Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clark is a player who was highly rated as a youngster, but made the odd howler. He is one of those players that for about the last 2-3 pre-seasons we have said "this is a big year for Ciaran, IF he cuts out the errors he can become a geat player for us, time for him to step up". Still after those years we still finding ourselves saying the same things each pre-season. He has not learned from his errors or improved much at all, and the only time he looked vaguely solid was when we were playing anti football a few years back with a solid midfield shield in front of him, but made us toothless going forward. Even then that was only a few games before the clangers resurfaced again.

It is probably best for both parties for him to move on. I just hope we can use the money to improve that area of the pitch. A new RB to replace Hutton as well wouldn't go amiss.

Edited by NeilS
  • Like 1

Well i would be surprised if he went up there with his young daughter being down here in the Mids. Can only say he will be going because the geordies have offered him big money. The last i heard was that him and the ex hadnt sorted things out so i cant see them going up there with him. 

Hes got a big decision to make. Imo its a good deal for us, cant see him really improving that much over the next few years. More money in and another player out the door.

10 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

Well i would be surprised if he went up there with his young daughter being down here in the Mids. Can only say he will be going because the geordies have offered him big money. The last i heard was that him and the ex hadnt sorted things out so i cant see them going up there with him. 

Hes got a big decision to make. Imo its a good deal for us, cant see him really improving that much over the next few years. More money in and another player out the door.

Well, say he was on 40k and it was cut to 20k when relegated and Newcastle now offer him 40k again or even 50k, why wouldn't he go?  As i said in the Gay thread, only one person to really blame her and thats FOX!

• Like 1

It does feel an odd one, he clearly resents the fact that he played so little last season and must have thought his World Cup blunders er i mean heroics would get him a premiership move, it didn't pan out and he looks like an idiot and therefore jumped ship for the money.

3 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Well, say he was on 40k and it was cut to 20k when relegated and Newcastle now offer him 40k again or even 50k, why wouldn't he go?  As i said in the Gay thread, only one person to really blame her and thats FOX!

Why is fox to blame? For safeguarding our financial future by putting relegation wage clauses in all new contracts ? The guy was awful for us in so many respects without making shit up to fit your own narrative. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

No exactly my thoughts mate, it would make things difficult to see his daughter often though. But yeah agreed if they are giving him a wage rise then there is no other reason for him to go, bar him seeing his daughtet regularly.

I didn't mind Clark but agree he often makes a costly mistake.

without him, we're left with Elphick, Okore, baker, toner, Richards and lescott (plus suliman in youth set-up).

i think we can get away without Clark (and Richards and lescott for that matter) so it's no big loss.

I don't see this as positive news. Only a couple of days ago the manager said he was staying and now when given the first opportunity to go, Clark is jumping ship.  This to me is a sign that not much has changed within the club and he doesn't want to hang around for more of the same as the past few years.  All the signs are that we are under prepared and I'm losing hope with this new regime. 

• Like 2

I've always rated Clark as a player and was genuinely excited when Lambert put him in at CB next to Okore. I wasn't surprised that they clicked and were successful. During that period I fully expected him to push on, become our captain and honestly felt we would be lucky to hold onto him. Lambert then split them up to reintroduce Baker. Sherwood came in, bought Richards and Lescott and he has been more of a stand in than anything else ever since. If I was basing my assessment of Clark purely on his form when he played last season then I would agree with the general opinion on here but what I saw was a player who looked displaced, shaky and lacking confidence. The complete opposite of the player who ended 13/14 looking confident, fearless and assured. You can't lose the qualities and ability he showed during that period but you can lose confidence and form. I have no doubt that if given an extended run of matches under a manager who will back him in like Lambert did that he would get back to that level and go on to be the player I always expected him to become.

• Like 1

I like Clark, and think he is a decent defender, possibly our best. I have been a big supporter of him on here, but it is very poor form if he told the manager he was staying, and then decided to go. Am I the only one annoyed by this?

• Like 1

Just now, AntrimBlack said:

I like Clark, and think he is a decent defender, possibly our best. I have been a big supporter of him on here, but it is very poor form if he told the manager he was staying, and then decided to go. Am I the only one annoyed by this?

Probably, yes.

He's not our best defender and too often he's caught out of position. He's free to leave in my book regardless of what he said to the manager. We need better. 

Clark has made some gaffs but fundamentally he is a good player and will improve whether that is here or somewhere else. For me, he is one to keep and I'd start him with Elphick from game one and give the pair a decent run.

better players have left this club and we've been ok. If he's off I'll thank him for his service. No one can say he hasn't tried and that's all we can ask of players really. The fact that no one really cares says it all though doesn't it. Pragmatism might bring you to a point where there's a case for keeping him, and thats fair enough, but lets face it no one is that bothered right?

Not bothered to be honest.

An ex-youth player, which is always a good thing in my opinion. However, he's 27 next month, and although his best days should be now, he's never showed enough to make me think he will reach his potential. 140-ish appearances in 7 years says it all.

Having said that, better coaching might just bring out the best in him, but I believe £5m and a big salary off the books is a good thing for this club. We can use some of the youth players as our back-up defenders.

IF Richard and Lescott go, I do think we will need one more experience CB for the season ahead.

As an opponent I'd always hope Clark be in the team as he has a has at least an own goal, penalty, red card or major slip up in him each match. As I said in this thread before the Sweden - Ireland game in the Euro's...

Not terrible, but I would not wan't to have to rely on him.

No problem with this move what so ever unless it means Lescott and Richards will play a bigger part next season, and I don't think it will.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

As an opponent I'd always hope Clark be in the team as he has a has at least an own goal, penalty, red card or major slip up in him each match.

I can't remember many own goals, penalties, red cards or slips ups during the period he was playing with confidence.

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Seems for some reason we have to wait in line while other clubs have first pick.

I'm happy with this if the clubs that are having first pick are premier league clubs though. The like of Kodjia clearly aren't our first pick options.

Â