Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Just now, turvontour said:

Are you allowed to drink non alcoholic beer anywhere, like driving or at work etc.

Well its not illegal to drink beer and drive. It's illegal to be over the blood / alcohol level stated in law

The work thing would depend on the company I would imagine, I can see why it'd be frowned upon though

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Are you allowed to drink non alcoholic beer anywhere, like driving or at work etc.

It's drank like a glass of coke here, it's a bit weird, they have a huge range of options, tons of shandy stuff too

Working in construction though you wouldn't accept someone sat drinking one at their desk 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Set method of cooking, set temperature set time, do same for second chamber and press sync. both chambers ready at same time cooked at two different temperatures and time. It really is that simple

Absolute witchcraft! I need to investigate this further.

31 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

If it’s 0.0% how’s that any different from drinking a Fanta?

its not

but its in a glass bottle and looks suspicious 

Bitburger Radler 0.0% Alcohol-Free

you're opening the door for people to take the piss

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

On a similar topic.....

You can't kill ants in a microwave oven if you remove the rotating plate.  

They are small enough to walk between the microwaves.  

Gerbils aren't............

On a similar topic....

You can measure the speed of light using a microwave oven, some chocolate and a ruler.

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

This is the wrong way round.

Cork is not airtight and is breathable. This is what allows wines to develop and age.

Screw tops let less air pass through them.

This is why you usually get screw tops on wine designed to be drunk young (white/rose/lighter reds) and cork tops on wines designed to be drunk after a few year's (heavy reds etc).

As told to me by an Italian called Claudio, with his own wine and a corking machine (hand operated) in his cellar - Corks are usually sealed with a metal or plastic shrink wrapper over the top to stop air sneaking past the cork. Ageing occurs from the air already in the cork and /or bottle itself and from contact with the cork. His wine was terrific, but natural cork tree bark corks can spoil or taint the wine.

Screw tops and those plastic corks are airtight, but obviously don't contain any air at all and have become more commonplace because of cost and because of consistency. But cork forests, mostly in Portugal are an absolute wildlife heaven. If they're lost there's a lot of diversity going to disappear.

• Like 1

Why is Big Narstie, a man who's massively overweight and owns a fried chicken shop, advertising Slim Fast protein shakes? 

2 hours ago, blandy said:

As told to me by an Italian called Claudio, with his own wine and a corking machine (hand operated) in his cellar - Corks are usually sealed with a metal or plastic shrink wrapper over the top to stop air sneaking past the cork. Ageing occurs from the air already in the cork and /or bottle itself and from contact with the cork. His wine was terrific, but natural cork tree bark corks can spoil or taint the wine.

Screw tops and those plastic corks are airtight, but obviously don't contain any air at all and have become more commonplace because of cost and because of consistency. But cork forests, mostly in Portugal are an absolute wildlife heaven. If they're lost there's a lot of diversity going to disappear.

Occasionally you also see wines sealed with wax over the Cork. Sainsbury's have two nice Italian ones at the moment that I'd recommend. 

It's why when wine is ageing they store it upside down and have to occasionally rotate it. This keeps the wine in contact with all of the cork and stops it from drying out and shrinking. 

• Like 1

When you buy cases of top wine from some of the most famous and expensive Bordeaux producers they actually send people around after a certain number of years to recork it to ensure the cork hasn't dried enough to let air in or deteriorated from contact with the wine and broken down and tainted it.

(I do not know this from personal experience).

On 26/04/2024 at 10:55, sidcow said:

Surely they don't if you screw the lid on proper tight. I'm calling user error.

Believe me, they absolutely do leak no matter how tightly they're screwed on

• Like 1

On 26/04/2024 at 03:46, bickster said:

Well its not illegal to drink beer and drive

Canada says "Hello". Or at least British Columbia does.

Drinking and driving is, of course, against the law. If you are driving a vehicle and your passengers have alcohol in open containers, they not only face a fine but you can be charged as well. 

link

Pedant alert, I’m fairly confident I have a friend

that once got done for eating an apple whilst driving. Done for not being in full control of the vehicle as they were holding an apple.

Â