Chris Herd

ChrisNichollsToe

Feel sorry for him. He was good under Mcleish when better players weren't. Then he got smashed with injuries and whatever off field problems he had. He went off the boil last season.

This season he seems to be getting a look in but why always at CB? Hes not even a RB. Give him a run alongside Delph and Cole in the midfield and see how he goes. He is good in the air and he likes to get a foot in. ( I don't mind the odd yellow card rash challenges). It intimidates other players for even thinking to dive in with him. Just like we did with Delph.. they can limit and improve his tackles and I think he can be a very valuable player.. Especially if we don't plan to buy a proper DM.

Feel sorry for him. He was good under Mcleish when better players weren't. Then he got smashed with injuries and whatever off field problems he had. He went off the boil last season.

This season he seems to be getting a look in but why always at CB? Hes not even a RB. Give him a run alongside Delph and Cole in the midfield and see how he goes. He is good in the air and he likes to get a foot in. ( I don't mind the odd yellow card rash challenges). It intimidates other players for even thinking to dive in with him. Just like we did with Delph.. they can limit and improve his tackles and I think he can be a very valuable player.. Especially if we don't plan to buy a proper DM.

He's carrying baggage thanks to his off-field antics. He will need to play out of his skin to atone.

To his credit, he appears to be doing just that. There is a player in there if his head is right, imo.

C'mon Herdy - do us proud!

He's carrying baggage thanks to his off-field antics. He will need to play out of his skin to atone.

To his credit, he appears to be doing just that. There is a player in there if his head is right, imo.

C'mon Herdy - do us proud!

There is no player 'in there'.

He's a championship level player at best. Never going to be good enough.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did he get a new contract under McLeish? He has done very well to be paid by a Premier League club for this long

Yes.

4 Year Deal!

Aston Villa utility player Chris Herd vowed to keep on improving after signing a new four-year contract with the club.

Herd had 18 months remaining of his current deal but earned his new contract after impressing manager Alex McLeish, particularly since switching from right-back to central midfield.

After being forced to withdraw from four previous Australia squads, debutant Chris Herd didn't disappoint before hobbling off before half-time in the Socceroos' 2-0 loss to Belgium.

In 42 meaningful minutes the 25-year-old Aston Villa utility made a lasting impression on coach Ange Postecoglou as he combined with gusto and guile down Australia's right with Mathew Leckie.

Herd, who appeared to tweak a calf muscle in his first competitive match since facing Fulham on Boxing Day, is now hoping to write another belated chapter in what could be the start of a long Socceroos career against Saudi Arabia at Craven Cottage on Monday (AEST).

Before being replaced by Fiorentina's Josh Brillante, Herd - filling the right-back role which thus far has been the preserve of the injured Ivan Franjic under Postecoglou - showed a touch of steel and the ability to force the play and turn defence into attack.

It was Herd's run and pass in the 23rd minute which released Leckie to create Australia's only meaningful opening of the match for Tim Cahill.

And a relieved Herd was afterwards anticipating continuing to make up for lost Socceroos time against the Saudis.

"My calf was spasming and causing me a few problems. I am hoping it's not a strain," he said.

"We'll asses it in the morning, talk with the medical staff and see how it goes.

"It’s been eight months without a professional game and it was just great to be out there making my debut for Australia,” added Herd, on a night when defender Trent Sainsbury and rookie Brad Smith also played their first games for the green and gold.

Postecoglou liked what he saw, explaining: "I didn't think he was going to play the 90 minutes. I thought on the right side he and Leckie were really good.

"They grew into the game. I thought probably for the last 20 minutes of that first half, we probably should have got a goal and put pressure on the opposition."

On Herd’s injury, Postecoglou added: "I don't know if it's cramp or calf. He hasn't played a lot so there's a conditioning aspect to be considered."

Herd's versatility, athleticism and ability to surge past opponents could be a big plus for Postecoglou.

"I will play anywhere for the national team and do anything for the boss," said Herd, who can also play as a stopper and in midfield if need be.

"He has showed his faith in me and I owe him a lot. It's great just too finally get that debut out of the way and finally play for my country.

"I now just want to kick on for Australia and also with my club (Aston Villa). All the boys have been great, they have welcomed me in and that makes things a lot easier when you are coming into a team you have never played for before."

"It was a privilege and I feel honoured to have started.

"The chance I had a bit of a hand in would have seen us make it 1-1 if it had gone in, but it wasn't to be."

His promise blighted by injuries at Villa Park where he is out of contract this season, Perth-raised Herd is determined to put those serial setbacks behind him and force his way back into coach Paul Lambert's line-up as the season unfolds.

Yet to feature this season - other than as an unused substitute in a 1-0 League Cup loss to League One Leyton Orient - he is aiming high again.

"I just want to perform for my club when I get the chance," said Herd, who has made 36 senior appearances for Villa.

"It's the last year of my contract and I don’t know where I am going to be in the (northern) summer.

"I don't know what's going to happen, but I will keep training hard and show what I can do."

Link

I've always had a soft spot for Herd, coming from WA but he's always injured.

I know some people don't rate him but he does have a lot of ability but no player can ever reach his potential if he keeps getting injuries. It's almost the same situation as with Cole, gets injured recovers and then gets injured again.

I doubt he will get another contract at Villa which is a shame but the club can't keep carrying players.

I wish him all the best for the future though wherever that is unless it's at the sty.

Did he get a new contract under McLeish? He has done very well to be paid by a Premier League club for this long

Yes.

4 Year Deal!

Aston Villa utility player Chris Herd vowed to keep on improving after signing a new four-year contract with the club.

Herd had 18 months remaining of his current deal but earned his new contract after impressing manager Alex McLeish, particularly since switching from right-back to central midfield.

Crazy.

Â