Brad Guzan

R.Bear

7 hours ago, Michael118 said:

No reason he can't get it back at Villa.

If we had a manager like Ranieri or Hiddink and a good CB partnership like Vlaar/Senderos or Clark/Okore playing regularly in front of him it would happen.

It's frustrating.  He appears to be "getting it back" in the Copa America.  Seems like he's getting better each match.  The question is, can he do it here.  You state there's no reason he can't.  And while I think you're right.  I think it's unlikely.  Too many things need to fall into place.  His attitude, RDM's confidence, new GK coach must rate him, they must get along.  As I said above.  Somewhere else, Brad just needs to get his confidence back.  Here, he needs to get his confidence back, and the manager, and the back line, and his teammates, and the new coaches, and a few thousand fans, and he needs a few good results and performances early.  So, while I think he could come good here, I think it's less likely here than elsewhere.  And it takes too many things to fall into place.  I don't think it's wise for us or him to take that risk.  We NEED to bounce back up first time.  And he's likely worth more now (to the MLS if nowhere else) than he would be next year if it doesn't all fall into place.

Either way.. I am glad hes getting his confidence back. Increase his sell on value. Put him back in the shop window. Anyone who watched him last season.. wouldn't try buy him.. after the COPA..if he keeps it up... at least we may have a buyer for him.

• Like 2

Guzan seems to have lost the mental battle.  He doesn't seem to have the mental toughness a keeper would need to come back from making mistakes.  It's a shame because he was good for us.  Who remembers the american commentary from the Peace Cup - Brad "No goal for you" Guzan.  Scott Carson comes to mind when I think of Guzan.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

It's frustrating.  He appears to be "getting it back" in the Copa America.  Seems like he's getting better each match.  The question is, can he do it here.  You state there's no reason he can't.  And while I think you're right.  I think it's unlikely.  Too many things need to fall into place.  His attitude, RDM's confidence, new GK coach must rate him, they must get along.  As I said above.  Somewhere else, Brad just needs to get his confidence back.  Here, he needs to get his confidence back, and the manager, and the back line, and his teammates, and the new coaches, and a few thousand fans, and he needs a few good results and performances early.  So, while I think he could come good here, I think it's less likely here than elsewhere.  And it takes too many things to fall into place.  I don't think it's wise for us or him to take that risk.  We NEED to bounce back up first time.  And he's likely worth more now (to the MLS if nowhere else) than he would be next year if it doesn't all fall into place.

The main factor will be RDM. Unfortunately I don't think he is capable of having the kind of influence Sam Allardyce had at Sunderland last season for example. We needed a manager who can have that influence because we have a lot of players with talent who are underperforming for various reasons. If we had Allardyce or Ranieri, Hiddink, Pochettino, Guidolin, Flores or Pulis and Guzan was in that manager's plans his chances of turning things around here I believe would be a lot higher than if he left.

It could also be the case that he cares more when playing for the US, than when he plays for Villa.

Maybe he's just not motivated enough?

Maybe he doesn't care?

Wouldn't be the first player to up his game in a tournament when he's looking for a move... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KSV said:

Either way.. I am glad hes getting his confidence back. Increase his sell on value. Put him back in the shop window. Anyone who watched him last season.. wouldn't try buy him.. after the COPA..if he keeps it up... at least we may have a buyer for him.

Pretty much this.

I cut Guzan more slack than Richards, Lescott, Gabby and Bacuna and I've already said on this thread I was shocked by the abuse he was getting from the Holte in the Bournemouth game as to me he has at least conducted himself well off the pitch unlike those 4 and since relegattion he's already come out and at least accepted some responsibility for the relegation.

However he needs to move on. I think the whole malaise of the club has worn down what was a reasonably solid performer between 2012-14 into a very nervy and error prone keeper.

Maybe he could stay on as back up but plenty of sides need keepers so would expect him to go for a million or two.

19 hours ago, Newry_Villan said:

Who remembers the american commentary from the Peace Cup - Brad "No goal for you" Guzan. 

i loved that game and commentary.  i thought we had a beast for the future that day, and that would become his catchphrase.

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Pretty much this.

I cut Guzan more slack than Richards, Lescott, Gabby and Bacuna and I've already said on this thread I was shocked by the abuse he was getting from the Holte in the Bournemouth game as to me he has at least conducted himself well off the pitch unlike those 4 and since relegattion he's already come out and at least accepted some responsibility for the relegation.

However he needs to move on. I think the whole malaise of the club has worn down what was a reasonably solid performer between 2012-14 into a very nervy and error prone keeper.

Maybe he could stay on as back up but plenty of sides need keepers so would expect him to go for a million or two.

Apart from the whole flobbing contest, obviously. 

What has confidence got to so with it? He has took the piss out of this club. I doubt he has properly prepared for a game, physically or mentality, in two years. 

Hopefully this tournament has convinced some mugs to make this tosser a DP.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

What has confidence got to so with it? He has took the piss out of this club. I doubt he has properly prepared for a game, physically or mentality, in two years. 

Hopefully this tournament has convinced some mugs to make this tosser a DP.

What a massive steaming pile of horse shit this post is.

• Like 1

On 15/06/2016 at 11:14, meme said:

When you realise he is still at the club one day after the new owner is officially announced...

He's the least of our problems, honestly. He seems to be getting his confidence back this summer with a deep run in the Copa America (although, to be fair, John Brooks and Geoff Cameron are a more reliable centreback pairing than anything he's had in front of him in years or maybe ever), and the petty grudges some of the supporters on here seem to hold against him notwithstanding, should be plenty good enough to do a job in the Championship. I won't even begin to argue he wasn't shaken and ineffectual last season, but I think he's young enough and talented enough that replacing him should not be one of our top priorities.

Edited by JamieZ
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

The trouble for Brad is that if he starts next season he is one mistake/show of hesitation away from having the crowd on his back and I really don’t think as a club we need to be starting the season with players who won’t be cut any slack and for Guzan I really don’t think he can perform under that pressure as has been shown. It is better for all concerned if he moves on and if his performances in the Copa America help achieve that then great.

Agree 100%.  Too many mental scars here for him (and fans).  A fresh start would do him good I think and i will wish him well when he goes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JamieZ said:

He'the least of our problems, honestly. He seems to be getting his confidence back this summer with a deep run in the Copa America (although, to be fair, John Brooks and Geoff Cameron are a more reliable centreback pairing than anything he's had in front of him in years or maybe ever), and the petty grudges some of the supporters on here seem to hold against him notwithstanding, should be plenty good enough to do a job in the Championship. I won't even begin to argue he wasn't shaken and ineffectual last season, but I think he's young enough and talented enough that replacing him should not be one of our top priorities.

He's certainly not the least of our problems. He's a major factor in the downfall. 

• Like 1

Defense starts with the forwards and attacks start from the goalkeeper.

Guzan's distribution is woeful which is especially damaging as we lack a playmaker or someone who we look to build our attacks from.

Him giving the ball away more than 50% of the times with his misplaced kicks is a big part in us never being able to have continued possession or build attacks. 

And then there is his lack of command of his area, the howlers, the general insecurity he spreads to the defense and so on and so on...

Desperately hope he is not at the club when the next season kicks off.

• Like 1

Â