Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, useless said:

Bit surprised at the positive reaction to this, he might not be very good, but there's an argument to suggest that he's our best defender. It's only a good thing in my opinion if we actually sign someone who is better than him.

Could look at Elphick being his replacement and Okore/Baker being rotated depending on form and fitness.

Going to be a struggle to shift Richards and Lescott aswell so one of those will probably stay and be an option as much as we don't really want that. Failing that can always loan in a CB.

On the very same day RDM says nobody else has a clause and we won't lose anyone we want to keep. Added to the fact he also said Ciaran is a Villa lad and has committed to staying with us. 

Can't see it, but will stand corrected. I'd rather Richards and Lescott head for the exit first, but I imagine he's 4th choice behind Elphick, Baker and Okore. 

You only have to look at that despairing lunge that he made in Ireland's second game to see how terribly slow he is. He runs like a tortoise towing an elephant. Even in the average quality Championship he's going to be found wanting. At least Baker's had some time down at this level to know what to expect. 

Having said that about Baker, I would still like to see a replacement for Clark. 

While we need a full squad overall, I wouldn't have Clark in the 'phase 1' batch of players to sell.

We're going to have to bed in about 7-8 new players all going well this season - they need time to gel. I think we need players like Clark, while being far from a world beater, to stay for another year regardless of the fee. He will do a job in the championship as a squad player and won't kick up a fuss, unlike quite a few others. 

• Like 2

5mill is nothing considering what we have left and who we are selling to.

Its no secret that i rate him as one of our better players, guess if his clause is met and he wants to go then what can we do.  RDM should learn not to put himself in a position that makes him look stupid. 

• Like 2

Only Elphick is possibly better than Clark, and watching him pre-season, I am not even sure of that.

Clark is certainly better than Baker and Okore; better than Richards and Lescott; certainly better at this stage than Toner.

Definitely an error if he is allowed to go.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Only Elphick is possibly better than Clark, and watching him pre-season, I am not even sure of that.

Clark is certainly better than Baker and Okore; better than Richards and Lescott; certainly better at this stage than Toner.

Definitely an error if he is allowed to go.

100% agree with this. Not sure who else we could bring in that could be on a similar level(of experience) to him as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Bit surprised at the positive reaction to this, he might not be very good, but there's an argument to suggest that he's our best defender. It's only a good thing in my opinion if we actually sign someone who is better than him.

It wouldn't be a very convincing argument, he is a liability always has been always will be.

Clark's not really that good at any aspect of defending.

He's not very quick, I don't think he reads the game well which is evident in the amount of time he lungs in and gets yellow cards, as we've seen against poor forwards like Anchiebe he can get outmuscled easily and he's average in the air. His passing has regressed a lot through the seasons aswell.

For me it's a good price and it's always important to balance the books if you're doing well or not as that keeps things ticking over.

Â