Andreas Weimann

Adam2003

I'll duck your question Ponky, but add that I like Andi's attitude. He doesn't give up and is passionate. In the last two games he has gone a bit too far though. He needs to control his temper late in games.

Edited by AVTuco

The problem with playing him through the middle on his own is his touch and control just isn't there and we lose it too often.

Good poacher no doubt but all round game isn't good enough to play consistently through the middle.

It was a shame he never broke through in the MON years as I think the only formation were he could play regularly down the middle would be playing with a partner in a 4-4-2.

I remember the first few games under Lambert we sort of played a diamond in midfield and two upfront with Weimann dropping off Bent at the time and he was decent in that position.

I have no issue with him in the squad as he's a goalscorer and we don't have many of them.

But for the consistent cries of "play him through the middle" he simply isn't good enough to play 10 in a row there unless we go back to a straight 4-4-2 and I don't see that happening while Lambert is in charge.

• Like 2

I agree with that VillaChris. I think the best bet for the future may be him playing off Benteke in a 4-4-2 or even the hated (by me, but I'm starting to see the necessity of it) 3-5-2. He isn't strong enough to be a single striker in the modern PL really, but with a partner he could be very effective, especially as he seems to have a good understanding with Benteke. For the next 2 games anyway, he should absolutely be starting up front, and Gabby should be dropped. 

• Like 1

3-5-2 really isn't awful. We beat City like it last season, without Benteke as well, and it's certainly better suited to what we have than 4-3-3. I'm not sure a flat 4-4-2 is really ideal, but 4-3-1-2 I wouldn't be against. We really need 2 up top to give us more of a threat and to get the best out of Andi.

• Like 1

3-5-2 actually makes sense with our makeup of the squad. I'm surprised Lambert seems to have ditched it completely this season, you'd have thought it might've reappeared just to stop our losing run.

The fullbacks have enough energy to play it.

What a hive of agreement! My thought process has been exactly the same. I do believe that, given our obvious goalscoring issues, we need to play 2 up top and then work the rest of the formation out from that. It may well be that 3-5-2 is the best way to do that, all we seem to do is give it to the full-backs to cross it in, might as well do the same but with 2 targets to hit. 

• Like 1

What a hive of agreement! My thought process has been exactly the same. I do believe that, given our obvious goalscoring issues, we need to play 2 up top and then work the rest of the formation out from that. It may well be that 3-5-2 is the best way to do that, all we seem to do is give it to the full-backs to cross it in, might as well do the same but with 2 targets to hit.

Stop talking sense 3-5-2 discussioners, this is the Weimann thread after all.

Struggling to think of another premier team he would get game with.

For all his faults he still has 3 premier league goals in a team that hardly creates anything so it's not all bad.

Edit: He'd hardly end up back in the Austrian league if he left us.

Edited by VillaChris

When he was clicking with Benteke 2 seasons ago, he was the golden boy. I still think when they finally get some games together again, that chemistry can spark again. God knows we need it.

• Like 1

Weimann is not the greatest player in the world but he has great energy and he has a knack of always getting a chance of when he is in the box. Problem is he is stifled on the wing a lot and cant get in the box. look at his goal vs Spurs that was as instinctive a finish that you will see all season in the Premier LEague

I have no issue with him in the squad as he's a goalscorer and we don't have many of them.

But for the consistent cries of "play him through the middle" he simply isn't good enough to play 10 in a row there unless we go back to a straight 4-4-2 and I don't see that happening while Lambert is in charge.

How do we know unless we give him the chance. I don't rate him as a great footballer, but if there is anyone I would have in the box right now when a chance drops it is this guy.

We play him up front, and we should give him a proper chance, we are not performing or scoring regardless right now with Gabby up top so why can't Weimann be given a chance, we have nothing to lose.

He doesn't have the all round game to play on the wing, that much is clear but this guy can score goals. He is far more intelligent, sharp and mobile than the shite options we have in Gabby and Bent.

• Like 2

Â