General Chat

Stevo985

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

you are Diane Abbot and I claim my £5 

Nah, and I'm not the UN that think the same.

I'm the guy that ditched Amazon to go Christmas shopping in the West End. More tents than ever and queues of beggars at the cash points.

• Like 2

Me and the wife has booked to go to Vegas in November.  We're expecting our second kid in April.  So when we go (and leave a 4 year old and a 7/8 month old) with parents - is that unacceptable? 

We've already agreed that losing £150 deposit should kids really need us to cancel is fine to lose, and we can do that up to 2 days before leaving, so if any big issues come up, we don't mind losing that.  

It's for 4 nights (so 5 with traveling) and we've got good flight times etc. 

Are we shitty, neglectful parents? Yay, or nay? 

This isn't our main holiday, we're taking them to Disney in July. 

Edited by lapal_fan

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Me and the wife has booked to go to Vegas in November.  We're expecting our second kid in April.  So when we go (and leave a 4 year old and a 7/8 month old) with parents - is that unacceptable? 

We've already agreed that losing £150 deposit should kids really need us to cancel is fine to lose, and we can do that up to 2 days before leaving, so if any big issues come up, we don't mind losing that.  

Serious answer: that's not neglectful assuming your parents are happy to have them. You need to have a life and a break. A few days away is nothing.

Stevo answer: just leave them in a cupboard. They ruin your life enough as it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Five nights? No sweat, as far as I'm concerned. I assume the four year old is used to sleepovers with grandparents, and the grandparents themselves are OK with it? I say go for it. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Serious answer: that's not neglectful assuming your parents are happy to have them. You need to have a life and a break. A few days away is nothing..

That was our rationale.  Initially, the holiday was for a friends 40th, but he pulled out, and me and the wife (who got married there), said "why don't we go and do the stuff we didn't have time to do when we got married?" - We wouldn't have even thought about it were it not for the birthday.

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Five nights? No sweat, as far as I'm concerned. I assume the four year old is used to sleepovers with grandparents, and the grandparents themselves are OK with it? I say go for it. 

Yea, the 4 year old would "sleep over" at his grandparents more that me and the wife would like to admit (we let him stay about once a month) - he genuinely wouldn't be a problem, although he'll have just started school in Sept.  It's the 7 month old who would be our primary concern, and that's mostly because he's not born yet, so we don't know what he'll be like.  But grandparents have said they wouldn't mind having (and swapping half way through) the kids.  We're lucky that we have 2 sets of grandparents, but my mom expressed her surprise at us even considering going, which is why I asked.. My wife wasn't happy about that, and quite rightly I think.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback :thumb: 

Nay. That’s fine in my book.

As you’ve already said - my main concern with a seven month old would be getting him/her used to being put down to sleep by theirvgrandparents - so in my case I’d have to ask them to have a few practice nights. Sounds like you have that covered. 

If it helps, my mum would also be surprised if I said I was going away, maybe it’s a generational thing. Or a grandmother thing.

And one night a month at the grandparents house for the 4 year old is completely fine. I was expecting you to say once a week or something and even then I wouldn’t say that was ridiculously excessive.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

It totally depends on the temperament of the grandparents and the kids. In some ways your kids' ages are in the 'sweet spot' - the four year old is old enough and the seven month old young enough not to be too emotionally dependent on their parents; a two year old would probably be more upset by it. Unless they have particular issues - you know about the 4yo, the baby is obviously still an unknown quantity. 

And obviously the grandparents need to be competent and happy to do it. Our granddaughter will be four in June, and she loves staying with us (we love it too) - and we'll be looking after the next baby (due next month) when our daughter goes back to work. 

Provided there are no unusual problems, it's all good experience for all parties concerned. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

My daughter is planning baby number 2. Its a given that childcare will come to me and my wife. As grandparents we love having grandson for extended periods and this would still be the case if and when he has a sibling in tow. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 13:35, Demitri_C said:
On 11/12/2018 at 13:34, lapal_fan said:

It is your choice :lol:  

It is...but if your nhs managers are like mine its kind of not ! That's how much they pressure you. 

Guessing yoyr trust is not as strict as ours. 

It's very easy to bring that conversation to a head.

"Are you forcing me against my will to get the flu jab?"

Their response...

if yes goto HR
else STFU

I've just had a parcel delivered, in the name of someone I don't know. It looks like they've mistyped the delivery address and the post has made a best guess at delivering it here.

Now, do I try to contact the person it's for? I've looked up the name and there's a couple of people it might be. I've looked up the address as best I can and have a rough idea of where it would be delivered to, although I can't drop it off myself as things stand (and don't really want to anyway). There's also a return address on the label.

If I contact them I'm not sure they'll actually read it, I know if ignore some random trying to speak to me on Facebook and settling to confirm address details. Hmm.

24 minutes ago, BOF said:

It's very easy to bring that conversation to a head.

"Are you forcing me against my will to get the flu jab?"

Their response...

if yes goto HR
else STFU

One person in my team had flu jab few weeks ago... been off for the last week with flu!

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

One person in my team had flu jab few weeks ago... been off for the last week with flu!

Yep the "STFU" was obviously directed at them, not you.  I'm not anti-vaccine, although flu seems a relatively unnecessary one.  I am very much anti-'removal of someone's free choice' though.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

For the umpteenth time, no they haven't. It sometimes gives you a short-term reaction of mild flu-like symptoms. Nothing like the real thing. 

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

For the umpteenth time, no they haven't. It sometimes gives you a short-term reaction of mild flu-like symptoms. Nothing like the real thing. 

That's your opinion you don't know for sure.

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The flu jab doesn't miraculously make you immune to the flu. There's hundreds of strains of flu viruses. The vaccine attempts to give you inoculation against common strains, meaning its less likely you'll come down with the flu, as you have been given defences against the strains you're most likely to come into contact with. As with any vaccine your body reacts to it and that can give you some mild symptoms, but you're not being given the flu and it's not making you unwell, it's just your body reacting to the effectively dead virus and building the immunity in essence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The flu jab doesn't miraculously make you immune to the flu. There's hundreds of strains of flu viruses. The vaccine attempts to give you inoculation against common strains, meaning its less likely you'll come down with the flu, as you have been given defences against the strains you're most likely to come into contact with. As with any vaccine your body reacts to it and that can give you some mild symptoms, but you're not being given the flu and it's not making you unwell, it's just your body reacting to the effectively dead virus and building the immunity in essence.

But if you haven't been given the flu why do you need to take time off work? The point is so you don't infect those around you as well as not need to take time off?

Touch wood I've been good for the last 3-5 years and have had a minor cold twice in those times. Therefore in my circumstance I feel my body does not require it.

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But if you haven't been given the flu why do you need to take time off work? The point is so you don't infect those around you as well as not need to take time off?

Touch wood I've been good for the last 3-5 years and have had a minor cold twice in those times. Therefore in my circumstance I feel my body does not require it.

You haven't been given the flu if you have the jab. You get given a dead form of the virus. Your body reacts to that. This can cause you to have mild symptoms, sometimes. You aren't infected, or infectious, as you don't have flu, you just have your body reacting to a dead virus. There's nothing to be spread by it.

Your colleague having time off either has another less common strain of the flu that hasn't been vaccinated against, has another illness, or is trying it on. The jab hasn't given them the flu.

I've never had the flu, thankfully. I do suffer from colds. If I either I am in environment where it was recommended I take the vaccine, I'd take it.

• Like 1

Â