Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

when I started dating a german girl and spending more and more time here what I realized was they pretty much don't give a chuff about us full stop, I think maybe a little Englander syndrome but more just a case of not realizing how little I know about germany so why assume they know the same

someone politely mentions Brexit because its a chance to make conversation and you say something about boris Johnson and farage spinning a yarn about immigration and the strain on the NHS...I was being asked what the NHS is, what immigration, who are Johnson and farage...they don't care, they have their own problems and politicians and policies

quick example - do you know who is the opposition politician for merkel? they are the same, they haven't got a clue who Corbyn is

Edited by villa4europe

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

when I started dating a german girl and spending more and more time here what I realized was they pretty much don't give a chuff about us full stop, I think maybe a little Englander syndrome but more just a case of not realizing how little I know about germany so why assume they know the same

someone politely mentions Brexit because its a chance to make conversation and you say something about boris Johnson and farage spinning a yarn about immigration and the strain on the NHS...I was being asked what the NHS is, what immigration, who are Johnson and farage...they don't care, they have their own problems and politicians and policies

quick example - do you know who is the opposition politician for merkel? they are the same, they haven't got a clue who Corbyn is

Tbf , according  to civil servants Corbyn doesn’t know who Corbyn is :D

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But Serious answer I agree  ... I work with agencies in Europe all the time , Brexit is a footnote on emails after asking why we drive on the wrong side of the road , it’s not keeping them awake at night .. 

i probably mentioned it on here years ago at the time but when I was chatting with my guide in Morocco years back he knew almost everything about world leaders , even that Cameron was leader of the opposition (at that time ) ... he said at school / uni  they had lessons each week where they basically read news from around the world so they were aware of events ... I was quite impressed and encourage my son to do likewise , He could probably tell you who the President of Belarus is ...alas my daughter is more interested in Gravity falls and We bare bears but hopefully it will come !!

Edited by tonyh29

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

How people have the courage to up sticks and move to a country where they cant speak the language. Hats off to them.

OH is pushing me to move to her home country but learning the language absolutely terrifies me plus I've always thought I'd only move abroad to go to the other side of the world. Tokyo has always been my dream or Hawaii. Not Poland. The other factor is being a brit living abroad in eastern europe, I'd be scared of the locals hating/resenting me, especially now with the Brexit situation.

Fair play to those that manage it.

Living in Eastern Europe is alright. Brexit isn't an issue here in Bulgaria, they just mostly laugh at the situation. Beer is cheap, rent is cheap and public transport is really cheap (I pay £25 a month for bus, tram and metro).

It's also been 35 degrees the past 5 days.

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

How people have the courage to up sticks and move to a country where they cant speak the language. Hats off to them.

OH is pushing me to move to her home country but learning the language absolutely terrifies me plus I've always thought I'd only move abroad to go to the other side of the world. Tokyo has always been my dream or Hawaii. Not Poland. The other factor is being a brit living abroad in eastern europe, I'd be scared of the locals hating/resenting me, especially now with the Brexit situation.

Calling @StefanAVFC for some advice

7 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Living in Eastern Europe is alright. Brexit isn't an issue here in Bulgaria, they just mostly laugh at the situation. Beer is cheap, rent is cheap and public transport is really cheap (I pay £25 a month for bus, tram and metro).

It's also been 35 degrees the past 5 days.

A work colleague flew out to Sunny Beach on Tuesday. Bulgaria is a place I want to visit. 

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

A work colleague flew out to Sunny Beach on Tuesday. Bulgaria is a place I want to visit. 

Bulgaria is a lovely place to visit...Sunny Beach isn't. An absolute cack hole of a place. Imagine 3am Broad Street 24/7 with the added jeopardy of being stabbed by a Russian. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Bulgaria is a lovely place to visit...Sunny Beach isn't. An absolute cack hole of a place. Imagine 3am Broad Street 24/7 with the added jeopardy of being stabbed by a Russian. 

He will love it then. He’s only 21. Where would you advise for families to go? 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

6 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

He will love it then. He’s only 21. Where would you advise for families to go? 

Albena, Varna, Burgas, Sozopol. In fact I'm off to Sozopol on Saturday. Small, old town with plenty of restaurants and beaches.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Been here 4 years mate. Knew no one and nothing and now I have a life here. Let me know if you want a chat. 

20 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I'd be scared of the locals hating/resenting me, especially now with the Brexit situation.

I think we've learned over the past few years that within Europe it's only really Britain that hates or resents Britain :)

• Like 2

That question of whether you'd like to know when you're going to die, reminds of this Marcel Proust quote from The The Guermantes Way, which I'd highlighted because it makes me wonder...

“We may, indeed, say that the hour of death is uncertain, but when we say so we represent that hour to ourselves as situated in a vague and remote expanse of time, it never occurs to us that it can have any connexion with the day that has already dawned, or may signify that death — or its first assault and partial possession of us, after which it will never leave hold of us again — may occur this very afternoon, so far from uncertain, this afternoon every hour of which has already been allotted to some occupation. You make a point of taking your drive every day so that in a month’s time you will have had the full benefit of the fresh air; you have hesitated over which cloak you will take, which cabman to call, you are in the cab, the whole day lies before you, short because you have to be at home early, as a friend is coming to see you; you hope that it will be as fine again to-morrow; and you have no suspicion that death, which has been making its way towards you along another plane, shrouded in an impenetrable darkness, has chosen precisely this day of all days to make its appearance, in a few minutes’ time, more or less, at the moment when the carriage has reached the Champs-Elysées.”

• Like 2

I’m terrified of spiders, but if my wife or kids wanted a tarantula and they convinced me to get one as a family pet, would the creepy word removed still freak me out after years of it being around the house? Or would I eventually get used to the leggy prick, maybe even begin to like the hairy bugger?

I still think I’d hate it and want it dead.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I’m terrified of spiders, but if my wife or kids wanted a tarantula and they convinced me to get one as a family pet, would the creepy word removed still freak me out after years of it being around the house? Or would I eventually get used to the leggy prick, maybe even begin to like the hairy bugger?

I just watched a video about a woman who is a scuba by profession.

She has learnt how to have what I found to be a quite adorable relationship with sharks that could kill you.

She actually has developed rapport with them to the point where she will be surrounded by them, all of them waiting for her affection.

Incredible!

These are wild sharks I might add.

I think if you looked deep into your heart (figuratively speaking, don't go ripping it out for inspection), you could find the courage to squash.. I mean love that creepy crawly.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 2

On 05/07/2019 at 21:23, Paddywhack said:

Once your kids reached the age of 10 and stopped being scared of spiders you’d probably start to feel a bit silly and get over it😜

• Like 2

If a team from now played a team from the 60's who would win. I know todays team would, but what if they played under 60's rules. Only one sub, and a shoulder charge which could put you in the stands was ok. A clout from the center half when the ref wasn't looking would never be picked up on tv etc.

• Like 2

Â