Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

36 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

@tonyh29?

It's the only place in my experience 

Gibraltar the other week made us pay up front :)

but yeah by and large most countries I’ve been to treat it more like a restaurant and that you pay at the end  ... USA I think it varied  from Bar to bar depending on where you sat  ... if you sat at the bar itself they tended to run a tab but not so much if you were sitting elsewhere 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Is england the only place in the world where you pay for your drinks upfront at a bar? 

Honestly can't think of anywhere else I've done it 

Payed in advance in the USA plus tips for every beer purchased. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Is england the only place in the world where you pay for your drinks upfront at a bar? 

Nah, it’s the same here as well.

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think most places will if it's a busy bar won't they?

In the past year I've been out in Vegas, California, Ireland, Italy, Turkey and Barcelona and unless it's a quiet bar where you're sat at a table I've always paid for the drinks up front at the bar.

That's kind of what I mean though, in England unless you are at a restaurant ordering drinks to go with food they will take your money upfront as a default 

me this year Germany definitely don't, Greece didn't, Poland didn't, the default is a tab

Why did 'they' disconnect the track to the former Platform 4 of Snow Hill station? I understand from reading Wikipedia that it used to be the Midland Metro terminus, and that it was disconnected as a consequence of extending the Metro into the city centre, but what I don't understand is why not keep the track and platform operational for if you just want a fourth platform? Is it a different gauge or something? I think about this often in the morning when the train is sat outside the station between Jewellery Quarter and Snow Hill. 

On 31/05/2019 at 20:40, villa4europe said:

That's kind of what I mean though, in England unless you are at a restaurant ordering drinks to go with food they will take your money upfront as a default 

me this year Germany definitely don't, Greece didn't, Poland didn't, the default is a tab

It's the default in Australia too. You can get a tab but you'll likely be leaving your credit card with the barman.

9 hours ago, A'Villan said:

It's the default in Australia too. You can get a tab but you'll likely be leaving your credit card with the barman.

How daft, you can open a tab here with your card, they take a reading from it and hand it back. You then take it to the bar when you've finished, if you forget, they can then still put the payment through. 

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the vine in west brom that locks your card in a little machine behind the bar

I know this because I have of course walked out leaving my card in said machine

The BBQ place by the boggie ground?

On 06/06/2019 at 11:47, HanoiVillan said:

Why did 'they' disconnect the track to the former Platform 4 of Snow Hill station? I understand from reading Wikipedia that it used to be the Midland Metro terminus, and that it was disconnected as a consequence of extending the Metro into the city centre, but what I don't understand is why not keep the track and platform operational for if you just want a fourth platform? Is it a different gauge or something? I think about this often in the morning when the train is sat outside the station between Jewellery Quarter and Snow Hill. 

It's light rail, so the signalling is different, but also, the tram lines don't have points to the mainline. Both can be overcome if there was a need.

I'm not a spotter though, so stand to be corrected. @The_Rev?

• Like 1

Platform 4 just used to be one of the platforms at Snow Hill, in fact the whole trackbed from Snow Hill the metro runs on through the black country used to be the mainline from Paddington to Birkenhead. There are aspirations to reinstate Platform 4 by the middle of the next decade but the current timetable works with three bidirectional platforms at Snow Hill so I'm not sure if finding the money for it will be a high priority. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/06/2019 at 22:02, Ingram85 said:

How those braindead backwards homophobic protesters at the Hall Green school would feel if the school decided to keep teaching about LGBTQ (something that is real) and decided to stop teaching the children about Islam or any Religion (i.e.made up bollocks). **** word removed's. 

Only just read this but you summed it up perfectly.

Why the soft drink selection is so much more limited here than in America.

It seems that Pepsi Max have a newly released flavour including Raspberry and its bloody lovely. I noticed that Coke have also released one themselves so obviously one of them has prompted the other to release the alternative - why not just release it in the first place?

My only conclusion is that because the UK is a smaller market they don't want to dilute their market share across many different flavours unless someone else knows any different?

Â