Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

34 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

Which thread is the oldest on the site that is still being populated.  I am going to go for the joke thread which was started in 2004. I am sure @limpid will tell me there is a search function to find that info out but intrigued.

I've never found a way. The database was lost in December 2003 so it's unlikely any thread still in use is older than that one.

Does freezing food freeze it in time?

As in, if I buy chicken and it goes out of date in 1 week, but I immediately freeze it; when I unfreeze it does it still have a week until it goes bad?

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As in, if I buy chicken and it goes out of date in 1 week, but I immediately freeze it; when I unfreeze it does it still have a week until it goes bad?

In my experience, yes.  'Best before'/'use before' becomes obsolete once it's frozen (unless it's already a frozen product, in which case the best before date already reflects being in a freezer).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

in theory you are freezing the bacteria so yes and then if you were to cook it properly you would kill the bacteria, in reality i wouldnt try it...

i'm not sure if the thawing process introduces new bacteria, but again in theory if you cooked it properly you would kill them all anyway

Edited by villa4europe

Possibly been mentioned already on here but....

When driving particularly on a single carriageway, why do we invariably raise a hand in thanks when a driver coming in the other direction stops behind a parked car on THEIR side of the road whilst we carry on past on our unobstructed part of the road ? I mean, what favour have they done us ?

Surely the only reason thanks should be given would be by them if we let them through, around said obstruction ?

Perhaps this is one for the boring thread !

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

It's just being polite, acknowledging that they had the decency to do what was right, instead of ploughing on and being an ass.  I get what you're saying, but I think courtesy is a good thing, especially on roads.

True and I do appreciate such acknowledgements. 

When i visit family in Ireland i notice that it's not really a done thing, or is that just Cork ? ?

Just now, mottaloo said:

When i visit family in Ireland i notice that it's not really a done thing, or is that just Cork ? ?

Probably just the People's Republic of Cork :D:P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

When driving particularly on a single carriageway, why do we invariably raise a hand in thanks when a driver coming in the other direction stops behind a parked car on THEIR side of the road whilst we carry on past on our unobstructed part of the road ? I mean, what favour have they done us ?

Surely the only reason thanks should be given would be by them if we let them through, around said obstruction ?

Both my next door neighbours on the one side (husband and wife) did that to me yesterday within seconds of each other further up our road

I think they must have been cursing as soon as they did it

We aren't currently on speaking terms

This amused me for some time yesterday, just the thought of them realising what they'd done a split second later

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

Also, it seems drivers of Luxury German marques are immune from this affliction ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

first time visit to Cork last year, **** me the drivers over there are horrendous. They'll blast their way round rickety roads at high speed, and get all impatient when stuck behind you, as you cautiously decide ramping up the pace over bumpety roads in need of some care is not so smart.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, BOF said:

It's just being polite, acknowledging that they had the decency to do what was right, instead of ploughing on and being an ass.  I get what you're saying, but I think courtesy is a good thing, especially on roads.

There are a number of tight roads near where I live so I end up giving the "thanks" wave about 10 times a day, and I get the thanks wave back about the same number. The roads are mental enough as it is and the more courtesy being tossed around the better for everyone. 

If ever anyone goes when you've let them through and doesn't give the "thanks" wave I want to murder them so damn much. So damn much. 

Thus explains the schizophrenia we all encounter everyday. It's a wonder anyone makes it to work alive. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, villaglint said:

There are a number of tight roads near where I live so I end up giving the "thanks" wave about 10 times a day, and I get the thanks wave back about the same number. The roads are mental enough as it is and the more courtesy being tossed around the better for everyone. 

If ever anyone goes when you've let them through and doesn't give the "thanks" wave I want to murder them so damn much. So damn much. 

Thus explains the schizophrenia we all encounter everyday. It's a wonder anyone makes it to work alive. 

I'm paranoid that they may not be able to see my 'thanks' wave, and will then hate me. 

21 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I've found quite the opposite in Cork.

In fact when I was a wee lad I distinctly remember asking my mom "Mom, why do so many people here know Dad?" because my dad seemed to be exchanging waves with every driver he passed :D 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, villaglint said:

This ^

What winds me up even more is that they gawp gormlessly at me after I've let them through and whilst they're still looking at me, I give a sarcastic "thumbs up, you're welcome" gesture......which probably goes over their heads ?

12 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

This ^

What winds me up even more is that they gawp gormlessly at me after I've let them through and whilst they're still looking at me, I give a sarcastic "thumbs up, you're welcome" gesture......which probably goes over their heads ?

My thanks wave very swiftly and efficiently turns in to a middle finger greeting.

• Haha 1

Â