Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 hour ago, colhint said:

If a team from now played a team from the 60's who would win. I know todays team would, but what if they played under 60's rules. Only one sub, and a shoulder charge which could put you in the stands was ok. A clout from the center half when the ref wasn't looking would never be picked up on tv etc.

Also, they are wearing hig heavy boots, and  thick cotton shirts that soak up the rain. And playing with a heavy leather caseball, with laces in it, that hurts when you head it. On a quagmire of a muddy pitch, or perhaps snow and ice. 

Could be interesting. 

Edited by mjmooney

If a team from now played a team from the 60's who would win. I know todays team would, but what if they played under 60's rules. Only one sub, and a shoulder charge which could put you in the stands was ok. A clout from the center half when the ref wasn't looking would never be picked up on tv etc.

wouldn't the team from the 60's all be about 80 years old by now ..think I'll put my money on the team from now , unless they are playing Blues , then maybe I'll bet on a draw

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Also, they are wearing hig heavy boots, and  thick cotton shirts that soak up the rain. And playing with a heavy leather caseball, with laces in it, that hurts when you head it. On a quagmire of a muddy pitch, or perhaps snow and ice. 

Could be interesting. 

I think if you give the 60s team the advantage of the physicality then you give the current team the advantage with the ball as a leveller

I think the playing surface makes a huge impact too, playing on an old fashioned astro pitch to then playing on a modern 4G pitch makes a huge difference to the bounce of the ball and how quick it skips off it, I think you put old players on a modern pitch with a modern ball and it would be amazing how often they misjudge the weight of a pass and it zips out of play

I think a completely average team from now would absolutely batter the best team in the world from the 60’s

• Like 1

4 hours ago, colhint said:

Assuming both teams are of the same level i.e. top flight England versus top flight England, then fitness alone would mean the 60s side get tonked.  I think I saw that modern footballers run miles and miles more than in the old days.  Everything else (rules, ball, boots) might make the older side more comfortable, but they just wouldn't be able to keep up.

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

Assuming both teams are of the same level i.e. top flight England versus top flight England, then fitness alone would mean the 60s side get tonked.  I think I saw that modern footballers run miles and miles more than in the old days.  Everything else (rules, ball, boots) might make the older side more comfortable, but they just wouldn't be able to keep up.

Doesn't matter how fit you are if Norman Hunter and Tommy Smith dealt with you in the opening few minutes

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Doesn't matter how fit you are if Norman Hunter and Tommy Smith dealt with you in the opening few minutes

Yeah true to an extent, but the modern footballer would know this.  I think at the end the 60s side would be hammered.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

The two that were left on the pitch?

Well there just wouldn't be :) I get what you're saying, but it wouldn't pan out that way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Well there just wouldn't be :) I get what you're saying, but it wouldn't pan out that way.

Only because a match gets abandoned at 7? players left , 2-0 default victory to the old guys. Match abandoned after 15 minutes, Norman Hunter and Nobby Steelez get joint MOTM :mrgreen:

2 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

60s players would do well to get near the players to foul them.

You imagine this is happening during a flowing section of the game. Tommy Smith would have broken your fingers in the warm up :mrgreen:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

You imagine this is happening during a flowing section of the game. Tommy Smith would have broken your fingers in the warm up :mrgreen:

Can we pick a team composed entirely of defenders? Norman Hunter, Peter Storey, Tommy Smith, Dave Mackay, Micky Droy, Ron Harris... 

Failing that, any Don Revie Leeds XI. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

Laughing to myself at work imagining the 60s side chasing the current players around in the warm up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â