General Chat

Stevo985

19 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Dem, you work the NHS, you should know all this! :lol:  

I work for the NHS as part of a PFI, and even I know this. 

You need to ask for training I think. 

I don't work with patients like stated before. I think consultants I work with no more than us and they don't get it so do they need re training too?

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't work with patients like stated before. I think consultants I work with no more than us and they don't get it so do they need re training too?

I work in an office on an hospital site, I am classed as a sub-contractor who provides energy management for the whole hospital, plus 2 others within the trust, nothing to do with actual healthcare.  I have been given a 30 min talk about the benefits of flu vac.  

Frankly, if a consultant doesn't understand what a vac means, what it does and does not protect against, then it's pretty worrying, yes. 

7 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I work in an office on an hospital site, I am classed as a sub-contractor who provides energy management for the whole hospital, plus 2 others within the trust, nothing to do with actual healthcare.  I have been given a 30 min talk about the benefits of flu vac.  

Frankly, if a consultant doesn't understand what a vac means, what it does and does not protect against, then it's pretty worrying, yes. 

I work in endoscopy. I'm completely off  site. My only interaction with patients is via telephone.

As you are probably aware each his trust is different- but we are not instructed about what it is more why you need to take it. Big difference.

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

One person in my team had flu jab few weeks ago... been off for the last week with flu!

It's that seatbelt analogy again, Dem.

"My friend wore a seatbelt but still died in a car accident. So I don't bother wearing them"

• Like 1

Amazon Prime is mad isn't it?

Ordered something from there before I went to sleep last night.

It's just been delivered. Less than 11 hours I think between ordering and delivery.

Remember 10-15 years ago when things you bought online would take like a week to be delivered and it was totally fine :D 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's just been delivered. Less than 11 hours I think between ordering and delivery.

Remember 10-15 years ago when things you bought online would take like a week to be delivered and it was totally fine :D 

It is crazy. Reckon in a few years we'll be saying, "Remember when you bought something online and had to wait 11 hours for it to be delivered?"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

It is crazy. Reckon in a few years we'll be saying, "Remember when you bought something online and had to wait 11 hours for it to be delivered?"

Remember when someone had to bring something to your house? Rather than it just get 3D printed into your hand from your integrated brain printer

• Haha 1

The stock phrase was always "Please allow 28 days for delivery". It's no wonder high street shops are going bust. 

Although in some circumstances, the Argos model is the ultimate for speed and convenience - provided you've got a branch nearby, and you want what they sell. There's one five minutes' drive from my house, so online shop and go collect is even easier and faster than Amazon. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The stock phrase was always "Please allow 28 days for delivery". It's no wonder high street shops are going bust. 

True. That and many other factors have not helped our UK high streets. i.e the poor UK economy over the last 10 years where wages have not risen along with everything else.

A friend I bumped into just before christmas who I used to work with in 2000 - I was 17 (he is still at that same job today) and he is on £1.10 more an hour now than what we were both on nearly 20 years ago which was £6.50ph.

It's all **** if you ask me.

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It is crazy. I love how quick it is but then I do think about the appalling way it (apparently) treats the staff and the fact it has been a huge factor in destroying the High Street. 

It's a difficult one to balance for me. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

A friend I bumped into just before christmas who I used to work with in 2000 - I was 17 (he is still at that same job today) and he is on £1.10 more an hour now than what we were both on nearly 20 years ago which was £6.50ph.

It's all **** if you ask me.

Minimum wage is £7.83 (rising to £8.21 in April) so he needs to look into that! 

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

Minimum wage is £7.83 (rising to £8.21 in April) so he needs to look into that! 

I'd have thought after 20 years nearly, wages would have been more though which was more my point.

I feel for him as he has had to move back to his parents a few years ago as he just cannot afford to run/rent even a one bed flat.

Like I say, it's all a piss take and this country is a joke.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

That's an extreme example, but it's pretty typical to get screwed when you stick to one job for so long. Getting a new job is the best way to get a pay rise. Staying in one place at minimum wage for twenty years is madness.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I'd have thought after 20 years nearly wages would have been more though which was more my point.

I feel for him as he has had to move back to his parents a few years ago as he just cannot afford to run/rent even a one bed flat.

Like I say, it's all a joke imo.

I agree, I was just saying that he appears to earning less than the minimum wage, which is no way on! Even double is a pittance to live on. 

Has he not had any desire to move on?

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

That's an extreme example, but it's pretty typical to get screwed when you stick to one job for so long. Getting a new job is the best way to get a pay rise. Staying in one place at minimum wage for twenty years is madness.

Yea, I'd say he's failed at life tbh :lol:

It amazes me how some people don't have any ambitions, or drive to make themselves more comfortable.

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

I agree, I was just saying that he appears to earning less than the minimum wage, which is no way on! Even double is a pittance to live on. 

Has he not had any desire to move on?

He seems to be one of those that is scared to step outside of their safety net etc.

I mentioned to him about moving on or even setting up his own business or even a website etc.

I thought slavery was abolished years ago. It appears not.

Â