Brad Guzan

R.Bear

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

but the problem with Guzan he has been No.1 for 4 seasons and 4 managers(Black managed enough to not be labelled a caretaker) and every defender has looked absolute woeful in front of him except Senderos (thats only because he played a minimum number of games)

just cant be a coincidence with Guzan for me, US defence looked all over place in Gold Cup when I saw them as well

Believe me.

Having played goalkeeper/centreback for most of my life, you can't blame defensive organisation (or lack of) on the goalkeeper.

he helps, but that is primarily the responsibility of, believe it or not, the defence.

After watching Guzan countless of times with the United States International Team, he does look a decent to good keeper. Still not the level that I would like, but he is decent and the least of our worries at the moment. With decent centerbacks, he is a lot more stable in the goal and has more confidence, along with leadership ability (ex. US team). Ship out Lescott and Richards and replace them with a couple good centerbacks and there will be no need to replace Guzan at all in the coming season. No need to waste money on a new keeper currently and much rather spend it on centerbacks. Once we get promoted back into the Prem, then it would be the time to look to replace him.

Hopefully he has a good Copa, so we can move him along easy enough. As annoying as his performances have been at times, he seems like a decent chap who deserves to be treated right on his way out and hopefully lands in a good situation.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 007√ said:

After watching Guzan countless of times with the United States International Team, he does look a decent to good keeper. Still not the level that I would like, but he is decent and the least of our worries at the moment. With decent centerbacks, he is a lot more stable in the goal and has more confidence, along with leadership ability (ex. US team). Ship out Lescott and Richards and replace them with a couple good centerbacks and there will be no need to replace Guzan at all in the coming season. No need to waste money on a new keeper currently and much rather spend it on centerbacks. Once we get promoted back into the Prem, then it would be the time to look to replace him.

Have you not watched us play this season? He has conceded plenty of goals that had absolutely nothing to do with his centre backs. Yes, they're shit as well, but that doesn't let Guzan off the hook even slightly. 

• Like 2

On 27 May 2016 at 12:46, Stevo985 said:

Believe me.

Having played goalkeeper/centreback for most of my life, you can't blame defensive organisation (or lack of) on the goalkeeper.

he helps, but that is primarily the responsibility of, believe it or not, the defence.

Top keepers ooze confidence and are reassuring to the defence. If you don't know what your keeper is going to do it affects your game. Guzan has lost his confidence and looks a liability.  Bunn isn't a better keeper but he is better at keeping calm which helps the defence so it's a trade off. We desperately need a new keeper though. It's a position that should've been sorted last summer and cost us badly last season. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Top keepers ooze confidence and are reassuring to the defence. If you don't know what your keeper is going to do it affects your game. Guzan has lost his confidence and looks a liability.  Bunn isn't a better keeper but he is better at keeping calm which helps the defence so it's a trade off. We desperately need a new keeper though. It's a position that should've been sorted last summer and cost us badly last season. 

I don't disagree with any of this.

It doesn't change the fact that you can't blame defensive disorganisation on the goalkeeper alone. It's ludicrous.

49 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't disagree with any of this.

It doesn't change the fact that you can't blame defensive disorganisation on the goalkeeper alone. It's ludicrous.

All good defences work as a unit including the keeper. He does affect organisation but isn't solely responsible. 

1 minute ago, dn1982 said:

All good defences work as a unit including the keeper. He does affect organisation but isn't solely responsible. 

That's exactly what I said :thumb:

• Like 1

Â