Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

If that's true then I'm glad he's hanging around.  He can definitely do a job when called upon and we also can't underestimate the importance having players who won't throw the toys when given an extended spell on the bench.

• Like 2

Aston Villa is pleased to announce Nathan Baker has signed a new four-year contract with the club.

The 24-year-old defender is a successful product of the Club's youth system and is looking forward to continuing his association with Tim Sherwood's side.

He said: "I am delighted to sign a new contract here at Villa.

"I have been with the club since I was just eight-years-old so I am very happy to continue my career here. It's my home. It's my club

"I feel I have progressed and I feel I can carry on getting better here in claret and blue.

"It only seems like yesterday that I was in the Academy with Tony McAndrew and the U21s with Kevin MacDonald. Now I am in the first team and it's been an exciting journey for me.

"I am determined to impress the gaffer and get in that side.

"The competition is going to be fierce here at centre-half but that's what the gaffer wants. There's a lot of choice for him. But you can't do well as a club without competition for places."

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~4901495,00.html

watch him have a Clark esque season now!

I take it as great news. In 2014/15 he was 200% the player he was on 2013/14. He can only develop, and depth is a good thing.

Plus, we do not pay a penny (ok, sign on fee aside)

Maybe the club are trying to bury bad news.

In all seriousness, I still quite like Baker, if he has a sustained run in the team without injuries he could do a job. Many hopped Clark gone last season, I still think Baker is a more natural centre back.

Baker and Clark are rather young for centre backs. I think their experience in a shit Villa team for the past years has done them good. Happy with this.

Alongside an experienced CH he will be very good.

I think the negative attitude towards Baker on here are bang out of order.You go back 2 years ago, and i think it was touch and go whether he would be any good, but last year we always looked better imho in defence with him playing.Clark had a better season last year as well, but as someone said earlier, if we signed a Varane then i don't mind neither playing.

if he improves at the same rate as the past two seasons, then yeah this is good. but I'd be lying if I said I'm psyched he's staying, because I'm not sure there's that much more to him. I hope I'm wrong seeing as he's staying now.

Alongside an experienced CH he will be very good.

I think the negative attitude towards Baker on here are bang out of order.You go back 2 years ago, and i think it was touch and go whether he would be any good, but last year we always looked better imho in defence with him playing.Clark had a better season last year as well, but as someone said earlier, if we signed a Varane then i don't mind neither playing.

How I see it too. Very happy with this news!

Â