Andreas Weimann

Adam2003

It is a role he is completely unsuited to because he lacks just about all of the attributes that you would want from a forward player.

Running around aimlessly without the ball must be the easiest thing you can do on a football pitch.

Quite possibly. But I'd argue that his runs are anything but aimless.

Case in point: N'Zogbia breaks free for a run in the 2nd half with Wiemann up front and Richardson coming left. Seeing that N'Zogbia is running towards the middle, Wiemann sprints across the face of the defense to N'Zogbia's wing.

Aimless? Hardly. By making the run, he profides an option and, crucially, the wide defender has to commit to follow, opening up the middle for N'Zogbia, who draws the central defender and frees up Richardson on the left. No run by Wiemann - no opportunity.

• Like 2

I thought he lacked composure at times vs City although I agree he worked hard which to be fair any professional footballer should (but don't always) do.

He certainly did lack composure....

... sadly, he was not alone.

He struggled. I think he's OK as a main striker when the team is playing well and creating chances, but if you're looking for someone to stretch the opposition and/or hold the ball up, he's not going to be able to do it. That game was tailor made for Gabby, such a shame he didn't make it.

• Like 1

I'm a fan of his, but it wasn't his strongest game. The shot he mishit was a bit of a head-in-hands moment. However, I'm prepared to give him some slack - he wasn't included in the starting line-up, and we were clearly set up for Gabby to play alone. Those tactics don't suit Weimann who isn't as fast and can't force the opposition defence to sit back. He also did make a few good runs, although being offside for that N'Zogbia run was pretty rubbish. So a mixed bag. 

He's definitely good enough for where we are though, and I'd like to see him playing slightly off Benteke centrally, but we'll see. 

I thought he looked a proper player in the 12/13 season, scored some nice goals (ie. liverpool, qpr, swansea, sunderland), linked up well with the big man, worked hard, seemed to have good technique but has never shown that form since he signed that contract that summer. He still works hard and pops up with a rare goal here and there but he just doesnt pose much of a threat when he's on the ball. Maybe he can get something going again and regain his understanding with Benteke if they get to play together in the coming weeks but he needs a rest imo. Lambert actually was going to drop him for the City game so maybe he agrees.

• Like 4

I thought he looked a proper player in the 12/13 season, scored some nice goals (ie. liverpool, qpr, swansea, sunderland), linked up well with the big man, worked hard, seemed to have good technique but has never shown that form since he signed that contract that summer. He still works hard and pops up with a rare goal here and there but he just doesnt pose much of a threat when he's on the ball. Maybe he can get something going again and regain his understanding with Benteke if they get to play together in the coming weeks but he needs a rest imo. Lambert actually was going to drop him for the City game so maybe he agrees.

I'd agree with every word of that. Good post!

I honestly think he's an average player, that's at a stretch. He does work harder than almost anybody in the team, and I really do admire him for that, but the game is about what you do with the ball and the truth is he does very little. Lashing wild shots and squandering chances due to lack of composure, not to mention his first touch which is more like a six yard pass, amount to the fact he really isn't as talented as we thought he was a couple of seasons ago. I know he pops up with a nice goal now and then, but does anybody honestly think he'd score more than a handful of goals even at a championship team?

• Like 1

Technically he's limited, but he does hit a sweet shot most of the time.

He works tirelessly though and as others have said, it's something we need for where we are at the moment.

I'd like him to become a little more selfish sometimes though, I want him getting in the box and shooting, that's what he's good at, but he's so selfless sometimes (which is totally admirable), that it's detrimental to his main asset.  

Obviously in a 4-3-3 we look to stretch teams back so the wide forwards rarely get a chance to get in the box.  It's something we can work on with more quality on Midfield as they play so deep at times we're playing a weird, deep form of 4-5-1!

Early in the game at Liverpool, we had great shape and it let our forwards attack their box more, that's what I'd like to see on a more consistent basis, and I think that way, we'd see plenty more of Weimann back to his best.

He works tirelessly though and as others have said, it's something we need for where we are at the moment.

I'd like him to become a little more selfish sometimes though, I want him getting in the box and shooting, that's what he's good at, but he's so selfless sometimes (which is totally admirable), that it's detrimental to his main asset.

Obviously in a 4-3-3 we look to stretch teams back so the wide forwards rarely get a chance to get in the box. It's something we can work on with more quality on Midfield as they play so deep at times we're playing a weird, deep form of 4-5-1!

Early in the game at Liverpool, we had great shape and it let our forwards attack their box more, that's what I'd like to see on a more consistent basis, and I think that way, we'd see plenty more of Weimann back to his best.

I agree with most of what you say, but 'he has a sweet shot most of the time'? I think you mean he makes a sweet connection. Almost every shot he takes either flies over the bar or dribbles 10 yards wide. I think even fans of his wouldn't argue that.

Play him at striker and I think he can get 15 goals a season regularly. Gabby doesn't do that when he plays striker so why does Weimann keep getting pushed out wide while Gabby stays up top? Switch them!

Obviously in a 4-3-3 we look to stretch teams back so the wide forwards rarely get a chance to get in the box. It's something we can work on with more quality on Midfield as they play so deep at times we're playing a weird, deep form of 4-5-1!

I agree with most of what you say, but 'he has a sweet shot most of the time'? I think you mean he makes a sweet connection. Almost every shot he takes either flies over the bar or dribbles 10 yards wide. I think even fans of his wouldn't argue that.

Yeah his shooting is pretty awful.

He's a striker best suited to playing through the middle and being in the box at the right time

He's an instinctive finisher nearly all the goals he scores are in the six yard box

He is not a winger who cuts inside or a wide player he has to be played centrally in a 4-4-2 alongside another striker such as Benteke to get the best out of him

• Like 1

Â