Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 3/21/2018 at 09:04, lapal_fan said:

I got back from a nice long weekend in Rome.

My question;

When is it a "cool" time for me to start posting on Facebook "take me back"? 

@lapal_fan uploaded several albums of Rome photos the other night, my newsfeed was rammed.

My mother commented on a photo of ones of his meals, asking what it was.

Lapal replied, "Salmon. But to be honest Jackie, I thought these photos were set to private, so can you f off please?"

On 27/03/2018 at 09:06, Rob182 said:

Nope, I'm Rob182 on your matched betting forum. Who are you on there? (Maybe we should have a separate 'Betting' thread somewhere on VT. So we can talk about them all behind their backs? :lol: I know there used to be a PS thread, but I think we need a new one).

I’m Villa Fan in the forum and Discord, but tbh I’ve hardly had any time to do much these last weeks (still making some easy money though).

47 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m Villa Fan in the forum and Discord, but tbh I’ve hardly had any time to do much these last weeks (still making some easy money though).

I always wondered who Villa Fan was!

15 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I always wondered who Villa Fan was!

I initially went with my first name but someone else had the exact same but with a full stop at the end so changed it.

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Is an orange called an orange because it's orange, or is the colour orange called orange because it's the colour of an orange? 

The colour was named after the fruit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Is an orange called an orange because it's orange, or is the colour orange called orange because it's the colour of an orange? 

Is an orange called an orange because it's orange, or is orange orange because of the orange? Which came first, the fruit or the colour? 

The fruit came first. The English word "orange" has made quite a journey to get here. The fruit originally came from China – the German word Apfelsine and the Dutch sinaasappel (Chinese apple) reflect this – but our word ultimately comes from the Old Persian "narang". Early Persian emperors collected exotic trees for their landscape gardens, which may well have included orange trees. Arabs later traded the fruit and spread the word all the way to Moorish Spain; the Spanish word for orange is "naranja". In Old French, the fruit became "orenge" and this was adopted into Middle English, eventually becoming our orange, fruit as well as colour.

Anna Alberda Ellis, Huddersfield

As the instance of "pume orenge" in a 13th-century Anglo-Norman manuscript indicates, orange was in fact first used as an adjective. Yet, the Persian word from which "orange" is derived did not refer to the colour of the fruit, but to the bitterness of its skin. Orange as a colour adjective dates from the early 16th century; therefore we can say that the orange is called orange because it is orange, as well as orange is orange because of the orange.

Wilfried Heinz, Tübingen, Germany

There are very few pure colour names like black, white, red, blue, green or brown; most of the hundreds of words we use for colours come from things such as fruit, flowers, precious stones and other objects, eg cerise, turquoise, indigo, violet, amber. Witness a recent Simon Hoggart's sketch (Guardian, March 19): "His [Sir Hayden Phillips's] face, normally the colour of terracotta, went through plum tomato, to brick red and on to tomato."

Ormond Uren, London NW5

From here

• Like 4

When/Why/How did it occur that when a house party takes place, the main room is the kitchen?

When Jona Lewie said you will always find him in the kitchen at parties I’m pretty sure he was suggesting that was an antisocial thing. What changed? Is it because that’s where the drinks are?

Why my eyes sometimes become blood shot when I go into the dressing rooms of clothes shops. Must be the lighting or the air being dry or something.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

15 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

When/Why/How did it occur that when a house party takes place, the main room is the kitchen?

When Jona Lewie said you will always find him in the kitchen at parties I’m pretty sure he was suggesting that was an antisocial thing. What changed? Is it because that’s where the drinks are?

Its where the bottle opener and corkscrew are kept

17 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

on a kitchen / party theme 

I went to a party when I was at school and as the 14 year olds I went to school with were notorious for taking cheap cans of kestrel lager to the parry and then swiping the decent stuff on arrival , I hid a couple of cans in the tumble drier ...

bit later , I went to retrieve one of the cans I stashed away only to get captured mid way in what was perceived to be an attempt by me to climb into the tumble drier ... was abut 20 years before I stopped being known as the guy who tried to climb into the tumble drier at Karen's party

but I learnt my lesson and even now  I'm the guy that takes Kestrel lager to the party and swipes the good stuff

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

on a kitchen / party theme 

I went to a party when I was at school and as the 14 year olds I went to school with were notorious for taking cheap cans of kestrel lager to the parry and then swiping the decent stuff on arrival , I hid a couple of cans in the tumble drier ...

bit later , I went to retrieve one of the cans I stashed away only to get captured mid way in what was perceived to be an attempt by me to climb into the tumble drier ... was abut 20 years before I stopped being known as the guy who tried to climb into the tumble drier at Karen's party

but I learnt my lesson and even now  I'm the guy that takes Kestrel lager to the party and swipes the good stuff

We used to sell loads of Kestrel at the Royal Court when I ran the bars, the idea was that Kestrel was so shit that the punters would go for the more expensive lines like bud etc at vastly inflated prices. Didn't work... they kept buying the cheap Kestrel. So we stuck the price of that up so it was closer in price to the premium stuff. They still bought it, we made more money on the Kestrel that any other brand we sold

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Which VT posters have met each other outside of VT at matches or elsewhere?  Have any  participated in discussions/banter on VT and realized later that they already knew each other in real life?

Â