Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

My mom loved a bit of Pitney so grew up listening to his records a lot. He was cracking and has many great songs in his catalogue.

I have a similar fondness for Matt Monroe and Doctor Hook 😅

luckily there was a lot of Stones and Kinks played too but have never shared my dad’s love of the New Seekers... 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

My mom loved a bit of Pitney so grew up listening to his records a lot. He was cracking and has many great songs in his catalogue.

I have a similar fondness for Matt Monroe and Doctor Hook 😅

luckily there was a lot of Stones and Kinks played too but have never shared my dad’s love of the New Seekers... 😂

Yes, I have to agree with all this. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

Finally getting noticed as a good employee.

Boss told me today will be getting a 8% raise starting with my next check and also gave me and my assistant gift cards to a local steak house.

Just nice to know that sometimes employers and management do give a ****.

Don't forget to order a side salad with it.

A big one 😉

• Like 2

Video doing the rounds on my WhatsApp of 2 youngish cockney guys discussing wind turbines 

Don't want to spoil it but it's incredible what one of them comes out with 

There's a like in it for anyone who can find it and post it here 

Edited by villa4europe

1 hour ago, blandy said:

My boiler stopped making hot water for the shower, the downstairs sink and then the bathroom sink. The bath still worked. I investigated on that internet tube thing and ordered a part it might be from e-bay. £12.99. Took the old one out, put the new one in and blooming' 'heck, it worked! Hot water way hotter than it used to be. So as well as fixing the problem for 13 quid, I will also save a load of money by being able to turn the water thermostat thingy down  - it was set to 60 degrees, now 48 degrees is the same water temp coming out of the boiler. I feel like a boiler mending God.

You need to be careful with dropping the temperature, they should be set at 60-65 degrees to kill the legionella bacteria.

20 hours ago, Genie said:

You need to be careful with dropping the temperature, they should be set at 60-65 degrees to kill the legionella bacteria.

Ta. It's a combi though.

• Like 1

I didn’t think McVities could top the gingerbread chocolate digestives but whilst out shopping today.... Behold a new winner in the biscuit stakes 

0551E78A-6F42-40C5-8B11-6874FB59662B.jpeg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Dave Allen is on TV just now. 

Such a funny man, great storytelling and brilliant observational comedy and satire. 

A 60's/70's and into 80's comedian without "My Mother in Law", "This blonde with big tits" or "this black feller" gags anywhere in sight. 

I’ve been watching it too. 

I like him. I am conscious that this is on tonight complied as the best stuff (“the immaculate selection”) and I haven’t found all of it brilliant. Was it a pre requisite to have sketches accompany the stand up stuff for most comedians?

But I like the persona he gives off, suit, chair, drink, cigarette, putting the world to rights kinda vibe. An effortless cool about him. I’m sure he had a massive influence on later comedians. I suspect if I was around when he was at his peak I’d appreciate him a lot more.

9 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’ve been watching it too. 

I like him. I am conscious that this is on tonight complied as the best stuff (“the immaculate selection”) and I haven’t found all of it brilliant. Was it a pre requisite to have sketches accompany the stand up stuff for most comedians?

But I like the persona he gives off, suit, chair, drink, cigarette, putting the world to rights kinda vibe. An effortless cool about him. I’m sure he had a massive influence on later comedians. I suspect if I was around when he was at his peak I’d appreciate him a lot more.

Yes, some hit and miss. Generally the stand up (or sit down) is better. 

The sketches were obligatory at that time I think.  All the top comedians of the time did them. I guess TV executives couldn't imagine a prime time comedy show just focusing on one guy and a microphone. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes, some hit and miss. Generally the stand up (or sit down) is better. 

The sketches were obligatory at that time I think.  All the top comedians of the time did them. I guess TV executives couldn't imagine a prime time comedy show just focusing on one guy and a microphone. 

This second show that’s on, I’m actually enjoying this more. Appears to be just stand up (while a chair is nearby). 

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This second show that’s on, I’m actually enjoying this more a bit more. Appears to be just stand up (while a chair is nearby). 

Going back to influence on modern Comedians, I would imagine most would pay tribute. 

When you think his contemporaries were people like Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson and others of that ilk, Dave Allen and Billy Connolly must have been like comedy from a different universe. Both years ahead of their time. 

Now it's pretty much the norm to see observational comedy on TV. 

According to Wiki Adam Sandler cited Dave Allen as a comedy influence. 

• Like 1

Â