Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

There are only so many strikers in a team that draw blanks we have too many already....he has that hound dog look for me....its all a bit too much trouble.

he really did do the saying justice " a pig in a poke"

If it is in fact correct that Brighton did and Derby will pay around 25% of Bent's wages (reportedly 70k a week in total), Villa will have paid him well in excess of £3m this season.

When you consider we've sold roughly 20,000 season tickets at (let's say) £450 a piece (£9m overall), that means over one-third of season ticket sales went straight to Darren Bent.

I appreciate season tickets and gate receipts are now a drop in the ocean for a modern Prem club's total income, but that is seriously depressing and indicative of how poorly this club has been run over the past few years.

• Like 2

I don't get this move. Why would Derby want him? Derby are better than us.

Regardless of that, and it might well be true, the championship is his level now. I've no doubt he'll score goals down there and that this thread will, unfortunately, not go away so easy.

An expensive luxury that never seemed to fit in with what Lambert likes in an attacker. 

Couldn't defend :)

That's what I was getting at. Lambert likes his attackers to work very hard, be able to hold the ball and offer some sort of physical presence. 

Lambert is no stranger in that regard though, if you look at the league as a whole, 'poachers' are a bit out of fashion. Bent isn't good enough to fashion chances for himself, and as a result, I think he'll struggle in the PL, so the championship is a good fit for him. Good luck to him, just not if Derby get promoted. 

Bent is currently a burden on our wage bill, which is one of the reasons we appear to be financially uncompetitive. As soon as we can reinvest that large chunk of wages in a player that will actually contribute to the first team, the better. 

Pound for pound for me he was one of our worst signings. I have seen it stated that he saved us from relegation in 2010/11. Lets be honest though it would have taken a managerial f up of major proportions to have relegated a squad of players that less Milner but with the addition of Ireland had the season before finished with our highest ever points total in the Prem, had the 4th best defense and contained some very good players.

I'd imagine he cost us around 21 mill in fees ( we paid 18 rising to 24 in add ons) and was on anywhere between 70k and 85k depending on whichever report you believe. Due to the odd loan period you are looking at him having cost a total of around 35 mill which for such a limited player and what he contributed is absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

if we'd have bought him instead of heskey then i think he could have been the difference, kept us up the 1st year, did **** all since, did **** all at fulham and will probably do **** all at derby

robbed a living for the last 3 years

think i'll remember him for the goal vs man city and the sitter vs bradford

You played your part in keeping us up and scored a decent portion of goals for us under 2 managers.

The third one came in and you started a mere 8 league games under him (most recently we now have scored just 11 goals in 20 league games under this attacking genius)

Shame it worked out like it has but cheers Darren - good luck at Derby.

Â