Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

20 minutes ago, Xela said:

Lewis' ; there is a blast from the past!

I remember Hamleys in the city centre as well. Magical place for me as a nipper! 

Yeah, Christmas shopping in Hamleys was unreal. Proper 1980's memories coming back !

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bickster said:

The old Lewis' building got split up into smaller units and offices. Took a long time to completely fill the building though

In Liverpool the Lewis' building was closed about a decade ago (it shut many years after Brum), the project to transform it still isn't finished and its an iconic Liverpool building. The project has stalled and gone bango at least twice

I remember Lewis'  My sister had her 1st job there when she finished school 34 years ago! Blimey I feel old now

42 minutes ago, bickster said:

Best thing that ever happened in Rackhams was.......

Queuing for hours to get a signed photograph of Neville Southall only for him to call me a clearing in the woods when I said I didn’t like Everton. 

17 minutes ago, choffer said:

Queuing for hours to get a signed photograph of Neville Southall only for him to call me a clearing in the woods when I said I didn’t like Everton. 

He was just a fat former bin man

15 hours ago, bickster said:

Shopping is a chore that should be planned with military precision. Browsing should be a crime (exception for record shops)

And bookshops. Otherwise, Post of the Century. :thumb:

• Like 3

The Royal Mint producing special coins, like all the different 50p coins and now the A-Z on 10p coins.

What is the point?

Isn't taking old coins out of circulation and replacing them with new coins that won't circulate as much a bit self defeating?

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

The Royal Mint producing special coins, like all the different 50p coins and now the A-Z on 10p coins.

What is the point?

Isn't taking old coins out of circulation and replacing them with new coins that won't circulate as much a bit self defeating?

I would imagine they account for collectability when deciding production runs, don't they?

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I would imagine they account for collectability when deciding production runs, don't they?

So for example, they take 10,000 old coins out of circulation, then produce 20,000 50p pieces knowing that 50% of them will get stashed. OK I get that so far.... but that doesn't really explain it. They could produce 50% less to achieve the same result by not dicking about with the design. That costs less and doesn't encourage people to stash (albeit small amounts) money that will never get spent

Still doesn't explain the logic of actually doing it. They are spending money on design, adverising and production, that surely must have a benefit somewhere? Like I said, what is the point?

On 05/06/2018 at 18:34, bickster said:

So for example, they take 10,000 old coins out of circulation, then produce 20,000 50p pieces knowing that 50% of them will get stashed. OK I get that so far.... but that doesn't really explain it. They could produce 50% less to achieve the same result by not dicking about with the design. That costs less and doesn't encourage people to stash (albeit small amounts) money that will never get spent

Still doesn't explain the logic of actually doing it. They are spending money on design, adverising and production, that surely must have a benefit somewhere? Like I said, what is the point?

This should clear up all the mysteries

• Like 1

Â