General Chat

Stevo985

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

i've started blocking a lot on social media...even though i've never interacted with them before. if i see any profiles with a load of st george crosses after their name, spouting anti-immigration, pro-tory/brexit/gb news/farage crap then i just block. even though i'm never going to interact with these individuals i find the process really therapeutic and saved me from deleting twitter.

I don't need to block those people, because none of them are my friends (FB or RL), and I have no need to interact with them unless I choose to. Yes, I'm mostly in a lefty echo chamber, and I like it that way. 

I'm social media invisible and always have been. It's there if I need it, now and again I'll have a browse, but who needs it to communicate with friends and family. If it's important, I have a phone number, an WhatsApp. I am neither interested or need to know what restaurant they have been to, or where they are going on holiday.

• Like 1

That reminds me, we don't really seem to do WhatsApp statuses and updates, my wife does, I never even knew they existed until I met her

The other weird thing she does on WhatsApp is she doesn't message her friends for weeks but then sends like a 10 minute voicemail to them which also seems really common 

Facebook doesn't seem popular here and hardly anyone uses their real name on it so it's difficult to even find people 

I've never had an Instagram account.

I have a Twitter account but don't follow anyone and never look at it.

I get on Facebook with ever-decreasing regularity and then only to look at notifications to catch up on friends (of which I have very few by FB standards) and family and occasionally to post a pic.

VT is the only social media I need.  You lot are much more intelligent and reasonable than the population at large.   Well, at least in Off Topic 🙂.  This is the only fan forum I've ever been on.  Is VT typical of fan forums or did I get lucky and find an oasis in an otherwise barren wasteland?   I suspect I know the answer to that based on posts by people on here who have visited other clubs' forums.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Is VT typical of fan forums or did I get lucky and find an oasis in an otherwise barren wasteland?   I suspect I know the answer to that based on posts by people on here who have visited other clubs' forums.

i've spent very little time on other fan forums and from what little i've seen there's definitely a more sensible level of conversation than you get on facebook/twitter. aside from when i popped onto the millwall forum to see what they were saying that first time fans were allowed back and they booed the knee. that was an unpleasant experience. ghastly bunch over there

the main reason i imagine is that forums are moderated, unlike twitter or facebook

I spent some time on a dedicated Welsh Football forum.

It didn’t go well, I basically had to change my name because people from a couple of North Wales clubs were looking for me. They really didn’t understand trolling and would get in to an absolute rage over what I considered to be very light hearted bantzzz.

I still enjoy the occasional fight for a cause I don’t really believe in, just to keep practised.

I have a facebook account in a false name that I use just to have access to messenger and a couple of bits of music info.

I have twitter, but I think I follow about 200 people in total which keeps it manageable. I follow a couple of accounts I don’t agree with, just to prevent being in too much of an echo chamber. But individuals I don’t like, I don’t follow.

On here, if there’s a poster I don’t particularly like, I’ll eventually block them rather than get pointlessly annoyed at randoms.

• Like 1

I haven’t blocked anyone on here. Very occasionally I’ll feel like doing so, but it’s fleeting temptation. 

Mainly, and particularly in On Topic, if I’m viewing the thread list and I see by someone’s avatar that they’re latest to to post in there, I’ll give that thread a wide berth before heading in to read or post.

Admittedly that method doesn’t work if the sneaky sods change their avatar picture on the sly though. I get suckered in thinking “Hmmm, who’s this new poster? I wonder if they have an interesting new take on whether Bertrand Tra…Oh for ****’s sake it that word removed!! Yeah there he is, talking shit again…”

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Admittedly that method doesn’t work if the sneaky sods change their avatar picture on the sly though. I get suckered in thinking “Hmmm, who’s this new poster? I wonder if they have an interesting new take on whether Bertrand Tra…Oh for ****’s sake it that word removed!! Yeah there he is, talking shit again…”

Yeah, sorry about that. 

• Haha 3

Got this week off work.... great... not sure whether to go away or not. This whole variant has made me reconsider. Will make a decision tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

Got this week off work.... great... not sure whether to go away or not. This whole variant has made me reconsider. Will make a decision tomorrow.

I was supposed to be going to Jamaica on Wednesday, now I’m gonna be really bored, and probably depressed instead.

• Sad 3

46 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I haven’t blocked anyone on here. Very occasionally I’ll feel like doing so, but it’s fleeting temptation. 

Mainly, and particularly in On Topic, if I’m viewing the thread list and I see by someone’s avatar that they’re latest to to post in there, I’ll give that thread a wide berth before heading in to read or post.

Come on, we all know you're talking about @Xela

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Genie said:

I was supposed to be going to Jamaica on Wednesday, now I’m gonna be really bored, and probably depressed instead.

We were meant to go down to Cabo in Mexico for 5 days just as Omicron reared its head. If we'd gone a week earlier we wouldn't have known about it but we ended up cancelling. The worst part is the airline has kept our money for "Future flight credit." Absolute clearings in the woods

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

My cat had been missing for nearly 3 days but this morning I heard his distressed meows coming from someone's garage. As soon as the door was opened, he strutted out of there like he wasn't even bothered.

I got him home and put down some fresh food, a handful of treats and some water. He looked at me like I'd just curled one out in his bowl and he walked off without having any of it.

Just one of the many reasons I prefer cats to dumb dopey lick your face off dogs. It's their **** you attitude. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

On 25/11/2021 at 11:51, Xann said:
On 25/11/2021 at 11:08, bickster said:

FIngernails and yank

You smoke don't you? If you stop? Give it a couple of months and see if you still think it's a good idea? ;)

I've never smoked and that is my method.

• Like 1

Â