Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

They also have to attack!

I thought I might be the only crazy one.

I think we have a solid enough back four and midfield that on some occassions we could actually have our attacking players attack.  We're not so shit that we need this Mcleish defensive mindset (even though we will score far less this season than we did under mcleish) in order to pick up points.

You must think lambert has assembled a truly awful squad if we have to have such an all out defensive mindset to just survive in the league.  I actually think he's put together a decent one, he's approach to games is just wrong and he's unable to get the best out of players.  

I really don't think we'd be in a worse position if Bent had played more times for us this season.

Lambert again? 

We are talking about Bent and I disagree. He offers nothing, not worth a spot anywhere. If you are suggesting we could have tried 2 players up top then of course we could. Just not him, not anymore.

Pound for pound for me he was one of our worst signings. I have seen it stated that he saved us from relegation in 2010/11. Lets be honest though it would have taken a managerial f up of major proportions to have relegated a squad of players that less Milner but with the addition of Ireland had the season before finished with our highest ever points total in the Prem, had the 4th best defense and contained some very good players.

I'd imagine he cost us around 21 mill in fees ( we paid 18 rising to 24 in add ons) and was on anywhere between 70k and 85k depending on whichever report you believe. Due to the odd loan period you are looking at him having cost a total of around 35 mill which for such a limited player and what he contributed is absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah but that team was being managed by your mate Houllier who you've gone to extreme lengths in the past to talk about how he served up the worst tripe in your 30+ years of supporting the club. So, yeah, without Darren's goals we would have probably gone down. He also scored some important goals under McLeish.

I think we have a solid enough back four and midfield that on some occassions we could actually have our attacking players attack.  We're not so shit that we need this Mcleish defensive mindset (even though we will score far less this season than we did under mcleish) in order to pick up points.

You must think lambert has assembled a truly awful squad if we have to have such an all out defensive mindset to just survive in the league.  I actually think he's put together a decent one, he's approach to games is just wrong and he's unable to get the best out of players.  

I really don't think we'd be in a worse position if Bent had played more times for us this season.

Lambert again? 

We are talking about Bent and I disagree. He offers nothing, not worth a spot anywhere. If you are suggesting we could have tried 2 players up top then of course we could. Just not him, not anymore.

Without any one to serve it up on plate to him, which we have not had post Downing and Young, it is pointless playing or retaining him. Added to that he has put on some timber and seems disinterested anyway

• Like 1

Without any one to serve it up on plate to him, which we have not had post Downing and Young, it is pointless playing or retaining him. Added to that he has put on some timber and seems disinterested anyway

This.  Bent is a player that needs service to thrive - he won't work hard or create space, but he (used to, at least) be adept at running off the last line of defence and getting on the end of through balls/low crosses.

Pound for pound for me he was one of our worst signings. I have seen it stated that he saved us from relegation in 2010/11. Lets be honest though it would have taken a managerial f up of major proportions to have relegated a squad of players that less Milner but with the addition of Ireland had the season before finished with our highest ever points total in the Prem, had the 4th best defense and contained some very good players.

I'd imagine he cost us around 21 mill in fees ( we paid 18 rising to 24 in add ons) and was on anywhere between 70k and 85k depending on whichever report you believe. Due to the odd loan period you are looking at him having cost a total of around 35 mill which for such a limited player and what he contributed is absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah but that team was being managed by your mate Houllier who you've gone to extreme lengths in the past to talk about how he served up the worst tripe in your 30+ years of supporting the club. So, yeah, without Darren's goals we would have probably gone down. He also scored some important goals under McLeish.

True you make a good point. Perhaps Houllier who I have stated served up some of the most gutless tripe I, at the time, had seen during my time supporting the club may well have taken us down without Bents goals. As I stated in my post though that would have been a managerial f up of major proportions. That squad shouldn't have needed Bent to stay up.

That is all in the past though and I guess it can't be denied that with Young and Downing in the side laying chances on a plate for him he did for a time look decent. Since then however he has contributed very little and clearly won't be missed.

Edited by markavfc40

Lambert again? 

Bang on.

Since then he has been a drain on what is already stretched resources and I think we should have worked harder to offload him sooner. As soon as he's gone there's a lot more Lambert has to play around with (on the wage budget) which isn't doing nothing for the team. I just hope he gets it all to spend...

Cant believe we did this deal so early on and let him leave on the 2nd of January for nothing. 

Should of waited till the 31st January to receive bids then let him leave for free. Could still of joined non premier league teams after that date if thats the only option anyway. 

Well done Villa with the quick thinking again!

Edited by Kingman

What makes you think this is just the clubs doing?

Don't you think bent had a say in this.

We don't know what goes on at the training ground. Maybe it was best to get bent away from the squad.

He's mentioned he was sick of the situation in recent interviews and probably voiced this in training.

I don't think many prem teams would seriously look at him nowadays.

- Bent should have shown the same attitude as Hutton.

- Lambert shouldn't have picked him, made him captain, dropped him and taken the captaincy away, all within what, 6 weeks?

At the end of the day he is on far too much money for what he offers.

Cant believe we did this deal so early on and let him leave on the 2nd of January for nothing.

Should of waited till the 31st January to receive bids then let him leave for free. Could still of joined non premier league teams after that date if thats the only option anyway.

Well done Villa with the quick thinking again!

:D

So you'd want us to say "Thanks for the swift bid Derby, but we'd like to hold out for other offers, or accept yours if no others come in. We'll get back to you in a few weeks". ?

Then what if Derby say "Forget it, we want a striker now, not in 4 weeks", pull out of the deal and no-one else makes an offer for him? We'd be stuck with him and his full wages again.

• Like 2

No, please, wait while we pay him another £320,000. Personally, I'll be glad if this is a genuine free transfer, I wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised if we're still paying half of his wages until the end of the season.

First of all now my ridiculous post of opinion i made above has got so many attentions, Let me take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year to you and your families.

Now-now nurses calm down and back to business, 

Im sure you are all up to speed to no its silly season, so until the bell rings @ 23.00hrs on the 3rd of February anything could of happened. 

For those of us whom are getting excited about getting his wages off the books well I'm afraid we are still paying a high % of his wages as part of the Loan deal. 

So IMO we should of waited till the death and see who came in (If not for a fee but a bigger % of his wages) granted interest in the press has been few and far between but we don't no what offers/terms have previously been made and refused by the club so it would be foolish to speculate.

So worst case scenario he stays with us for 6 months, Whats the worst that can happen?.. 

Someone made a very good point in the Vlaar thread about the £1.5m Napoli are rumoured to be offering. This in turn is worth about one league placing so is it worth letting him go when his contribution in the next 20 games could be the difference between 2/3/4 places?

I very much share this opinion and the similarities towards Bents deal,

Give or take a couple of quid its also whats left to pay on Bents existing deal in ratio to one league placing. So should Bent have come off the bench and scored 2/3/4 goals in the remaining 20 games and turn some of our spectacular boar draws into a mind blowing 1-0 or 2-1 wins it could have been the difference between 18th and 12th place! 

Oh well never mind, Please feel free to inform me of any spelling mistakes or the mis-use of these little bad boys !,.-'?;:"'%… It could be the difference between me having Beef or Chicken toady!

Edited by Kingman

That's still going to be 15-20 grand a week, which considering his current worth is about as good as we could have hoped for.

It'll be a massive relief when he's off the wage bill. Shame we've got another year of paying Given and N'Zogbia shedloads of cash.

Only 25% of his wages being paid apparently.

Good news if that's the case, where'd you find that?

They are only paying 25%. 

That is the good news, but I am sure you knew that.

Feel free to put a negative slant on it though.

Â