hate him the way others do

Houllier said he was too big and wanted him to slim down, as far as I am aware the bulk was all of his own volition.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Gabby lost his speed and really his ability when he was told to bulk up. He was a one dimensional player that was effective yet management cut it from him

He decided to bulk up all by himself. Houllier was very critical of his weight gain when he got here.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

People say about speed, but Lloyd Dyer was instrumental in getting Leicester promoted and he was 33 and still lightening quick. Some players don't lose it in their mid 20's.

He wasn't...but I agree with your point.

I remember watching Bellamy in his second stint at Liverpool and he still looked lightning quick, and look at the amount of injuries he had.

I think it is lifestyle.

• Like 1

I think it is always a weak argument to blame other managers and coaches.....its down to him, he gets paid a fortune like other players, would you not invest in that,  by keeping yourself well fit and highly tuned technically by practicing.

What I do think he has taken advantage of the changes and demise of the team over the years and just offered us a watered down version of himself.

Quite frankly, I can't remember a villa player ever attracting so many mitigating circumstances as him for not producing the goods.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, YLN said:

We can't sell Gabby. He's our most prolific premier league goalscorer. I know every player has his price, but if we got £32 million for Benteke who got 21 fewer PL goals for us, then the Gabby fee would have to be astronomical...

psst play along fellas

Look at this for technique 

Magic. If we can get him back scoring he could be crucial in our fight against relegation

With all due respect this is living in the past. Even in his so called pomp moments like this were few and far between and very unlikely to be seen to any level of consistency again IMO. I would also add that most players regardless of the level they are playing, have at some stage scored a spectacular goal. Times up I'm afraid way too many chances have been afforded to him and not taken. It's bye bye now.

Â