General Chat

Stevo985

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Just been down the garden. 

Shoots everywhere. The days are getting longer. 

Hopefully in 2 / 3 weeks Omicron has blown itself out, spring flowers are starting to open and we can all look forward to a much better 2022. 

👍🥂

That's it.  I'm feeling much more optimistic now.  Whilst working from home has been a novelty, I'm bored of the whole thing. I want to be able to take people for coffees, shake their hands when I know they have done well, or just because, you know, because they are lovely people. I miss greeting people properly and having the social interaction.  Next year will be better, I'm certain of it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, trekka said:

That's it.  I'm feeling much more optimistic now.  Whilst working from home has been a novelty, I'm bored of the whole thing. I want to be able to take people for coffees, shake their hands when I know they have done well, or just because, you know, because they are lovely people. I miss greeting people properly and having the social interaction.  Next year will be better, I'm certain of it. 

Hear hear.  I've missed touching up the women in the office too. 

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Hopefully in 2 / 3 weeks Omicron has blown itself out, spring flowers are starting to open and we can all look forward to a much better 2022. 

👍🥂

Knowing the luck we are having, the shoots will turn out to be Triffids! 

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Knowing the luck we are having, the shoots will turn out to be Triffids! 

Don't be such a bloody doom merchant. 

By the way did anyone see that meteor shower just now? Absolutely amazing. 

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

👍🥂

Well I really appreciate the sentiment but 2022 is already going to get off to a bollock for me 👎

Myself and my top graduate ensemble were invited to go to perform at a big conference the weekend of January 14th - 16th. It's been booked for months. The Chancellor of the University has just announced that they will be no in person classes for the 1st 2 weeks of January. Zero. Zilch. All students must return to Colorado but stay off campus and just get tested.

So as well as Zoom lessons (which are shitty anyway) my grad group can't rehearse at all. My Department chair has already emailed me to say that they can't circumvent the process by rehearsing off campus and I should carefully consider if should be flying out of state to perform due to the contagiousness of omicron.

This pandemic s**t is really starting to wear on me. I got my grad group to meet up on a zoom chat in 10 minutes - I can't believe they are having to go through this s**t at their age. 

• Sad 4

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Well I really appreciate the sentiment but 2022 is already going to get off to a bollock for me 👎

Myself and my top graduate ensemble were invited to go to perform at a big conference the weekend of January 14th - 16th. It's been booked for months. The Chancellor of the University has just announced that they will be no in person classes for the 1st 2 weeks of January. Zero. Zilch. All students must return to Colorado but stay off campus and just get tested.

So as well as Zoom lessons (which are shitty anyway) my grad group can't rehearse at all. My Department chair has already emailed me to say that they can't circumvent the process by rehearsing off campus and I should carefully consider if should be flying out of state to perform due to the contagiousness of omicron.

This pandemic s**t is really starting to wear on me. I got my grad group to meet up on a zoom chat in 10 minutes - I can't believe they are having to go through this s**t at their age. 

I hear you, but I'm pretty sure we're going to see a big drop in a couple of weeks. 

Omicron has just got everywhere.  It just cannot sustain it's rate.  Hopefully it does usurp Delta which seems to be happening now. 

If not we've got a well boosted population moving towards summer months. 

All the drug manufacturers are stating that they're now working on their formulas so we should have more up to date vaccines if things start to kick off again instead of one 2 years out of date. 

From what I gather viruses tend to mutate to be less deadly but more transmissible so hopefully Omicron doesn't suddenly reverse the usual trend.

I think most restrictions were seeing are just belt and braces and will be relaxed pretty quickly once they get real world data on how these massive case numbers translate to the healthcare system. 

• Like 3

One for @TheAuthority I think!

I went to watch "The best of John Williams" at Birmingham symphony hall a couple of nights ago. It was the London symphony orchestra who performed.  It was brilliant.

my question is about the conductor.  How much influence does he actually have on the orchestra?

at one point after some music, he even laughed and thanked the horn section for not joining in when he signalled a bar early!

The orchestra rarely looked at him either, more so concentrating on their sheet music.

The orchestra are obviously a very talented group of musicians, so I wondered exactly how much the conductor actually does.

Kudos to him for ripping his shirt open to reveal a superman t-shirt during his theme music too 😁

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

One for @TheAuthority I think!

I went to watch "The best of John Williams" at Birmingham symphony hall a couple of nights ago. It was the London symphony orchestra who performed.  It was brilliant.

my question is about the conductor.  How much influence does he actually have on the orchestra?

at one point after some music, he even laughed and thanked the horn section for not joining in when he signalled a bar early!

The orchestra rarely looked at him either, more so concentrating on their sheet music.

The orchestra are obviously a very talented group of musicians, so I wondered exactly how much the conductor actually does.

Kudos to him for ripping his shirt open to reveal a superman t-shirt during his theme music too 😁

This is a perennial question, and I'm sure @TheAuthority can answer it better than me. But I assume it's to do with the thorny problem of keeping a large group of musicians in time. Somebody has to be in charge, so the others know who to follow - in a jazz or rock band it's normally the drummer. But in an orchestra the percussion is only used as occasional decoration, rather than as a pulse. Hence the conductor, effectively acting as a metronome, and prompting the various sections  as they drop in and out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's an episode of much missed Channel 4 documentary/reality series Faking It where they took a rock musician and spent a month training him to be a conductor, which kinda reveals what the conductor has an impact on.

It's been literally years since I saw it but IIRC it's a combination of keeping the orchestra in time but also influencing that timing and directing the group in the nature of the performance which then gives personality to the performance as a whole. A lot of their work is in the practicing and organisation building up to the performance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

There's an episode of much missed Channel 4 documentary/reality series Faking It where they took a rock musician and spent a month training him to be a conductor, which kinda reveals what the conductor has an impact on.

It's been literally years since I saw it but IIRC it's a combination of keeping the orchestra in time but also influencing that timing and directing the group in the nature of the performance which then gives personality to the performance as a whole. A lot of their work is in the practicing and organisation building up to the performance.

I actually saw this episode about 4/5 months ago. Brilliant show, surprised it’s never made a comeback. 

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Yeah, that's right. I didn't mean to suggest it was just about timing. There's also stuff like controlling the dynamics - volume, style of attack and decay, etc. of the various sections, so as to shape the effect of the piece as a whole. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, villaglint said:

I actually saw this episode about 4/5 months ago. Brilliant show, surprised it’s never made a comeback. 

I think it partly burnt out because, well, part of the appeal is the reveal that one of the contestants in the final test is a fake. After a while you'd have any judge looking at 4 'new faces' in a competition looking for the fake rather than rating them genuinely.

Also I think they ran out of things that worked in the juxtaposition of things - there's only so many burger flipper to haute cuisine paths that make the show work.

Â