Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Clark's not really that good at any aspect of defending.

He's not very quick, I don't think he reads the game well which is evident in the amount of time he lungs in and gets yellow cards, as we've seen against poor forwards like Anchiebe he can get outmuscled easily and he's average in the air. His passing has regressed a lot through the seasons aswell.

For me it's a good price and it's always important to balance the books if you're doing well or not as that keeps things ticking over.

And yet he's a mile off being our worst defender. Terrifying. 

• Like 2

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, decamoto said:

And yet he's a mile off being our worst defender. Terrifying. 

I really think we need to put some faith in the new coaching set up and hope that Bond and especially Steve Clarke can orgainse this lot into a decent defensive unit. it's one of the things Clarke is good at surely?

Failing that sign some bleeding strikers and at least outscore teams.

When he first came into the team I thought we were going to have some player, calm on the ball, read the game well and good in the opposition area. I remember one of his first starts against West Ham under K Mac (Milners last game) and he looked like a ready made captain. Unfortunately, he never pushed on like a lot of our youth. 

He could play well for 89 minutes, but always had that one **** up in him which was always crucial and costly. 

Like Albrighton he probably will improve away from us in a different environment, but I'm not that concerned by him going.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I really think we need to put some faith in the new coaching set up and hope that Bond and especially Steve Clarke can orgainse this lot into a decent defensive unit. it's one of the things Clarke is good at surely?

Failing that sign some bleeding strikers and at least outscore teams.

I agree and I actually do have faith in their coaching abilities. I think there is a decent defender in their somewhere - more so a decent DM which is another reason why I think that we keep him for another season over others - hopefully all that's needed is a decent coach I.e. Clarke. In the same breath I agree with your description of him as he is currently.

If we're going gung ho I think a replacement for Hutton should be much, much higher a priority than selling Clark, never mind a striker! :)

11 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

£5million for a player who is possibly 4th choice is excellent business.

Not for one with 4 years left on his contract (supposedly), despite how you feel about him. 

5 minutes ago, decamoto said:

Not for one with 4 years left on his contract (supposedly), despite how you feel about him. 

Since when did having a shit player on a four year contract mean you are entitled to an over the odds fee?

Shit, get Joleon a new deal.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Since when did having a shit player on a four year contract mean you are entitled to an over the odds fee?

Shit, get Joleon a new deal.

Newcastle and West Brom don't consider him shit, but hey, what would they know.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, decamoto said:

Not sure what the relevance of his contract is? £5million for Clark is brilliant, whether he has 1 year or 10 years left on his deal.

These are the players who accept losing-It's all they've ever known at Villa. We need to eradicate ourselves of losers. Clark is not very good in any case.

• Like 2

Just now, AntrimBlack said:

Newcastle and West Brom don't consider him shit, but hey, what would they know.

Hardly two power houses of the footballing world. One spent £80 million to be relegated. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

No matter. I was only indicating that they might know better than you. Perhaps not.

Maybe, maybe not. Teams sign shit players all the time, often good teams. 

Personally I've completely lost faith in Clark. There might be a good player in there somewhere, I can accept that and can understand a team like Newcastle or West Brom taking a punt. As an Aston Villa fan I'm kinda done waiting. 

I'd take the money and likely never look back. 

• Like 4

Â