Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 hour ago, T-Dog said:

What's the science behind it? At what point does it become too low to cook, regardless of time? I've never understood cooking. 

I guess it depends on the type of food, density, size etc.

An egg will fry on a hot pavement in a few minutes.  Its thin and not dense.  A jacket potato is bigger and denser so the heat does not travel to the centre as easily. 

On a similar topic.....

You can't kill ants in a microwave oven if you remove the rotating plate.  

They are small enough to walk between the microwaves.  

Gerbils aren't............

18 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

On a similar topic.....

Well, I'm **** now working out which wildlife I can put in the microwave if I don't know how to cook crispy pancakes and wedges at the same time

22 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

On a similar topic.....

4 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

Well, I'm **** now working out which wildlife I can put in the microwave if I don't know how to cook crispy pancakes and wedges at the same time

Field research, when I worked in a posh restaurant, the smallest thing we killed in a microwave was a wasp.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Field research, when I worked in a posh restaurant, the smallest thing we killed in a microwave was a wasp.

These new entrees are getting more and more exotic as the year roll on :) 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

White Anglo Saxon Protestant? 

Racist! 

😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, T-Dog said:

There should be an algorithm for this kind of thing, it's so complicated. Might just start eating soup and bread for each meal.

Thanks man.

You'll find it in here:

spacer.png

Cooking for 1/2 the time and  cooling and cooking for 1/2 time again will not yield the same results.  The center will not get completely cooked because the heat of the oven will never have had enough time to conduct into the center and get it up to final temperature.  The proteins will need to reach a certain temperature to denature, which is the process by which the shape of the huge protein molecules with their multiple folds and twists changes due to the change in energy impacting the characteristics of bonds between atoms and affinity and repulsion between various groups of atoms on the surface.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, T-Dog said:

I've got a Slow Cooker but very unfortunate memories of an ex girlfriend who would make 5 different stews a week, all of which tasted the same but with different meat in them. Lovely in winter, a bit of a a bum deal in the height of the summer.

What's the science behind it? At what point does it become too low to cook, regardless of time? I've never understood cooking. 

If you got two items, one needs 210c for 20 minutes and one needs 170c for 20 minutes, how are you supposed to cook them in the same oven? This feels like one of life's biggest problems that's never been resolved.

Dual chamber air fryer

• Like 1

If another nation managed to build up a serious American Football League where it became rich and powerful enough to attract all the NFL players with higher wages, would The NFL abandon it's draft and wage cap and follow more of a European model to retain all the best players? 

Why aren't (plastic) milk bottles air/water tight once they're opened?

Is it cheaper to manufacture them that way? Is it to let the milk breathe? Is it to force you to not store the milk horizontally?

Why?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, il_serpente said:

You'll find it in here:

spacer.png

Cooking for 1/2 the time and  cooling and cooking for 1/2 time again will not yield the same results.  The center will not get completely cooked because the heat of the oven will never have had enough time to conduct into the center and get it up to final temperature.  The proteins will need to reach a certain temperature to denature, which is the process by which the shape of the huge protein molecules with their multiple folds and twists changes due to the change in energy impacting the characteristics of bonds between atoms and affinity and repulsion between various groups of atoms on the surface.

I did not realise such a thing existed. Incredible. Thank you sir.

9 hours ago, bickster said:

Dual chamber air fryer

See, that's another level completely. I can't get my head round convention ovens, an air fryer is space age technology for me. Not a clue.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why aren't (plastic) milk bottles air/water tight once they're opened?

Is it cheaper to manufacture them that way? Is it to let the milk breathe? Is it to force you to not store the milk horizontally?

Why?

I've always thought the same about wine.

How do screw caps work?

The whole point of a cork is to keep it air tight. Even unopened surely screw tops let some air in, which would damage the wine.

7 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I've always thought the same about wine.

How do screw caps work?

The whole point of a cork is to keep it air tight. Even unopened surely screw tops let some air in, which would damage the wine.

But at least with screw top wine it keeps the wine in.

Milk bottles if you put them horizontally the milk leaks out of the top

49 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

See, that's another level completely. I can't get my head round convention ovens, an air fryer is space age technology for me. Not a clue.

Set method of cooking, set temperature set time, do same for second chamber and press sync. both chambers ready at same time cooked at two different temperatures and time. It really is that simple

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

But at least with screw top wine it keeps the wine in.

Milk bottles if you put them horizontally the milk leaks out of the top

Surely they don't if you screw the lid on proper tight. I'm calling user error.

Â