Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Darren Bent: Aston Villa striker open to longer Brighton stay

Brighton striker Darren Bent says he would be open to staying at the club beyond his current loan spell.

Bent, 30, is on loan from Aston Villa until 29 December but says there is little point in returning to Villa if he is not going to start games.

The former England forward has two goals from four games for Brighton.

"There is only so much someone can take," Bent told BBC Sussex. "If I'm going to go back and sit on the bench I would rather stay."

Bent, who has 13 England caps, has made eight appearances for Premier League side Villa this season, seven of them as a substitute.

He has scored 25 goals in 72 appearances since moving to Villa Park in January 2011 and spent last season on loan at Fulham.

"I don't want to go back to Aston Villa if I am not going to play," he said. "No footballer enjoys sitting on the bench and playing two minutes here and there.

"For me at my age it's about playing. If I get to stay and play more games I'll be happy.

"Since I've been at Brighton it's been fantastic and I've loved every minute of it.

"I've got to thank [manager] Sami Hyypia [who resigned from his post at Brighton on Monday afternoon] and people like that for giving me the opportunity to play.

"Every game I feel I'm getting sharper and fitter and back to my old self."

Darren Bent and David Stockdale were team-mates at Fulham last season

Brighton goalkeeper David Stockdale, who played with Bent at Fulham last season, believes Bent could be vital in their attempts to stay up.

The club are 22nd in the Championship, four points from safety, following their 1-1 draw at Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.

"I know him from last year and he scored a few vital goals for Fulham as well, just watch him go," said Stockdale.

"He's got a couple now, you'll see him keep notching them in and that's what we need.

"I'd love to see him stay. He is a friend as well as a team-mate and a quality player above all. That is what we need at this football club."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30578710

Let him stay IMO, his time has been and gone at Villa - shame we don't look like getting a fee for him.

Edited by theboyangel

Darren Bent: Aston Villa striker open to longer Brighton stay

Brighton striker Darren Bent says he would be open to staying at the club beyond his current loan spell.

Bent, 30, is on loan from Aston Villa until 29 December but says there is little point in returning to Villa if he is not going to start games.

The former England forward has two goals from four games for Brighton.

"There is only so much someone can take," Bent told BBC Sussex. "If I'm going to go back and sit on the bench I would rather stay."

Bent, who has 13 England caps, has made eight appearances for Premier League side Villa this season, seven of them as a substitute.

He has scored 25 goals in 72 appearances since moving to Villa Park in January 2011 and spent last season on loan at Fulham.

"I don't want to go back to Aston Villa if I am not going to play," he said. "No footballer enjoys sitting on the bench and playing two minutes here and there.

"For me at my age it's about playing. If I get to stay and play more games I'll be happy.

"Since I've been at Brighton it's been fantastic and I've loved every minute of it.

"I've got to thank [manager] Sami Hyypia [who resigned from his post at Brighton on Monday afternoon] and people like that for giving me the opportunity to play.

"Every game I feel I'm getting sharper and fitter and back to my old self."

Darren Bent and David Stockdale were team-mates at Fulham last season

Brighton goalkeeper David Stockdale, who played with Bent at Fulham last season, believes Bent could be vital in their attempts to stay up.

The club are 22nd in the Championship, four points from safety, following their 1-1 draw at Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.

"I know him from last year and he scored a few vital goals for Fulham as well, just watch him go," said Stockdale.

"He's got a couple now, you'll see him keep notching them in and that's what we need.

"I'd love to see him stay. He is a friend as well as a team-mate and a quality player above all. That is what we need at this football club."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30578710

Let him stay IMO, his time has been and gone at Villa - shame we don't look like getting a fee for him.

Poor guy.

#prayforbent

To be fair though, if he had stayed and displayed no overt frustration at not playing, then he would've been accused of only caring about money.

How about remaining professional and keeping your mouth shut regardless? Then perhaps showing it on the pitch once in a while.

He's classless and I'm glad he's almost off the books. Never want to see him wear the shirt again.

To be fair though, if he had stayed and displayed no overt frustration at not playing, then he would've been accused of only caring about money.

Yeah. Though it's the same with most things in football. If someone doesn't like a player, they'll use both sides of a stick to beat him, can't win.

• Like 1

Yeah. Though it's the same with most things in football. If someone doesn't like a player, they'll use both sides of a stick to beat him, can't win.

Not for me. If he'd knuckled down and got on with it I'd not have thought any less of him as a man, my opinion on him as a footballer would be the same either way.

Overweight, overpaid and unprofessional. Not for me.

• Like 1

He has got on with it, though. He turned up to training and worked hard - which was mentioned by PL - and wasn't getting in the side, not much else he can do really is there? He didn't complain about it, just got on with things.

The way Lambert has treated him has been practically criminal IMO.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 3

He has got on with it, though. He turned up to training and worked hard - which was mentioned by PL - and wasn't getting in the side, not much else he can do really is there? He didn't complain about it, just got on with things.

The way Lambert has treated him has been practically criminal IMO.

Lambert isn't going to come out and say he is a fat lazy shit though is he when he is trying to offload him.

In many ways I always thought Bent was pretty professional. It must be have been frustrating to be on the bench for a struggling side especially when you think about his involvement in the England squad a few years ago.

Bit annoying to see him say stuff like that though. It's all up to the manager in the end and when he did get chances for Villa under Lambert he didn't do a lot.

He didn't do a lot because of the way we are set up. He's never been been one to work the wide areas or win long balls, get him the ball in the box and he's likely to finish it. What was the problem? We have 3 CMs that did nothing and a wide combination of Gabby/Weimann.

You could stick the best poachers in the world up front in the team we have and they would all be useless because they wouldn't get the ball where they need it.

Â