Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

27 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Lifeguards at swimming pools. 

Like what are they actually doing or thinking all day.

I imagine an advert for it goes a bit like ...

"Lifeguard needed:- Do you like water ? Do you like lots of water but all the time ? Do you like the nightmare inducing and forever echoing screams and the splashing water that never stops with the occasional excitement of a shout pre-scripted of course,  your mind will be blank "No running by the pool, No running by the pool, No running by the pool,".but leaving your mouth as a squeak, you realise your chlorine and ulcer filled mouth has not spoken for 2 hours,  no need doing the "walk about a bit" by the kids pool all this forever replaying in your mind in utter turmoil, "scream, splash" until it's time to turn of that alarm and get up, ironically you will rise soaking wet and go to "Wyndley Leisure Centre"  and be a lifeguard.  apply email only. 

I dont work in HR btw

I wonder what they get paid for what is a very important job ? (Its one of the ,  someone has to do it things ?)

21 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

That’s dreadful.

I was going post that Steve Coogan pool supervisor sketch but I don’t feel I can now.

A three-year-old boy has died while swimming at a pool in Leeds.

Police were called to Tongue Lane at about 09:45 BST after reports of a child drowning in a pool at a David Lloyd fitness club in the Moortown area of the city.

The boy was taken by ambulance to Leeds General Infirmary accompanied by his mother but was later confirmed dead.

West Yorkshire Police said they believed his death was not suspicious and was a "tragic accident".

'Found unconscious'

In a statement, the club said it was "deeply shocked and saddened" and its thoughts were "very much with the boy's family at this very sad time".

"The child was swimming with his family in our indoor pool at the time of the incident," the statement continued.

"He was found unconscious just after 9.30am this morning, and was rescued from the water by one of our team.

"Our club teams are fully trained to deal with incidents of this nature, and they immediately administered CPR and the emergency services were called."

The club said it was closing for the rest of the day following the death and would be making no further comment.

Det Insp James Entwistle said: "While there is nothing to suggest that the death was suspicious, we do have a duty to investigate the circumstances of what has happened.

"We understand there were a number of people in the pool at the time who have left the area prior to police arriving at the scene.

"We would ask these people to come forward to give their accounts of what they have seen and heard."

On its website, the club states it has a 25m (82ft) indoor pool, a 20m (66ft) outdoor pool, plus indoor and outdoor splash pools.

Pool 'seems safe'

One child, who went to use the club with a friend, said he could not get into the pool and saw "most of the people crying and upset".

"There were loads of workers all panicking... and they had red faces. People were just going in, out, in, out.

"We were just really scared so we just hid behind the bike sheds."

Image captionThe club said it was "deeply saddened" by what had happened

A woman, who did not give her name, turned up at the club with two children.

She said: "I've just been told not to go in because a small child has died there this morning.

"That's made me really really upset because David Lloyd is really good and I've seen lots of lifeguards everyday watching over the children, but I don't know what's happened and that's scaring me.

"I don't think I'll be able to swim again in that pool."

Another man, known on social media as Chris R,tweeted : "We often take our 2-year-old to this pool. Always at least two lifeguards, seems so safe.

"Absolutely tragic, can't imagine what the parents must be going through."

BBC

2 hours ago, turvontour said:

Lifeguards at swimming pools. Anyone on here ever been one? Im at my lads swimming lesson and theres 3 lifeguards just staring at the water. 2 are stationary and the other is walking back and for. 

Like what are they actually doing or thinking all day. I mean Im bored and ive been here 20 minutes.

How often do they actually need to do anything? 

One of my best mates was a lifeguard at a pool for the summer when we were at school. He absolutely hated it. 

He said it was incredibly boring. 

I wonder what the average time it takes for someone's Wiki page to get updated when they die? 

When Avicci's death was announced the other day, it had only been reported by Variety/Billboard about 5 mins before and his Wiki page was already updated! 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

I wonder what the average time it takes for someone's Wiki page to get updated when they die? 

When Avicci's death was announced the other day, it had only been reported by Variety/Billboard about 5 mins before and his Wiki page was already updated! 

Just less than 5 minutes I’d say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Not sure how it works now because its a bit of a monster but Its retrospective validation isnt it? So in theory it takes as long to update wiki as it does to post on here, every update is then checked by moderators who are volunteers 

23 hours ago, turvontour said:

Lifeguards at swimming pools. Anyone on here ever been one? Im at my lads swimming lesson and theres 3 lifeguards just staring at the water. 2 are stationary and the other is walking back and for. 

Like what are they actually doing or thinking all day. I mean Im bored and ive been here 20 minutes.

How often do they actually need to do anything? 

It probably depends enormously on the type of pool. I was at a Disney water park in Florida a couple of months ago, and the lifeguard there dived pretty much on top of me to rescue some poor kid who had got into difficulties. Your local leisure centre probably sees a lot less action, admittedly. 

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I was at a Disney water park in Florida a couple of months ago, and the lifeguard there dived pretty much on top of me to rescue some poor kid who had got into difficulties. 

At least that was his excuse

• Like 1

On 23/03/2018 at 09:17, tonyh29 said:

What’s weird about coconut and Jam :)

Sounds good to me.  My only worry was the colour of the bag implied white chocolate, which as we all know is the devil's coagulated spunk.

On 22/04/2018 at 10:53, mjmooney said:

One child, who went to use the club with a friend, said he could not get into the pool and saw "most of the people crying and upset".

"There were loads of workers all panicking... and they had red faces. People were just going in, out, in, out.

Inappropriate time to do the hokey cokey... SMH...

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, turvontour said:

1) Are people happier after winning a huge amount on the lottery? 

2) What is the point of winning £121 million, as opposed to say £5 million? Like why such a rediculously large amount?

one adds luxury to your current life, the other can change your lifestyle.

as to whether it makes you happier, if you’re struggling to make ends meet, yes, if you have a comfortable ‘B’ middle class life anyway, after the initial buzz probably not.

Edited by a m ole

41 minutes ago, a m ole said:

one adds luxury to your current life, the other can change your lifestyle.

as to whether it makes you happier, if you’re struggling to make ends meet, yes, if you have a comfortable ‘B’ middle class life anyway, after the initial buzz probably not.

Sorry, which one changes your lifestyle? Surely both change the vast vast majority of peoples lifestyles?

5 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Sorry, which one changes your lifestyle? Surely both change the vast vast majority of peoples lifestyles?

read change as transform then.

think of the yearly interest you’d earn off £5m, a good “salary” for nothing.

then think of the yearly interest you’d earn of £121m.

What you can do on those figures is massively different.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, a m ole said:

read change as transform then.

think of the yearly interest you’d earn off £5m, a good “salary” for nothing.

then think of the yearly interest you’d earn of £121m.

What you can do on those figures is massively different.

I'd be annoyed if I won 2million :lol:  

Because even though it's a life-changing amount of money - it's only really a house (inc decorations) a nice car and a great holiday. 

Then you'd have to "future proof" yourself by putting a lot of that into savers and things.  

I'd need at least £10m to buy Halesowen town FC, turn that into a community project, get a nice new house, a car (not bothered).  But I'd also want houses in other places, so I'd need some for that. 

Greedy yea?  But it's never gonna happen so don't worry about it. :P 

2 hours ago, turvontour said:

1) Are people happier after winning a huge amount on the lottery? 

2) What is the point of winning £121 million, as opposed to say £5 million? Like why such a rediculously large amount?

This. I would love to win a couple of million for myself. If it was hundreds of millions, I wouldn't realistically be able to spend it. I'd give the vast majority to charity. 

• Like 1

Â