The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

He's just so many levels above our other players, it must just be professionally embarrassing for them to play alongside him. Grealish playing in this Villa team would be like asking Wynton Marsalis to play in Birmingham Schools Brass Band. Only Hourihane looked vaguely like he was able to stay on Grealish's wavelength, and that not for very long.

I for one really appreciate the analogy :)

• Like 3

That video goes to show how few footballers make it. If we bear in mind that Chelsea had arguably the best youth set up in the country at the time, let's look at that team:

chelseayouth.jpg

Obviously Loftus-Cheek still has the potential of a PL and England career, and both Blackman and Baker have lots of games at Championship level.

However, apart from those three, there's a steep drop off in success for the others. Alex Kiwomya appears to be on the books at Doncaster, though they're trying to sell him. The amusingly-named Nortei Nortey is playing for Chorley in the Vanarama National. The rest play for sides at lower levels, or intriguing foreign sides. Alex Davey plays for USL side (that's below the MLS) Hartford Athletic (coached by Radhi Jaidi!). Archange Nkumu may or may not play for a second division Icelandic side. Boumesca 'Mesca' Na Bangna plays for a team in Cyprus. Some of them appear to be without teams; I couldn't find any current club for Anjur Osmanovic, Adam Nditi or Ali Gordon.

Maybe a silly diversion, but it does show how hard it is for even players at the very best academies to get a career out of the game. It would be interesting to see where all their Villa opponents are now.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Our line up from this match: 

Calum Barrett- Very good goalkeeper he was, I’ve had a quick google search, I don’t know where he is now

Ebby Nelson-Addy- Very good central midfielder, he filled in at right back in this match, he was versatile, he’s at Bedford Town now

Jack Grealish- current captain of the Aston Villa first team, we all know him now

Jordan Graham- he’s at Wolves now, very good winger he was

Graham Burke- he’s at Shamrock Rovers on loan from Preston North End, he was a forward

Daniel Johnson- he’s having a very good career at Preston North End now, central midfielder 

Connor Taylor- he’s at Leamington now, he was a forward

Those are all of the Villa players that I can recognise from the video

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

He's just so many levels above our other players, it must just be professionally embarrassing for them to play alongside him. Grealish playing in this Villa team would be like asking Wynton Marsalis to play in Birmingham Schools Brass Band. Only Hourihane looked vaguely like he was able to stay on Grealish's wavelength, and that not for very long.

Exactly it, I'm starting to even resent (slightly) a number of our players for just looking so shit and clueless relative to him.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

One for the "unpopular opinion" thread perhaps but I think I still prefer Grealish out on the left for now. If nothing else because our wide options are pathetic. 

Hourihane & Grealish is pretty much the only ones of our players who seem to have an understanding of each other and can pass and move to create something. While a CM of these 2 together might be too weak I still like them on the pitch together (perhaps not against the top sides) so Grealish on the flank.

Now teams have read us because we are very predictable with the get the ball to Grealish "tactic" and maybe he is easier to double team in the flank than in the middle but on the other hand I think our CM options are better than our wide options so for the greater good I'd stick him on the flank. It's not like he's not involved out there. 

Or in tune with the festive season maybe we could try the Ancelotti 4-3-2-1 Christmas tree formation.

52 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Exactly it, I'm starting to even resent (slightly) a number of our players for just looking so shit and clueless relative to him.

There's few of them I actually resent, but it's clear as day that what we've got is a Championship squad.

We have, I think we all probably agree, the best talent we've had at the club for the best part of 30 years, with an impressive goals and assists tally, and we're deservedly in the bottom 3. If it wasn't for a lad that'd come through our youth system, we'd comfortably be bottom of the league. 

50 minutes ago, PauloBarnesi said:

His career seems to have stalled; he’s not played for Wolves since 2018 and last season he was on loan at Ipswich and then Oxford.

He was on absolute flames when he first went to Wolves. Unreal for a month or two.

Did his acl IIRC and never got anywhere back to the tricky flying winger he was.

• Like 1

Arguably one of the top 5 -10 players in the PL this season. We need to seriously step up to hold onto him beyond this season. Sad really that a player of his ability has come through the ranks as a homeboy at a time when we are as a club have underachieved. 

9 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Our line up from this match: 

Calum Barrett- Very good goalkeeper he was, I’ve had a quick google search, I don’t know where he is now

Ebby Nelson-Addy- Very good central midfielder, he filled in at right back in this match, he was versatile, he’s at Bedford Town now

Jack Grealish- current captain of the Aston Villa first team, we all know him now

Jordan Graham- he’s at Wolves now, very good winger he was

Graham Burke- he’s at Shamrock Rovers on loan from Preston North End, he was a forward

Daniel Johnson- he’s having a very good career at Preston North End now, central midfielder 

Connor Taylor- he’s at Leamington now, he was a forward

Those are all of the Villa players that I can recognise from the video

Delfonseo was playing striker. He took the 2 penalties. Remember Jack was playing 2 years above his own age group.

8 hours ago, sne said:

One for the "unpopular opinion" thread perhaps but I think I still prefer Grealish out on the left for now. If nothing else because our wide options are pathetic. 

Hourihane & Grealish is pretty much the only ones of our players who seem to have an understanding of each other and can pass and move to create something. While a CM of these 2 together might be too weak I still like them on the pitch together (perhaps not against the top sides) so Grealish on the flank.

Now teams have read us because we are very predictable with the get the ball to Grealish "tactic" and maybe he is easier to double team in the flank than in the middle but on the other hand I think our CM options are better than our wide options so for the greater good I'd stick him on the flank. It's not like he's not involved out there. 

Or in tune with the festive season maybe we could try the Ancelotti 4-3-2-1 Christmas tree formation.

A 19 year old Grealish was incredible in the Christmas Tree formation under Sherwood, even with his partner up there being Charles N'Zogbia. Been harping for almost a year for this to be tried. Jack is perfectly suited for it.

• Like 2

Obviously we haven’t got a lot of options and this may sound crazy, but I would stick Jack back on the left, play Al Ghazi as a forward 10 in support of Wes. Jack is better at beating players wide and chasing back. Al. Ghazi can score with both feet and likes to get into the box.

Â