Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Just now, Seat68 said:

Paddington is pretty good. Paddington 2 is excellent. I know what you are thinking, but its just a remake of a kids cartoon. Not a joke, not being ironic. Paddington 2 is fantastic. You don’t need to watch Paddington 1, but its worth watching. I recommend that even if you dislike 1, persist and watch 2.  

Fair enough, I’ll watch it at some point then. To be fair I quite liked the original series as a kid. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Is Paddington really that good? I’ve never even considered watching it, just assumed it would be rubbish. 

Put it this way, it even makes you enjoy a film with Hugh Grant in it

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Paddington is pretty good. Paddington 2 is excellent. I know what you are thinking, but its just a remake of a kids cartoon. Not a joke, not being ironic. Paddington 2 is fantastic. You don’t need to watch Paddington 1, but its worth watching. I recommend that even if you dislike 1, persist and watch 2.  

Absolutely this. 1 is nice family entertainment. 2 is a masterclass in filmmaking. And yes, it surprised me, I wasn't expecting much, but it's one of my favourite films. 

On 11/02/2021 at 12:03, sidcow said:

She sounds quite upset about it.  I think you're being mean.

You should do something to cheer her up a bit, you know, give her a bit of a lift.

You better hope she doesn't escalate things with HR.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Is Paddington really that good? I’ve never even considered watching it, just assumed it would be rubbish. 

Me too.  I'm even reading the above posts with huge amounts of suspicion, like everyone's just having a larf. To say it doesn't seem to be my cup of tea would be a massive understatement.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

Me too.  I'm even reading the above posts with huge amounts of suspicion, like everyone's just having a larf. To say it doesn't seem to be my cup of tea would be a massive understatement.

I swear this is not some elaborate ruse to get people to watch it. It is not Nativity 2, it really isn’t 

• Like 2

Nah it not a wind up, the Paddington films are good fun. I don’t know if I’d wax lyrical about them quite as much as others, but they are certainly very enjoyable. 

You can spend half the time going “Oh they’re in this too?!!!” for the briefest cameos.

• Like 3

I viewed the Paddington films with about as much cynical suspicion as probably possible.  I can't recall exactly how I ended up watching it (possibly as a sop to stop the 3 year old having another meltdown #topparenting), but it resulted in 90 mins of me sat there grinning like an idiot.  Joyous, brilliant stuff.

Edited by CardiffGreens
big phat typos
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yeah, I was wondering whether I was being tricked into something there too. The reviews on here seem genuine, which just leaves two possibilities. The films are surprisingly good, or the VT massive have very bad taste in films :D

I will watch it to find out, convincing the Mrs that I want to watch it will take some doing though. 

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

Yeah, I was wondering whether I was being tricked into something there too. The reviews on here seem genuine, which just leaves two possibilities. The films are surprisingly good, or the VT massive have very bad taste in films :D

I will watch it to find out, convincing the Mrs that I want to watch it will take some doing though. 

She'll probably just get your hard drive checked on the sly.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

You'll get a very good idea of the sort of humour you're in for within about 2 minutes of the sepia-tinged introduction to be honest.  So you can always say you stuck it on "by accident" :)

36 minutes ago, CardiffGreens said:

I viewed the Paddington films with about as much cynical suspicion as probably possible.  I can't recall exactly how I ended up watching it (possibly as a sop to stop the 3 year old having another meltdown #topparenting), but it resulted in 90 mins of me sat there grinning like an idiot.  Joyous, brilliant stuff.

Same. Grandchild minding. Oh, this is pretty good. Then the second film was even better. I've since watched P2 without any kids around. The barber shop scene. The jailbreak. The train chase. All classics. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Same. Grandchild minding. Oh, this is pretty good. Then the second film was even better. I've since watched P2 without any kids around. The barber shop scene. The jailbreak. The train chase. All classics. 

The window washing scene with the plant pot always cracks me up. 

The police chase and the underground scenes in the first one are great too. 

• Like 1

Â