Alan Hutton

Rich_D

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Scapegoated? That’s as laughable as his positioning.

In your opinion Trent but our defence has been shite all season, it's a shame Hutton takes the brunt of it more than others it seems.

I am not saying he is immune from critism but I feel the whole defence is as poor as each other.

Again,page after page of critism is no worse than his positioning of late.

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

In your opinion Trent but our defence has been shite all season, it's a shame Hutton takes the brunt of it more than others it seems.

I am not saying he is immune from critism but I feel the whole defence is as poor as each other.

Again,page after page of critism is no worse than his positioning of late.

Yes it has and more often than anyone else he has been responsible for giving away goals. He isn’t the only one getting criticism.

He is in absolutely no way a scapegoat.

• Like 4

I think Hutton is terrible. I think Taylor is terrible on the opposite flank and when Elmo plays, yep terrible. They all deserve and get equal criticism from me. Makes me long for the days of Reo-Coker being slotted in at RB 😐

• Like 1

Someone really needs to put up the clip of the second Hull Goal yesterday.  You could see it coming.  I shouted at the top of my voice "go with him Hutton" as the overlapping player ran beyond him but he just left him and casually jogged into the box instead. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

True, if we had decent wingers he wouldn't have to.

His abysmal final ball should be enough for him to think it's not really worth bombing forward anymore (If it ever was). It's not like he contributes anything to our attacks  

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

The he shouldn’t bomb forward. 

I think the criticism of Hutton being caught up the pitch so often would be more valid if Smith didn't want him to get forward, but that obviously isn't the case. 

I saw the Spurs - Man Utd game the other week, and Man U consistently targeted the space that had been left by Spurs full backs when they went forward, but surely those full backs aren't just crap, more a case of you can't be in two places at once. And Spurs other defenders did their best to cover for the missing full backs by actually adjusting their positioning, it also helped that they have a bit of pace, unlike us without Tuanzebe.

A lot of people who say they want to see us play attacking football get very pissy in the match threads when attacking football actually costs us a goal, it's like asking for attacking football without actually committing people forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

His abysmal final ball should be enough for him to think it's not really worth bombing forward anymore (If it ever was). It's not like he contributes anything to our attacks  

Apart from crossing for Tammy to score the 2nd goal ?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, poitier said:

I think the criticism of Hutton being caught up the pitch so often would be more valid if Smith didn't want him to get forward, but that obviously isn't the case. 

I saw the Spurs - Man Utd game the other week, and Man U consistently targeted the space that had been left by Spurs full backs when they went forward, but surely those full backs aren't just crap, more a case of you can't be in two places at once. And Spurs other defenders did their best to cover for the missing full backs by actually adjusting their positioning, it also helped that they have a bit of pace, unlike us without Tuanzebe.

A lot of people who say they want to see us play attacking football get very pissy in the match threads when attacking football actually costs us a goal, it's like asking for attacking football without actually committing people forward.

You are right, players can't be in 2 places at once, in such circumstances a midfielder should cover....in a 3 the wider one should deal with it, in a 4 the winger should track back

I think its more to do with the whole team not closing down sufficiently, standing off is our biggest problem Imv.

we simply have too many players in the squad, who don't naturally get in to the oppositions faces.

What i don't understand is....our opinions on Hutton have been up and down with his form....He is typical of most villa players, good at somethings mostly bad at others...with the odd exception.

With 8 years in the job and Oodles of managers......How is that progression and an ambition to get out of this league.Alan is a good egg, but a weak link.

We really do need to get ruthless in pursuit of players who really are better than we already have....not play lip service to it.

I am not saying spend Big......I am saying find Big.

Edited by TRO

Another player we have whose legs have gone. It's a young man's game.  You can get away with it at CB if you're a good reader of the game but not at RB, too much running involved.

Thanks for the laughs and giggles and the hard work over the years but it's time to move on. 

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciate the team has been useless and we all need a scapegoat but the lack of quality from Hutton is just so saddening, his failure to do anything useful with the ball going forwards is like pure attacking football abortion.

Â