Andreas Weimann

Adam2003

His work rate is unquestionable, and despite expecting that as a pre requisite.....it's essential.

He is limited, but playing him as a lone striker is impossible with his ball control.

I see him as a squad player as opposed to a first teamer in normal circumstances.

Edited by TRO

Really his standard was 12-13, he was pretty that year once he broke into the team, scored a decent amount of goals and worked well with Benteke and Gabby. That was in the 4-3-3 btw.

Last season was nowhere near that level for whatever reason but you do get that a lot with young players.

He's started this season much better so I'm giving him some leeway so far.

I think it's easy to say play him down the middle because he can finish...but we saw on Saturday for all his running he can't stretch and cause havoc to defences the way Gabby can and obviously Benteke.

Of course 4-4-2 could be tried at least at home but we'd still look unbalanced in midfield and run the risk of being overrun by teams playing with three central midfielders.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

He's dreadful, a bit like forrest gump he can runaround forever but has no end product or no brain, its a poor doo when your actually praying one of your players is injured so he will get substituted which is what i did last night against QPR but oh no Lambert refuses too take him off.

• Like 1

Sorry but not good enough for where he is being played.

Yes he is not but as a striker, he actually has a good strike rate. Lambert's persistence of playing the 4-3-3 with strikers as the wingers is hurting the team. Either play proper wingers, or change the formation. Weimann cannot play wing. He is a poacher that is being forced to attack defenders, whip in crosses and defend. It just doesn't work.

• Like 1

He lacks the fundamentals. His first touch is very poor, he doesn't have particularly good technique, his control of a football isn't very good and his distribution isn't very good either. On top of that he doesn't have much pace and he's not very strong on the ball. As a finisher he's half decent but certainly misses his share of very good chances.

Overall, I have no idea why we retain his services, he should be sold.

Played up front with Benteke in a 442, I think you would see a much better player. No one can deny his work rate, and he does get into good positions. Fluffed a couple of good chances last night again, but he does at least get into those positions.

You want to sell a striker - make it Agbonlahor - if you can get someone to buy him.

Played up front with Benteke in a 442, I think you would see a much better player. No one can deny his work rate, and he does get into good positions. Fluffed a couple of good chances last night again, but he does at least get into those positions.

You want to sell a striker - make it Agbonlahor - if you can get someone to buy him.

I tend to agree but has Lambert ever played a proper 4-4-2 though? Not much, so i think we can rule it out.

I think most strikers would look better playing through the middle with Benteke. That's because Benteke is a good player. Has anyone ever said that someone would look a better player by playing up front with Weimann?

Why don't our other strikers seem to look better with Benteke then, if it's got nothing to do with Andi?

didnt he play down the middle against Hull and he looked good

There was no way we should have went with the three middle men we did agains QPR.  We should have went at them more with a 4-2-3-1 with Andy playing off Bentekke.  Nzogiba for Cleverly or Westwood. 

Can understand doing it against the top sides but not QPR.  I'd think Keane probably had a part in that to be honest.

• Like 1

Wiemanns strengths are his movement, which is, I believe intelligent and he's alright at sticking it in the onion bag most of the time, when he gets the chance. 

So, to me, playing him as a right-sided forward in a narrow front 3 is pretty criminal.

We need to play Wiemann and Benteke up front.

With Gabby playing wide.

We need width so badly, it's untrue.  That's the thing you can throw at Lambert.

• Like 1

Â