Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

I’d love to see inside the mind of the person  that thought that was a good idea 

and they didn’t have anyone in the production team who thought it was a bad idea.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

and they didn’t have anyone in the production team who thought it was a bad idea.

Seems she also won the public vote that episode !!

it was back in 2013 , ive seen it on one of those channel 5 “shocking moments” type programmes

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

yeah, this conversation crops up from time to time .

It's just for me the idea of coming home from work and kicking back in front of the TV with a beer or glass of wine just seems a bit alien ....  likewise with dinner , I'd rather have a PepsiMax with it than a beer /wine

It might be as I was always sporty when I was younger, so invariably I'd come home from work and go out to play squash , football go for a run etc and so the notion of drinking at home wasn't on my radar .

For me there is nothing  nightmarish about going on a pub crawl with mates ,  it's just an informal schedule, and we kinda kick back in the sunshine , look at pretty women walking by , tell stupid jokes  ,  laugh at the same old things  , watch some sport and then find a bar with some live music  until the early hours of morning  .. I'll never tire of that ,hopefully !!

Throw abroad into the mix, and you get the same vibe just with a bit of additional culture thrown in   ... the experience  of  a pub crawl around Transnistria whilst learning about the civil war and looking at pretty women    , followed by watching FC Zimbru Chişinău , followed by some mosh pitting to a  Moldovan band and drinking cocktails in a local park at 4 am  ...

I get it's not everyone's bag , but I just love it  .. a glass of wine as I watch bake off just doesn't do it for me

For me, it's the difference between drinking for pleasure and drinking to make yourself feel seriously ill. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Melbourne you say?

Do you know Preston market?

I've just found out this amazing mural (well it's amazing if you're a Beach Boys nut) has been painted there).

spacer.png

I do indeed. Travel there once a week to buy a pensioner his groceries and cigarettes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

For me there is nothing  nightmarish about going on a pub crawl with mates ,  it's just an informal schedule, and we kinda kick back in the sunshine , look at pretty women walking by , tell stupid jokes  ,  laugh at the same old things  , watch some sport and then find a bar with some live music  until the early hours of morning  .. I'll never tire of that ,hopefully !!

Throw abroad into the mix, and you get the same vibe just with a bit of additional culture thrown in   ... the experience  of  a pub crawl around Transnistria whilst learning about the civil war and looking at pretty women    , followed by watching FC Zimbru Chişinău , followed by some mosh pitting to a  Moldovan band and drinking cocktails in a local park at 4 am  ...

I get it's not everyone's bag , but I just love it  .. a glass of wine as I watch bake off just doesn't do it for me

Pretty much the same Tone, nothing beats a pub/bar crawl in a foreign city, especially a new one, with your mates. Memories are made and still laughed about when we meet up from time to time. Happiest days of my life. 

90% of my drinks at home are tea and coke zero. I'm actually drinking the latter now. I don't mind the odd ale at home, especially in the better weather, but its only ever one can a night. 

• Like 2

I've got to admit I've been drinking far too much at home alone, just for something to do, which is something I'd never do pre-lockdown. Usually I'd have a drink or two on a Friday or watching villa on the telly, but otherwise my drinking was of the pub crawl variety. It's been far too easy to finish work and work through the better part of a bottle of spirits, I'm on to a dry few weeks to properly kick that habit I think!

The nice thing about a long leisurely pub crawl is I can stretch it out so long I don't get properly hammered, but spend a long time on the edge of being pleasantly merry. It's going to be an all day affair when the pubs first open again I think!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've got to admit I've been drinking far too much at home alone, just for something to do, which is something I'd never do pre-lockdown. Usually I'd have a drink or two on a Friday or watching villa on the telly, but otherwise my drinking was of the pub crawl variety. It's been far too easy to finish work and work through the better part of a bottle of spirits, I'm on to a dry few weeks to properly kick that habit I think!

I thought the tipple thread was quiet :) 

I've reduced my intake.... have barely had an alcoholic drink this year. Still got 30 or so cans/bottles of liquid exotica to try when the mood takes me. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Xela said:

Wasn't the Ashes in 2005 on normal TV? C4 I think? As normal as C4 can be :D 

Pedant alert but Jimmy wasn't in the side back then, he had trouble knowing which side of the stumps the ball would end up at that stage.  Amazing how he went from that to being our best ever bowler.  I still never thought I'd see a terrestrial channel wanting to show Tests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

The pandemic means the daughter is living at home with us temporarily. This has distinct advantages, she's really good at baking. 

Can't wait for this tonight. Orange and Lemongrass Meringue

5F4A2D70-2C70-4893-8CE5-B28A61FD20D9.jpeg

So, it contains... oranges, lemons and... grass...? 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

So, it contains... oranges, lemons and... grass...? 

I'm not sure if this is just deadpan humour going over my head, but no. Lemongrass is a citrusy herb used in lots of Asian cuisine.

25 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not sure if this is just deadpan humour going over my head, but no. Lemongrass is a citrusy herb used in lots of Asian cuisine.

I know.  ;)

13 hours ago, bickster said:

The pandemic means the daughter is living at home with us temporarily. This has distinct advantages, she's really good at baking. 

Can't wait for this tonight. Orange and Lemongrass Meringue

5F4A2D70-2C70-4893-8CE5-B28A61FD20D9.jpeg

You had me until you said meringue, lost it with the last word! 

Horrible stuff. 

But hope you enjoyed it. 

16 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

You had me until you said meringue, lost it with the last word! 

Horrible stuff. 

But hope you enjoyed it. 

It was f***ing lovely! Home made meringue is NOTHING like any you buy in the shops. The stuff you buy in shops is generally nasty

1 minute ago, bickster said:

It was f***ing lovely! Home made meringue is NOTHING like any you buy in the shops. The stuff you buy in shops is generally nasty

Tried home made and it is better than shop bought but still not for me. Too sugary and with a weird texture. But I'm not really into sweets/deserts and would rather have more starter/main. 

• Like 1

Â