Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

We've already signed one and we are seemingly set to sign someone else who can play anywhere across the defence.

Of course, but Vlaar is gone and Senderos is suspect injury-wise, as indeed is Baker. We saw last season how easily our defence can be decimated by injury.

• Like 1

We've already signed one and we are seemingly set to sign someone else who can play anywhere across the defence.

Of course, but Vlaar is gone and Senderos is suspect injury-wise, as indeed is Baker. We saw last season how easily our defence can be decimated by injury.

this. keep him on, he showed some promise last season whenever his head wasn't bludgeoned.

Baker was poor but why is Clark getting way with his howler which was just as bad?

The more I think about it the more I think both have far too many errors in them.

Clark less so but Baker certainly does.

I would let Baker go but Clark really doesn't fill me with confidence either if i'm honest.

Let's see though, it is still pre-season after all.

• Like 1

Baker was poor but why is Clark getting way with his howler which was just as bad?

The more I think about it the more I think both have far too many errors in them.

Clark less so but Baker certainly does.

I would let Baker go but Clark really doesn't fill me with confidence either if i'm honest.

Let's see though, it is still pre-season after all.

Exactly. They have both featured quite a lot in our defence over the past 4 years and more often than not due to injuries to other defenders. It's time we got rid and had at least 3 decent centre halves in the squad that aren't so injury prone!

I'd still rather see Senderos sold before Baker, personally.

Agreed. Thought Baker was very solid when called upon last season. And he can still improve.

But the cameo tonight...

• Like 1

I've kept quiet over his recent rumours as didn't see much football from November onwards so hoped baker may have improved. The answer being NO, in possession he is still a complete liability.. Sell immediately if someone wants him!

Aston Villa Defender Nathan Baker is on the verge of signing for recently relegated Burnley for a fee of £2 million, a club insider from Burnley has confirmed to Football League World.

baker21-300x200.jpg

Baker is set to join Sean Dyche’s Burnley

Baker came through the academy ranks at Aston Villa and has established himself as a valuable member of the first team over recent seasons.

In October 2009, Baker signed for Lincoln City on a one-month loan deal. He was handed his league debut against Torquay United and a series of impressive appearances resulted in his loan being extended until the end of the 2009-10 season.

The Worcester-born defender made his debut for Aston Villa in January 2011 against Wigan Athletic at the DW Stadium. Baker went on to make limited appearances that season but on June 2nd 2011 it was announced that he had signed a new three-year contract at Villa Park.

On 22 November 2012, Baker joined Championship-side Millwall. on a one-month loan deal. He made his debut four days later, managing to keep a clean sheet against Crystal Palace

He made six league appearances before his loan spell ended in December and he returned to Villa. The ex-England U21 made his first appearance of the season for Villa coming on as a late sub against Manchester City on February 12th.

Baker went on to fully establish himself as a regular in the centre-back position and after a good campaign in 2012-13 he was rewarded with a new contract which would keep him at Villa till 2016.

This form continued into 2014 and Baker was often paired with Ron Vlaar or fellow academy graduate Ciaran Clark. Last season, Baker had continual injury problems and so only managed 11 appearances – therefore, Tim Sherwood appears keen to move Baker on from Villa Park.

Burnley would see Baker as a direct replacement for Jason Shackell since he departed for Derby County, and Clarets boss Sean Dyche will be hoping that Baker can strengthen the squad as they look to make an immediate return to the Premier League.

Â