General Chat

Stevo985

Man arrested in Sri Lanka for 'smuggling gold bars in rectum'

Sri Lankan authorities have arrested a man at an airport in Colombo for allegedly trying to smuggle gold bars hidden in his rectum.

Officers at Bandaranaike international airport had noticed he was walking suspiciously, a spokesman said. Gold weighing 400g (14oz), worth about 2m Sri Lankan rupees (£9,400), was found hidden inside the suspect’s rectal cavity, a customs spokesman told the BBC.

...more on link

Advice please from anyone who knows about vehicle insurance

twice this year I've contacted my insurance company to report incidents, both of which have resulted in no claims being made, the first incident was in june, the second 4 weeks ago when the other driver drove off, leaving me with a £150 repair bill as I didn't want to claim off my insurance, now I thought I was doing my insurer a favour by reporting these, taking photos to help back my pov if the other parties decided to claim for whiplash and such, now this isnt going to happen, my insurer have said that they have had no contact from other insurance companies regarding the incidents yet my renewal has come through, they've got these down as pending incidents, smashing my NCB from 7 years to one, increasing my premium from £380 to nearly £900, surely this cant be right seeing as no claims have been made by anyone?

I might be completely wrong here, as I don't work in the car insurance sector, but a couple of things that spring to mind...

Firstly, some insurers will treat a 'notification', i.e. the reporting of an incident, as a claim particularly if it's not a minor matter - if you've hit, or been hit by, someone, they may view that as more serious than you scraping a dot backing onto the drive etc. 

Secondly, regarding the making of a claim against your insurer, a whiplash claim in law in the UK could be made up to 3 years after the event (and in some circumstances longer). So if there's the potential of a whiplash claim being made they may view that incident as more serious and note it as a claim.

Your premium will have risen whether they knocked down the NCB or not as the stats the insurer uses to rate risk will see you as more likely to cost them money as you've had an a couple of incidents officially, so they will price accordingly. You'd need to investigate your policy as to how your insurer will view the effect of claims against your NCB - my understanding was standard practice was the look at 6 years (even if you have longer) and knock off 2 years for every claim made, on that basis you should have 2 I think, but I think that varies a little from insurer to insurer.

As said I don't deal with car insurance so I might be completely wrong, but these thoughts jumped to mind. It may be worth having a chat with someone at your insurer to clear up if a mistake had been made, for example they might have processed those incidents incorrectly and therefore have treated them as possible losses rather than notifications for information only.

If they're going to take away your NCB you may as well claim for the damage... and of course the back pain that has been getting steadily worse since the first incident and significantly worse after the second. Not to mention the stress and emotional issues it has caused. Plus the fact your wife was having to pay out for taxis and lost some earnings. Nightmare.

I suspect I will be on the phone for a few hours tomorrow sorting this out, my argument is the first incident i was told would be closed from december first yet is still open despite no activity so i expect this to be closed and i will at least get back 2 years, and the second claim i was told when i reported it, would be classed as a no fault claim and wouldn't affect my NCB, so how can i lose 2 years+. All Thi has done has strengthened my belief that vehicle insurance is legalised robbery

• Like 1

Always get protected NCB. Bit late for that advice now though. Sorry Jim.

I'd imagine it's the computer that has made these decisions. Keep pushing them on it and see if they relent. As Chindie says, make sure you've got your facts straight on your policy first though.

Today felt like the longest day ever at work. Had a handful of things to do, was going to stretch them out, but no.. all done by 8:30am

Spent until 5pm learning to sleep with my eyes open

Heard an absolute corker today.

So i'm at the tattoo studio and one of the tattooists turns around and says.

"Do you know know how McDonalds get away without actually having 100% Beef in their products?"

The other responds "No?"

"Well, They own a company called 100% Beef. So it says 'Made with 100% Beef'....."

Christmas comedown is hitting me hard today. Back to work tomorrow and I just can't be arsed with it. I recently moved jobs (completely different field) hoping I wouldn't mind it as much in situations like this. It's the same with Sundays, I just dread going back to work the following Monday so after a cracking few days off with the family I feel x10 worse right now. I just can't ever seem to settle. I'm usually fine near the end of the week but it's just getting back into it. 

19 hours ago, Warnock said:

Christmas comedown is hitting me hard today. Back to work tomorrow and I just can't be arsed with it. I recently moved jobs (completely different field) hoping I wouldn't mind it as much in situations like this. It's the same with Sundays, I just dread going back to work the following Monday so after a cracking few days off with the family I feel x10 worse right now. I just can't ever seem to settle. I'm usually fine near the end of the week but it's just getting back into it. 

I think a lot of people have that feeling after Xmas.

crumbled and gave into the dark side today, with my phone up for renewal i decided after 4 years with a windows phone and no sign of an improvement of apps I caved in and had an iPhone

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Other than the lack of apps, did you have any major gripes with Windows phone? I'm thinking about switching over from Android, I think all of the apps I care about are supported.

the internet browser was woeful, it constantly crashed when loading pages with images and gifs was the only real issue, I just got fed up of loading a page that had a gif on it and it crashing.

great phones let down by basic problems and lack of apps like skygo, sort that I'd go back to a WP tomorrow 

Â