The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

10 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

I think there's too many rose tinted glasses on when it comes to Grealish, he is an ok footballer, but I highly doubt he will ever improve above his current ability, he has flashes of brilliance and months of nothing.

Green I can see more potential in. 

Green probably has more physical strengths than Grealish, he is stronger and quicker. But for me Jack is technically miles ahead of Green.

What do we make of today's performance then? As we see so often, a few bits of magic (such as his work leading up to the corner that Samba scored from) coupled with some terrible decision making and occasional bouts of laziness.

For me, he is worth persevering with because of his game-changing moments, but I don't think the lesser side of his game has improved sadly.

4 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

At times he looks the only player in the team who is truly comfortable with the ball at his feet........

Yes - he is one of the very few who can retain possession and slow the game down. Is that enough to justify a starting place?

One difference I noticed Today was he didn't whinge to the ref when he was fouled, just got up and got on with. He needs to cut out the bs and concentrate on his game more so hopefully Todays performance was a sign that he's matured. 

It's hard to know with grealish, really is. As hard as it is to accept it don't think there is actually a whole lot of improvement in him. He won't get faster. The slow dribbling at the opposing player is no more about him having something on than he really doesn't know what to do with it himself. Green could well surpass him and be the player we thought grealish would be.

• Like 1

Just now, Bunnski said:

One difference I noticed Today was he didn't whinge to the ref when he was fouled, just got up and got on with. He needs to cut out the bs and concentrate on his game more so hopefully Todays performance was a sign that he's matured. 

Agreed. I was whinging about those fouls more than him and i was on my sofa eating crisps

(Ready salted mccoys fyi)

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

It's hard to know with grealish, really is. As hard as it is to accept it don't think there is actually a whole lot of improvement in him. He won't get faster. The slow dribbling at the opposing player is no more about him having something on than he really doesn't know what to do with it himself. Green could well surpass him and be the player we thought grealish would be.

Different type of player entirely though imo. If they both were to reach their potential in this team they could compliment each other and it could be something very special

• Like 2

On 7/22/2017 at 19:28, Jareth said:

Small Heath would sell their mothers to have a player like Grealish at 21 years old. We just do him down. Madness. 

Couldn't give a shit what Blues would want in their squad - Grealish is our player and, as yet, has failed to deliver on considerable hype.  It's wrong to write him off completely, but he's not a first-team player just yet for me.  Madness, eh?

• Like 1

On Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 19:28, Jareth said:

Small Heath would sell their mothers to have a player like Grealish at 21 years old. We just do him down. Madness. 

No we do not, nonsense.  He gets a fair crack like everyone else, villa have actually gone above and beyond with him. Attitude,  workrate and his game- all on him. Can't hold his hand and moly coddle him the whole time.

I really do like him as a player.. believe he has all the attributes.. I want him to succeed... but i just cant see it. He just drifts in and out of games. Needs to be fitter and demand the ball.. he needs to run the side. Spread the ball around.. get in the box.. work hard off it. I just dont see it his game sadly. These things can be coached but he just doesnt do what needs to be done to be an effective player. 

• Like 4

The performance he had at the Etihad (3-2 defeat when we got screwed with that offside Tekkers decision) was the single best performance from a kid in a Villa shirt. Absolutely amazing making seasoned pros look stupid. Really thought he would take off after that but his inconsistency has been so disappointing. Expected to a degree but he definitely has it in him to turn it all back around and become a great for us, well I hope so anyway.

Sod it. Im calling it. Grealish is going to have an excellent season this year. Another year older and wiser, hasnt been up to any nonsense this summer, looked focused in pre-season (admittedly one 45 minute game). Also, I think I remember an interview where he spoke of how sucky it was to be in the championship and seeing employees getting laid off at VP etc. so he will be determined to help the team out of it this year.

Also I think the team as a whole will be better balanced with the new additions and we may just be able to afford to give Jack a bit of a license to roam a bit more

So there you go. Neck stuck out, colours nailed to mast, head above parapet. This will be an awesome year for Jack

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Sod it. Im calling it. Grealish is going to have an excellent season this year. Another year older and wiser, hasnt been up to any nonsense this summer, looked focused in pre-season (admittedly one 45 minute game). Also, I think I remember an interview where he spoke of how sucky it was to be in the championship and seeing employees getting laid off at VP etc. so he will be determined to help the team out of it this year.

Also I think the team as a whole will be better balanced with the new additions and we may just be able to afford to give Jack a bit of a license to roam a bit more

So there you go. Neck stuck out, colours nailed to mast, head above parapet. This will be an awesome year for Jack

Genuinely if you told me that you'd just copied and pasted this post from this time last year I would believe you.

• Like 1

There was a moment in the 'final' in Germany that perfectly summed up my frustrations with jack.

We were getting a lesson in pass and move football for a good 5 minutes of the game. The ball was being knocked into space to be met by a player...it was effortless, and we couldn't get near it.

When the ball was finally won back the very first pass was played to jack who was on the right wing with 3 players around him. I can't remember who actually passed the ball but he continued his run inside and a simple ball should have put him clean through taking 3 defenders out of the game.

Jack (being jack) instead tried to dribble the ball inside, he didn't lose it to be fair to him as he is good at keeping the ball, but that simple option he missed would have resulted in a good chance, instead of being knocked back to the halfway line.

Untill he can see the simple ball he won't be ready for me, no matter how many times he effortlessly skips past players. He needs to learn how to keep an attack going at pace.

I hope he can pick it up from the new faces.  He has the weapons to be an excellent attacker but for me at the moment there are better options for the 1st team.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

His greatest asset is being fouled. Hopefully he can improve on that this upcoming season.

Agreed he's one of best players I've seen at getting fouled. If I had to choose an assett for a modern day footballer it wouldn't be in the top five but he's bloody good at it nonetheless. 

Â