Chris Herd

ChrisNichollsToe

• 3 weeks later...

Playing like a player who is out of contract soon

Will need to keep up this level of performance if he wants another

So he is capable of playing for this team? I though in the era of he who shall not be named he played well. Not technically gifted per se but could be an option for a DM or at full back.

If a player that is out of contract and is playing out of his skin....that tells me there could be a fundamental problem with motivation at the club.

I have long felt this has been a bigger problem than a lack of quality.....This is not saying that quality in our team is perfect, just saying that I believe application is a bigger issue.

ps ....quality was not why we won the European cup....its was application.

Edited by TRO

If a player that is out of contract and is playing out of his skin....that tells me there could be a fundamental problem with motivation at the club.

I have long felt this has been a bigger problem than a lack of quality.....This is not saying that quality in our team is perfect, just saying that I believe application is a bigger issue.

ps ....quality was not why we won the European cup....its was application.

Offer him half of what he is currently on & see what he saying

Maybe he is just playing like a person who wants to be a first team regular. 

I saw both games and he is giving his all.. Unfortunately in both games he made a couple of really bad passes that could and probably would cost us a goal in in the Premier League.

For this reason I would say right now he won't be starting unless we have injuries.  

He is terrifying on the pitch for both managers. He goes into challenges very late and hard which will result in numerous redcards. Even against Houston and Dallas, Herd went into a couple of tackles very hard for a friendly. With that being said though, I wouldn't want to go near him if I was another player.

He's never been sent off for us I don't think although he is pretty reckless at times.

For me he's useful squad cover and o.k filling in for the odd game or two but not the sort you want starting 5 games in a row as then you see his limitations.

He's never been sent off for us I don't think although he is pretty reckless at times.

For me he's useful squad cover and o.k filling in for the odd game or two but not the sort you want starting 5 games in a row as then you see his limitations.

Didn't he wrongly get sent off against Albion?

Didn't he wrongly get sent off against Albion?

He did indeed but it got rescinded.

He started as defensive midfielder in the Dallas game and played the whole Houston game at centre back.  I'm happy to have him as cover for those positions if we need him.  I'd rather see him play centre back than Clark who just gets worse everytime I see him play.

I think with some instruction from Keane he could be a decent DM. Few games I saw him in he didn't really do anything wrong nor earth shatteringly special, one of those players that does the dirty work.

It's a bit like when Bouma was brought in by Dol, we all know he was a good player but looked awful under Dol's management. I believe Bouma said once Mon came in & he was actually coached in what role he wanted he improved a lot

• Like 1

Decent player and can cover but is he worth a place in the 25?? That's he's biggest problem we have a number of 'young' plYers who now need to be sqaud members so I feel he's chance has gone. It's a shame look good at RB and decent else where without being great in any. Not having one position has hampered him.

I would keep him in the squad for this year and release him if he doesn't make any great strides.

He cant be on that much and is an option.

Saying that, if this guy had anything about him he would go out and get some games a long time ago.

Should probably have left with Jonathan Hogg and got his career going in the Championship.

I thought he was a real positive in a truly devastating season under McLeish. In the second half of that season I thought we came to miss him when he didn't play.

It's just never got going for him since Lambert came in. Time has rolled on a bit and here he still is at 25 or 26.

I think he's got too many people in front of him now in whatever position you would associate him with. I hope deciding to stay at Villa for one more season works out for him and doesn't wreck his whole career.

Â