The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Just now, Jareth said:

Well if there's one simple thing this should teach us - never, never allow a release clause in a player's contract ever again - even if it means they don't extend.

Reading what Purslow said, I think he implies if there was no release clause there would have been no new contract.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Well if there's one simple thing this should teach us - never, never allow a release clause in a player's contract ever again - even if it means they don't extend.

I dunno, I think that release clause got us the most we could have hoped for in the smoothest way possible. Think the board have done everything perfectly. 

22 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's been more like 3 really. Half of that was spent in the Championship which luckily for us at the time might not as well exist to the top clubs.

I would say for 4 seasons he's been playing at a higher level than the club, but even if it's just 3 that's far longer than we would have got from him if he weren't a fan. We'd all like it to have been longer of course, but if we take a bigger picture look at the situation we had quite a long time of 'local boy wonder playing for the club'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Reading what Purslow said, I think he implies if there was no release clause there would have been no new contract.

Doesn’t he pretty much say this rather than just imply?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Yes fully appreciate that - given how much we needed him at the time - but lordy please in the future when there's no threat of relegation can we not do this again - no more pretending that a player wants to be at Villa. 

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I dunno, I think that release clause got us the most we could have hoped for in the smoothest way possible. Think the board have done everything perfectly. 

Agree - not criticising the board, needs must at that time - but obviously 10 months after Jack signing a 5 year contract we found ourselves powerless in the face of financial dopers. Fortunately I think we will be there or thereabouts next time we find ourselves in this sort of situation (Louie Barry!) and I hope we never have to release a player due to a release clause ever again. 

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I would say for 4 seasons he's been playing at a higher level than the club, but even if it's just 3 that's far longer than we would have got from him if he weren't a fan. We'd all like it to have been longer of course, but if we take a bigger picture look at the situation we had quite a long time of 'local boy wonder playing for the club'.

Every team has local youth products playing for them, but few have upward mobility with one of them leading the charge. We got to enjoy that for 3 and a half seasons. I don't know, given that we're practically barred from challenging for anything serious, seems like we're feeding on scraps there.

30 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

£369,231 a week is a lot of money isn't it?

He'll earn the amount of money that NSWE bought Villa for in four years.

And there was the suggestion Villa were prepared to match and even offer more?

If that’s true (it’s not), I’m delighted he left.

2 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

For the few people that a fawning over his statement. Compare it to John Terry’s parting statement to us.

Yep, just PR garbage from his management team. Wouldn't expect anything else from him, mind. I really do hope he flops there.

Be interesting to see how Spurs manage the Kane situation. I imagine Levy will take a much more hard-line approach. 

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

There were a lot of ups and downs, but if we choose to focus on the positives, in that time he captained the side for ten wins a row, helped us win a playoff final - the only thing we've won this millenium, apart from the Intertoto Cup - and scored the goal that saved our place in the Premier League. Just in that period, of little more than a year, we had more entertainment than we had had in most of the previous decade.

I know nobody is really in the mood for hearing it, and that the stories about 'plans' and 'projects' and 'trajectories' are too seductive for people to ignore, but if we step back and stop viewing this as being part of a journey to a destination (dominance of the game, naturally) and instead view this as a pastime that we do because it's entertaining, we got a lot of entertainment value out of Grealish. I think it's a healthier way to enjoy the game, and a perspective that allows some enjoyment even if we in all likelihood fail to ever get close to a European spot.

Very much agree with this, we are hopefully 3/4 seasons away from being the team that he need us to be. He’s just too good to not be winning things.

I’ll happily have him back if we get there, I have full faith he will. He’s so good it saddens me that it’s going to take maybe  3 apps for the media to call it.

Im sad, I hope he wins everything.

edit; you bore me if you wish him I’ll fortune 

Edited by Nicho

Â