Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Is calling 2 players who have come through the ranks, never given anything other than their all for the club the 'chuckle brothers' not just a bit harsh?

Oh come on it doesn't matter where they've come from. They are both rubbish. They've improved, but still rubbish.

Ridiculous viewpoint in my opinion.

Especially with regards to Clark. I think you'll find pretty much nobody will agree with you on here.

Have fun making up childish names for our players though.

I think you over estimate the number of people that share your view on Baker and Clark.

Personally I don't much rate either of them and wouldn't be against us moving either or both of them on this summer.

Seriously? Clark was easily our best centre back last season, and was also our best player.

Exactly

Last season even though we were mostly dire all round you'd still rack the list of best performers as

1) Clark

2) Benteke

3) Hutton

4) Cleverly

5) Fibian

I guess you didn't frequent the Clark thread where many fans were demanding he never play for the club again after his performances :)

I agree he did show a rather rapid turnaround on his pre Xmas performances but he was a long way off being our best performer last season imo

• Like 1

Is calling 2 players who have come through the ranks, never given anything other than their all for the club the 'chuckle brothers' not just a bit harsh?

Oh come on it doesn't matter where they've come from. They are both rubbish. They've improved, but still rubbish.

Especially with regards to Clark. I think you'll find pretty much nobody will agree with you on here.

I think you over estimate the number of people that share your view on Baker and Clark.

Personally I don't much rate either of them and wouldn't be against us moving either or both of them on this summer.

Seriously? Clark was easily our best centre back last season, and was also our best player.

Exactly

Last season even though we were mostly dire all round you'd still rack the list of best performers as

1) Clark

2) Benteke

3) Hutton

4) Cleverly

5) Fibian

......and they all finished 17th

something is amiss somewhere.

Edited by TRO

I think it's a new look Villa that Tim is going for. Christopher Nolan didn't cast Adam West as Bruce Wayne in his Batman films because he didn't want his trilogy to be associated with that excellent, but slapstick TV Show from the 70s. Baker represents the calamitous Villa of last season and we want as few reminders of that team as possible I reckon. New Look Villa. 

I do love the passive aggressiveness of the word pal.

Passive aggressive behaviour takes many forms but can generally be described as a non-verbal aggression that manifests in negative behavior. It is where you are angry with someone but do not or cannot tell them. Instead of communicating honestly when you feel upset, annoyed, irritated or disappointed you may instead bottle the feelings up, shut off verbally, give angry looks, make obvious changes in behaviour, be obstructive, sulky or put up a stone wall. It may also involve indirectly resisting requests from others by evading or creating confusion around the issue. Not going along with things. It can either be covert (concealed and hidden) or overt (blatant and obvious).

Yeah right pal  ;)
  • Like 1

Exactly

1) Clark

2) Benteke

3) Hutton

4) Cleverly

5) Fibian

......and they all finished 17th

something is amiss somewhere.

well yeah, rather than diamonds in a bag of coal, more like five pieces of coal in a bag of turds.

• Like 1

Short memories.  After Senderos went out injured, Vlaar and Baker actually played very well together for a few matches before they both got injured.  Baker was keeping Clark and Okore out of the team and no one was complaining about it because he was performing. I think even got MOTM one match.   His big problem last year was fragility, not performance.   Clark and Okore seized their chance  and Baker never really got back in the team after he finally got fit.  Didn't he get injured again (in training maybe?  or first match back starting after others got crocked or suspended?).   I'm not ready to give up on him yet.   Loan him out to see if he can stay fit before getting rid.

• Like 4

Exactly

1) Clark

2) Benteke

3) Hutton

4) Cleverly

5) Fibian

I guess you didn't frequent the Clark thread where many fans were demanding he never play for the club again after his performances :)

I agree he did show a rather rapid turnaround on his pre Xmas performances but he was a long way off being our best performer last season imo

who was then, Sir. Did Not Feature last season?

HG16.jpg

Yes, I don't rate either of them very highly.

I'd dispute Clark was our best player either, he had a good end to the season and it seems to have coloured peoples views of his earlier form.

• Like 1

Don't think Baker will be ever good enough for this level consistantly plus when he does have a good game or two in a row he gets concussed or hurts his knee or both etc so he loses momentum and we have to change back 4 yet again...

I'd probably keep him as back up but if we can get another decent CB in before window then I wouldn't lose any sleep if we sell him.

I'd dispute Clark was our best player either, he had a good end to the season and it seems to have coloured peoples views of his earlier form.

fair enough but who was our best player then? Hutton and Benteke were exceptional for no more than ten games in total (he said guessing). D**** half that, Cleverly the same. Clark probably was half decent in the most number of games and the best defender in any CB partnership he was part of.  

Maybe not good enough to wipe away the past yet, as i've still not forgiven him and Baker for some of the most inept defensive displays in the history of this club, but it did look like he and Baker had learnt from their mistakes and were starting to improve massively.

• Like 1

His earlier form, i.e the first half of the season when he played was better than his second half and thats not saying his second half was bad. I totally agree with Stefan regards Clark being one of our best players for all of last season and i dont get how one can say otherwise imo of course

fair enough but who was our best player then? Hutton and Benteke were exceptional for no more than ten games in total (he said guessing). D**** half that, Cleverly the same. Clark probably was half decent in the most number of games and the best defender in any CB partnership he was part of.  

Maybe not good enough to wipe away the past yet, as i've still not forgiven him and Baker for some of the most inept defensive displays in the history of this club, but it did look like he and Baker had learnt from their mistakes and were starting to improve massively.

Honestly? I wouldn't pick one. You might think that a cop out answer but genuinely I wouldn't.

We were woeful most of the season and not one player covered themselves in any glory, different players had good spells but nobody was consistent for any period of time. 

You are right that Benteke's purple patch was relatively short but so was Clark's in my view as for Baker I've just never really rated him.

I'm not overly eager to see either leave but at the same time I think/hope we could do better than the pair of them so if the chance to replace them came up I'd welcome it.

Anyway, each to their own view guess Sherwood's is the only one that matters.

• Like 1

His earlier form, i.e the first half of the season when he played was better than his second half and thats not saying his second half was bad. I totally agree with Stefan regards Clark being one of our best players for all of last season and i dont get how one can say otherwise imo of course

Exactly.

I am quite amazed with the claim that those defending Clark are overestimating the amount of people who think he has done very well (or something along these lines). This claim is so against the general feeling of this board. Please have a look at the Clark thread, match threads and POTY thread. It's all praise, so much so that I think it's gone a bit too far.

To be clear, everyone has their opinion and is entitled to it, I'm disputing the claim that Clark isn't regarded highly at the moment amongst Villa fans.

Exactly.

I am quite amazed with the claim that those defending Clark are overestimating the amount of people who think he has done very well (or something along these lines). This claim is so against the general feeling of this board. Please have a look at the Clark thread, match threads and POTY thread. It's all praise, so much so that I think it's gone a bit too far.

To be clear, everyone has their opinion and is entitled to it, I'm disputing the claim that Clark isn't regarded highly at the moment amongst Villa fans.

Nobody is saying he isn't least of all me, the point I was disputing was the one that nobody agreed with Pilchard.

People always find exceptions to received football wisdom.  The Cannavaro Was Short... argument.  Good feet for a big man etc.  There are always exceptions, but perhaps there's one exception to that.  Can you name me a top footballer, Hell, even a decent one, who has poor feet?  Baker has poor feet.  Notably poor feet.  Like a spooked deer's feet set in lumpen concrete.

• Like 1

Be a shame to sell him now just as he is just starting to mature.

Season long loan however would work really well, he either comes back a more complete defender and can realistically challenge for a 1st XI spot, or fails to improve and then it's an easy decision to let him go.

I'm inclined to give both Baker & Clark more time, can't be easy developing in a struggling team and what was probably our worse defence in the Prem era, just heaps more pressure on young players when do get a run in the 1st team.  Both showed real improvement last season, Clark esp, and have surely got more improvement in them.

Injury proneness is another thing though, has it just been bad luck or is he really made of glass...

• Like 1

considering how fragile our defensive line has been I wouldn't mind having him around as a backup. we seem like a team that needs 6 CBs at any time at the rate we're going.

• Like 2

Just as writing off Clark was premature, so is writing off Baker IMO. He's had less time on the pitch than Clark and his mistakes tend to be to do with inexperience, getting caught watching the ball rather than sticking with his man. Although his passing and control could improve, I don't think he has feet like a frightened deer with concrete boots on ;) That may improve the more he plays and calms down a bit. Even Fibian took a while to find his passing boots coming back into the first team. 

Wouldn't be massively against a loan to a side that would play him every week if he's not going to get the odd game here and we have enough cover at CB.

• Like 1

Â