Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Doesn't command his 6yrd line never mind the box.

makes errors

bad positioning

Short distribution to defenders terrible

Kicking disgracefull

Even his good points dont warrant a L1 nr 1 shirt

Not good enough - never was

F*** him off to the MLS, he can flap there.

• Like 2

I will admit that I've been a little enamored, one might even say romantically nourished by a fellow american in the Villa lineup.  But his poor performances over the last few years have not been nourishing at all.  So, I decided I was going to watch the Copa America to see if Brad had really crumbled, was never any good, or was beaten up by poor management, coaching, and and even poorer back line.

USA Columbia (0-2) neither goal could be fairly blamed on Guzan.  The first, Geoff Cameron lost his mark on a CK, who had an uncontested header from the center of goal about 8 yards out.  The second was a PK.   In the second game, Costa Rica started with high pressure, quick attacking, but were punished on the counter-attack repeatedly.  So Brad did not concede at all.  So, he's not at fault for any goals this tournament and has a clean sheet.

Before anyone thinks I have decided he's fine, just needs support and a good back line.... he was really poor.  His positioning was mindless, even his reactions were slow.  Costa Rica was prevented from scoring by a much better organized back line and some very poor finishing.  (Post, wide, high...)   I think Brad has looked lost and out of his depth.  (despite the goal record where he's doing fine.)

I'll watch again next match and then (likely) next round, but right now, Brad is not giving me any reason for confidence that we can blame his problems on something a revitalized club can fix.

• Like 4

Funny how his performances are usually good for USA while at Villa he looks nervous and unassured. People calling for him to leave are likely to be majorly disappointed when he turns his career around somewhere else. The same applies to a lot of other players in our squad.

2 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Funny how his performances are usually good for USA while at Villa he looks nervous and unassured. People calling for him to leave are likely to be majorly disappointed when he turns his career around somewhere else. The same applies to a lot of other players in our squad.

Seems to always be the story with alot of our players for some reason.

I'm hoping he plays well because that way we'll get a good whack for him.  The last few managers have all wanted rid of him and his distribution is woeful - perhaps that is less of an issue for international "soccer" but for English football it's a major problem.

5 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Might have something to do with having the chuckle brothers along with coco and crusty in front of him at the Villa!

I agree with imrebroce.  Guzan was excellent against Paraguay.  He was commanding of the back line, organized everything defensively.  Positioning was excellent. Might could have controlled one ball at his near post, rather than push it out, but otherwise he was excellent.

On a related note.  John Brooks (Hertha Berlin) was massive in the middle of the defensive line for the USA.

9 hours ago, Michael118 said:

It's confidence.

He's not a bad goalkeeper. But he's a bad goalkeeper for us because his head's gone when he plays for us and he'll never get it back.

For the USA I imagine he's a lot more confident and assured of himself.

It makes a huge difference for any player, but for Goalkeepers it's arguably the most important thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's confidence.

He's not a bad goalkeeper. But he's a bad goalkeeper for us because his head's gone when he plays for us and he'll never get it back.

It makes a huge difference for any player, but for Goalkeepers it's arguably the most important thing.

I'm trying to make up my own mind if he can be salvaged.   A lot depends on RDM and the goalkeeping coach coming in.  But Brad has gotten noticeably better in his 4 matches with the USA, and best in the latest.  I look forward to seeing what he does against (most likely) Peru, possibly Brazil.

It is not the first time that his confidence has gone when he has been playing for us. We cannot afford to take a chance that he will recover his form and keep it for the whole of next season because if he fails to do that the goals he might cost us could well cost us promotion. 

I hope he does well for his country and that will help him find another club who are prepared to make us an acceptable offer for him as matteyp has already said. 

34 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I'm trying to make up my own mind if he can be salvaged.   A lot depends on RDM and the goalkeeping coach coming in.  But Brad has gotten noticeably better in his 4 matches with the USA, and best in the latest.  I look forward to seeing what he does against (most likely) Peru, possibly Brazil.

I don't think he can be salvaged for us.

He's easily good enough at his best to be our keeper in the Championship. Easily.

But his confidence is so shot I don't think he'll ever get near his best for us again.

He needs to go.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think he can be salvaged for us.

He's easily good enough at his best to be our keeper in the Championship. Easily.

But his confidence is so shot I don't think he'll ever get near his best for us again.

He needs to go.

I think you are probably right.  Sometimes decisions about players have to be based on the relationships with the club, teammates, and fans, even more than on playing ability.  Brad would need to not only rebuild his own confidence, he would also have to rebuild yours and mine and a few thousand others.  RDM and crew may be able to instill a new culture and a new look.  With some early positive results, most fans would come on board.  But that's a series of contingencies under which it could work.... the risk is almost certainly too big.  ...and this same discussion applies to more than just Guzan, but since this thread has his name on it.....

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's confidence.

No reason he can't get it back at Villa.

If we had a manager like Ranieri or Hiddink and a good CB partnership like Vlaar/Senderos or Clark/Okore playing regularly in front of him it would happen.

• Like 1

Â