Alan Hutton

Rich_D

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He has no trouble beating taller strikers in the air at youth level

fixed that.

Don't forget to account for the step up. Competing against 6 foot plus strikers at youth level is one thing. 

Coming up against a veteran "big man" would be a whole other ball game.

Sounds like a talent though, will be intrigued if he gets a go in the first team in any position.

• Like 2

Sir Gary is right. Mitch is great in the air and he's totally committed when he goes for the ball, he doesn't back out of anything which is why he wins one on ones with taller players. However, I see his future as a wing back due to his high energy style of play and his ability to strike a ball.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, villabromsgrove said:

Sir Gary is right. Mitch is great in the air and he's totally committed when he goes for the ball, he doesn't back out of anything which is why he wins one on ones with taller players. However, I see his future as a wing back due to his high energy style of play and his ability to strike a ball.

mindful we are off topic here....but timing is important.....not convinced though, the height is important at CB for me.

I haven't seen him play, so it is difficult.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Sounds like he has all the attributes to be a real prospect. Hopefully he can make the final and biggest step to being a first team player, regardless of his final position. We have room in all departments!

11 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

A mate of mine has got a theory that smaller players can often be better in the air than big lads, because they have to really work on their jumping. Alan Wright was always better than he should have been in the air whereas perhaps Peter Crouch should have been better given his height. Perhaps Mitch is a good jumper? Although the best bet is a big b#gger who can jump I suppose. 

I think we are drifting in to the exception and the rule territory here.

I suspect that all the top sides with six foot plus centre backs do it for a reason......count the amount of top teams that choose to go with Centre backs that are sub six foot.

I suspect you will only need your hand to count on.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Good point about going off topic TRO, but I think the last few posts have allowed us to compare Alan Hutton's lethargic 'defending from a a few metres away' style, to the 'in your face' terrier like defending that you get from someone like Mitch. It's been a breath of fresh air for a few minutes to look forward to the vibrant future that awaits Villa, as we begin to clear the decks of those players who have had their day.

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Back in the day, as I’m sure you remember TRO, teams would play with a centre half and a sweeper, Leighton Phillips springs to mind, rather than 2 centre halves. But the game has moved on and good centre halves need to be able to play the traditional role that centre halves have always played, in other words big physical presence to dominate the area, but they also have to be able to play like a sweeper when the situation calls for. That requires good reading of the game and a bit of pace too. 

Basically a good big ‘un is better than a good little ‘un. My Dad used to play rugby to a very good standard, RAF first team. He was 5’7” and played hooker. Going back about 20 years I met the Northampton first team hooker, he was 6’1”. Dad said he wouldn’t have got a game at that level now because they were all so much bigger. To some extent, and definitely in positions such as CB, football has changed in the same way. At the top of the game players have to have all the attributes, unless they are so exceptional they break the rules, like Messi. Although I’m not sure he’d get a game at CB!

Sure, Franz Beckenbaur, being one of the best, along with our own Bobby Moore....Dick van Dyck was a dab hand too.lol

Paul McGrath and Shaun Teale only just cleared 6 feet, but that was 30 years ago or more......even the paper boys, you have to mind your P's & Q's now, they are so big.

Its not just football as you say....can you imagine Floyd Patterson or Sonny Liston v Lennox Lewis or Tyson Fury?.....they are all big units now.

There will always be the odd exception, but in the main you have fight fire with fire ( not sure if that makes sense, always thought it was water, but never mind)

The problem is balls in to the box, can be a bit of a lottery and small CB's can get out muscled, not there fault , just how the power game works.

not sure how it affects horse racing...jockey's must be a rare species.

7 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Good point about going off topic TRO, but I think the last few posts have allowed us to compare Alan Hutton's lethargic 'defending from a a few metres away' style, to the 'in your face' terrier like defending that you get from someone like Mitch. It's been a breath of fresh air for a few minutes to look forward to the vibrant future that awaits Villa, as we begin to clear the decks of those players who have had their day.

If he does that, (having just watched the Man city v Liverpool game where they all do it despite their superior skills) I'm all for it.

Edited by TRO

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 18:07, TRO said:

Sure, Franz Beckenbaur, being one of the best, along with our own Bobby Moore....Dick van Dyck was a dab hand too.lol

Paul McGrath and Shaun Teale only just cleared 6 feet, but that was 30 years ago or more......even the paper boys, you have to mind your P's & Q's now, they are so big.

Its not just football as you say....can you imagine Floyd Patterson or Sonny Liston v Lennox Lewis or Tyson Fury?.....they are all big units now.

There will always be the odd exception, but in the main you have fight fire with fire ( not sure if that makes sense, always thought it was water, but never mind)

The problem is balls in to the box, can be a bit of a lottery and small CB's can get out muscled, not there fault , just how the power game works.

not sure how it affects horse racing...jockey's must be a rare species.

Yes watching the Fury vs Wilder fight, they are giants compared to Ali and Frazier. People have got taller but then you look at the best attacking footballers rather than defenders. in general they are all under 6ft. Messi, Salah, Silva, Aguero, Neymar, 

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes watching the Fury vs Wilder fight, they are giants compared to Ali and Frazier. People have got taller but then you look at the best attacking footballers rather than defenders. in general they are all under 6ft. Messi, Salah, Silva, Aguero, Neymar, 

but we are talking about Central Defenders and Goal Keepers....they have different jobs.

having said that Lewodowski and Kane are not exactly small, Klinsman was not small or Shearer

When Hutton is your outlet from defence you are ****. Soon as I saw him lining up at CB I knew I should have stayed at home.

He either picks the ball up, sprints 20 yards towards the nearest opposition player for god knows what reason and fails to find a midfielder under mild pressure from their attack,  or he picks it up deep, takes a one touch.....and fails to find a midfielder with a pass under no pressure.

Cheers Alan, thanks for coming. You make the prize where it lies contestants look like Pirlo. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

When Hutton is your outlet from defence you are ****. Soon as I saw him lining up at CB I knew I should have stayed at home.

He either picks the ball up, sprints 20 yards towards the nearest opposition player for god knows what reason and fails to find a midfielder under mild pressure from their attack,  or he picks it up deep, takes a one touch.....and fails to find a midfielder with a pass under no pressure.

Cheers Alan, thanks for coming. You make the prize where it lies contestants look like Pirlo. 

He was the best of a shit back 5 today, he also was the only one from the back moving it forwards to our own players regularly. Also the only one putting in tackles although he held back in the second half as if he missed they were clean through, not sure what game you were watching ? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

He was the best of a shit back 5 today, he also was the only one from the back moving it forwards to our own players regularly. Also the only one putting in tackles although he held back in the second half as if he missed they were clean through, not sure what game you were watching ? 

The one where we lost 3-0 at home and didn't string one sequence of passes from defence to central areas to out wide to up front.

• Like 1

Â