The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

20 hours ago, delboy54 said:

Oh and can someone with more tactical knowledge than me explain why Jack cannot play in the middle why out on the wing, it restricts him to half the pitch! 

Regards

Del

I think he was wasting too much energy running around in our own half earlier in the season.  I just don't think he is quite good enough to be a box-to-box midfielder right now, or at least he doesn't provide as much output for the team as he does playing on the left. 

Even so I think teams have started to work us out and we need to change something. I'd go Heaton obviously, Konsa, Engels, Mings/Hause as a back 3, Targett and Guilbert playing as attacking full backs, Luiz and Nakamba holding with Jack ahead in a free role with Kodj and Wes up front. Thing is changing formation isnt necessarily something you can just do overnight so is risky in itself. 

12 hours ago, zab6359 said:

You don't seem to understand the 4-3-3 system, a box to box player is an attack minded player!

A box to box is the engine. They defend and attack. Their game has to be balanced so you don't capitulate when the opponent wins the ball. 

• Like 3

I think he's getting fed up and will want out irrespective of what we do now. He's good enough for a top team and will want to test himself at that level.  

His collapse on the ground at the end of the last couple of games shows how he is going the extra mile trying to carry us through but when it's not paying off it can seem soul destroying. 

• Like 1

I think Jack's been below his normal self recently with a lot of misplaced passes and as sidcow said, he's starting to get fed-up.

He does however need to remember that however good he is he's not going to always beat a team on his own - sometime the simple pass is the best.

My theory on why the rest of the team seem so afraid of the ball and nervous is because Jack is so much better than everyone else in the team that they don't have belief in themselves to contribute in comparison so just seek to let Jack do everything, when he does pass the ball we often end up losing possession due to the rest of the players being so shackled by fear they make basic errors which leave us constantly exposed to opposition attacks. I honestly don't believe the players are half as bad as it seems though , confidence issues are killing us in my opinion. 

• Like 1

On 21/12/2019 at 20:02, OxfordVillan said:

As captain he needs to gather the players together in training and start throwing a few **** into them.

I see what you mean. The players must be feeling quite tense, and a gay orgy might help them relax a bit.

• Haha 3

On 23/12/2019 at 13:37, delboy54 said:

Oh and can someone with more tactical knowledge than me explain why Jack cannot play in the middle why out on the wing, it restricts him to half the pitch! 

Regards

Del

Grealish can play in the middle, but the problem is we are a bit unsettled at DM (Hourihane, Luiz, Nakamba and Lansbury have all played there) and we are trying to play McGinn quite high. So we end up with the DM having loads of work to do, and we just don't have the quality to handle that in most games.

What typically then happens with Jack at CM is he sees we're getting overrun at DM, and comes deeper and deeper to help out. Whereas if we play him wide, he can stay higher, where he is more dangerous.

But as you say, when he's wide, it's easier for opposition defences to double up on him and run him into the corner.

I really think the only solution is to have more quality elsewhere on the pitch, so that opposition managers can't build their whole gameplan around stopping Jack. Add better players elsewhere on the pitch, and Jack will be given more space to do his thing.

• Like 1

Superb again. Lovely lovely assist, nearly scored himself. Ran the show. Then near the end the calmness of the bloke to bring the ball down in the box hold off two players and put someone into space. Could see him play for ANY team in the league. I hope we stay up to keep him. Southgate cannot say he has no end product now. 

• Like 1

Â