Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

I'd loan him out. He's only ever played in a struggling Villa side so it'd be good for him to get 30 odd games in a decent championship side to see if he can develop. At present he isn't good enough for us but Cahill shows how defenders can progress at different stages.

Keep as back up, Senderos has no future here and he won't get concussion on the bench I don't think.

Don't rate him as a regular starter I have to say but then I was the same about Clark a year ago so who knows. Central defenders are a funny bunch in how they develop sometimes.

Same as Luke Shaw who didn't even watch euro 2000.

I was born in 1989 and can't remember anything of euro 96, just what I've seen since but I do remember watching pretty much all of France 98 when I was 9.

Shaw said in an interview that the earliest World Cup he could remember was 2010, or "the one where Lampard's goal didn't count"!!!

when he wasn't throwing himself head first into things he had some very solid games last season, looked far more assured than recent seasons, i even thought he was going to have a big season for us then he launched himself into the turf and was injured for the 50th time.

Consistency and reliability is absolutely essential as a centre back.  Baker can have awesome games.  I admire his ability to play way beyond his abilities.  But those are his abilities.  And they are not consistent or reliable enough to build a foundation from.

Sorry Nathan.  Love you, just not in that way.

I'd say he is pretty consistent, he just isn't very reliable due to injuries. A lot of people were saying he was our best center back not too long ago. If he can learn to avoid the heavy challenges and not over exert himself, he can be a very good defender for us. 

I'd say he is pretty consistent, he just isn't very reliable due to injuries. A lot of people were saying he was our best center back not too long ago. If he can learn to avoid the heavy challenges and not over exert himself, he can be a very good defender for us. 

You know I think he could be a real hero for a side valiantly battling relegation.  A Sunderland or a Leicester.  I really hope that's not us and therefore we need more than brave soldiers.  To extend the metaphor we need proper equipment.

You know I think he could be a real hero for a side valiantly battling relegation.  A Sunderland or a Leicester.  I really hope that's not us and therefore we need more than brave soldiers.  To extend the metaphor we need proper equipment.

He is not expected to be playing week in and week out barring other player's injuries/suspensions which I think is perfect for him. He is a great #3 defender to have. He can play left back as well. Plus if he can stay fit for a season, he might prove himself to be a starter. 

• Like 1

He is not expected to be playing week in and week out barring other player's injuries/suspensions which I think is perfect for him. He is a great #3 defender to have. He can play left back as well. Plus if he can stay fit for a season, he might prove himself to be a starter. 

I think you may be right, sir!

Baker can have awesome games.  I admire his ability to play way beyond his abilities.  But those are his abilities. 

Isn't this an oxymoron of the highest caliber?

Please enlighten me?  Looking back at this it isn't the most elegant of statements.  Ted Hughes I am not.

What I mean is simply that he has a real knack of surpassing himself, like a footballing version of the dad who lifts the car off his children in a pique of adrenalised emotion.  But that dad shouldn't be fighting a Klitschko any time soon.  For a limited player, and I think a limited athlete he doesn't half surpass himself a great deal.

last season I thought he had a good season but was still made of glass again. he had a fine game vs Liverpool at start of season and at Spurs near the end and was more solid. 

He good as 3rd/4th choice player but I would worry about his body in next few years

He needs an older head alongside him still. He can't play with Clark and would be 4th choice next season I know we spent most of last year with injured CB's but I think he'd benefit more from a season as first choice in a decent championship team rather than our bench.

Him and Okores/Richards would be a good partnership, a combination of power and pace.

Baker is a better defender than people on here give him credit for.I've said it before, better than Cahill was at the same age.

He is a good defender but he seems to have no emotion. He is quite bizarre to watch. He is almost like a robot.

Him and Okores/Richards  would be a good partnership, a combination of power and pace.

Baker is a better defender than people on here give him credit for.I've said it before, better than Cahill was at the same age.

I don't agree with the last part of your post, Cahill was a one off, i knew he was going to be a special player, at the same age, Cahill was Bolton captain

• Like 1

Him and Okores/Richards would be a good partnership, a combination of power and pace.

I don't agree with the last part of your post, Cahill was a one off, i knew he was going to be a special player, at the same age, Cahill was Bolton captain

Cahill looked amazing from day one. Everyone saw this apart from the one person that mattered. But he is a well respect manager after all so what do we know.

• Like 2

Â