Chris Herd

ChrisNichollsToe

I have to say I've been quite impressed, I certainly think he is better than Lichaj.

I'm not sure if he got in the team on merit or not but I can't fault him so far he has take his chance with both hands and has done very well.

I do think far tougher tests are ahead for the lad if he stays in the side, Hereford never got near him and Matt Jarvis was very quiet today. I'm not sure he is good enough to be our first choice although that rather depends on what our ambitions are these days.

I for one don't think we will sign a RB so he has a great opportunity to establish himself in the team and I think he deserves to hold on to his place.

I don't think you can read too much into a performance as against better opposition it's a different story. However what Herd has shown today is that players like him can sit in reserve, come in a do a good job. Over the past few months I've read posts saying that Herd will never be good enough for Aston Villa, and maybe if we had bigger ambitions he wouldn't be. But in the position we're in he's a player who will come in and give his all, and today he's shown that he has the ability to be a good squad player for our club. Whilst I don't fully agree with our philosophy right now, it is better to have players like Herd in reserve rather then a 40k a week player such as Beye.

He played well against an average side. I'd like a few more games for him before making a long term commitment. I still think McLeish will sign Hutton come what may though. Good to know that we have Herd as a very useful back up player. Credit to him today.

What i like about him is his bravery, enthusiasm and endeavour. Not the most talented in the world but wont stop him trying.

e.g rush into the box for the header and then when Ward skipped past him other players would just drop their heads but he chased back and made it difficult for the cross

If he was looking to show McCleish that he didn't need to buy another RB today, he couldn't have done much more. Kept one of the leagues better wingers in his pocket and looked good going forward, would be harsh to drop him for the next game even if we sign Hutton or similar.

Looked good going forward, wasn't tested at all defensively today. Wolves will be a team fighting for survival come April, they were poor it was a nice game for him to play in, I didn't learn much about his defensive qualities.

I totally disagree with this, did you see their first two games? I watched their game v Fulham and they gave their fullbacks all sorts of problems. It could have been 4 or 5 tbh. Wolves have improved and I doubt they will be battling for survival this time. I think it was a good test for him and you shouldn't write off his performance against a player like Jarvis. However it'd be interesting to see him against a player such as Young or Silva.

Think the lad deserves a thread of his own 8)

Did well against Hereford, and stepped up to the mark once again today, and at a higher level of opposition.

Looks hungry, has a good engine, brave, and comfortable on the ball.

Money saved?

No - most young players sparkle for a couple of games - Herd is no different. I would feel pretty vunerable with him there all season TBH.

Looked good going forward, wasn't tested at all defensively today. Wolves will be a team fighting for survival come April, they were poor it was a nice game for him to play in, I didn't learn much about his defensive qualities.

I totally disagree with this, did you see their first two games? I watched their game v Fulham and they gave their fullbacks all sorts of problems. It could have been 4 or 5 tbh. Wolves have improved and I doubt they will be battling for survival this time. I think it was a good test for him and you shouldn't write off his performance against a player like Jarvis. However it'd be interesting to see him against a player such as Young or Silva.

I agree, and for me Jarvis is a good winger who was pretty quiet, and some of the responsibility for that should go to Herd, who also had zero help defensively from N'Zogbia.

Considering he got very little assistance from N'Zogbia he did quite well.

Am chuffed that the lad from my hometown has had his first League start and acquitted himself well, but I think he has a lot of hard work in front of him. That said, he is brave, fantastic in the air, a threat at set pieces, and plays his heart out for the shirt - as I suggested in the match thread - traits not unlike Liam Ridgewell, and for this reason he may become a bit of a McLeish favourite. I still think McLeish will bring in a more experienced right-back, but I think we'll be seeing Herdy on the bench far more regularly.

Â