Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

I dont get the hatred really, he wasn't worth the transfer fee (I believe we ended up paying £21million of the £24million quoted) but without him this club would have gone down, its worth pointing out that at the time we signed him our striking options were gabby, heskey & delfounso.

That £21million essentially saved us from relegation. What happened since then however.......

We also still had Carew when we signed Bent. The striker options were exactly the same as we had the season before when we finished 6th with our highest ever Prem total. Bent was a panic buy and given the squad of players we had we should never have felt the need to panic as that squad was comfortably good enough to have been nowhere near the relegation places.

I bet you Sunderland still can't believe their luck that they got 20 odd mill for Bent and Bent still can't believe we were stupid enough to give him the 4 mill we have been paying him a year.

Lowest goal scorers in the country and only Hamburg have less than us in top flight European leagues. Really don't think it would have been crazy to play him upfront with benteke a few times. It really couldn't have been worse than it's been.

Lowest goal scorers in the country and only Hamburg have less than us in top flight European leagues. Really don't think it would have been crazy to play him upfront with benteke a few times. It really couldn't have been worse than it's been.

Yes it could, Sacrificing a more defensively astute player for Bent would more than likely have resulted in more goals conceded, less points gained and a lower league position. We do not create the chances needed for a player like him.

Yes it could, Sacrificing a more defensively astute player for Bent would more than likely have resulted in more goals conceded, less points gained and a lower league position. We do not create the chances needed for a player like him.

I see you share the same mentality as our manager.

Our defence isn't solid because weimman and gabby play with a defensive mind.  Our defence is solid because we have good defenders playing across the back 4, a top class keeper and an excellent DM in sanchez sitting in front of them.

God forbid we try and use attacking players to attack,  What a scary thought that must be.

• Like 1

Our defence isn't solid because weimman and gabby play with a defensive mind.  Our defence is solid because we have good defenders playing across the back 4, a top class keeper and an excellent DM in sanchez sitting in front of them.

God forbid we try and use attacking players to attack,  What a scary thought that must be.

This is madness. All 11 players should be in their defensive positions to best ensure we get the 0-0 draw. After all that is what football is about and why I attend matches.

I was looking at the reality. What i said was Bent would offer nothing in attack or defence so what is the purpose of playing him oh wise one?

My point was made above. We have 11 goals in 21 games. We are on course to smash the club record of goals scored in a season (not in a good way) Bent is not a great player anymore but he may have been able to score a few.

Not guaranteed but part of our problem under Lambert is he doesn't try different players.

• Like 1

I was looking at the reality. What i said was Bent would offer nothing in attack or defence so what is the purpose of playing him oh wise one?

He has an almost identical goals to start record for Villa as Benteke does - now he's also being described as lazy!

Possibly the tactics!

My point was made above. We have 11 goals in 21 games. We are on course to smash the club record of goals scored in a season (not in a good way) Bent is not a great player anymore but he may have been able to score a few.

Not guaranteed but part of our problem under Lambert is he doesn't try different players.

Yes I know the stats, you post them pretty much every time you post. Darren Bent is dross, A goal poacher of sorts who no longer has the ability to even move around in the 6 yard box. Add that too the fact that we don't even create opportunities for a player like Benteke who can at-least do things out of the box and what you have done is taken up a space in the first team that would have been better served with a more creative player.

Thats the stick to beat Lambert with, Not the decision to not play an overpaid has been.

On another note No, I don't share the same mentality as Lambert and you know this. What I was pointing out was it is our defensive qualities this year that has gotten us our points so far, This is a fact. Take that away and we are in the bottom 3 in my opinion.

I think you are wrong. The defence is solid becuase our defenders have a bit of confidence in what they are doing, as well as when we defend, we tend to have the majority of players behind the ball. I don't rate Gabby and Weimann but what they do for the defensive side of the game is vital.

If you think a good defensive team is based on four good defenders, you are wrong. The whole team contributes.

• Like 1

I think the whole team can contribute but i disagree that what gabby and weimman do is vital.  

How shit do you think the rest our that it's vital our attacking players defend.

Clark and Baker have been much improved, we've brought in two solid full backs (one we've had since day one) and we've put a good dm in midfield.  All of that play a much bigger part in our improved defence than gabby and weimman trying hard.

And i forgot about okore being in the team.

I think the whole team can contribute but i disagree that what gabby and weimman do is vital.  

How shit do you think the rest our that it's vital our attacking players defend.

Clark and Baker have been much improved, we've brought in two solid full backs (one we've had since day one) and we've put a good dm in midfield.  All of that play a much bigger part in our improved defence than gabby and weimman trying hard.

And i forgot about okore being in the team.

Our defence has improved definitely and a lot is down to the solid back 4 that we have and the options available but you can't deny defending is a team effort. What is it that Jose Mourinho does with his team? He gets the fundamentals right which is defence first. All players have to defend to certain extent, varying on the position they play.

Edited by sexbelowsound

They also have to attack!

I thought I might be the only crazy one.

I think we have a solid enough back four and midfield that on some occassions we could actually have our attacking players attack.  We're not so shit that we need this Mcleish defensive mindset (even though we will score far less this season than we did under mcleish) in order to pick up points.

You must think lambert has assembled a truly awful squad if we have to have such an all out defensive mindset to just survive in the league.  I actually think he's put together a decent one, he's approach to games is just wrong and he's unable to get the best out of players.  

I really don't think we'd be in a worse position if Bent had played more times for us this season.

Â