General Chat

Stevo985

The scrap metal chaps. They'll take anything that isn't nailed down usually.

Couple of years back I shouted them down to say I had a fridge freezer for them and they declined because of the gasses.

I've seen other posts on Facebook saying they've got fridges/freezers to collect at the end of their drives and remain untouched.

Yep, tatters won't touch fridges in this area (Sandwell) and haven't done for a good few years now, the only options seem to be pay the council to come and collect, take it to a tip but only on the third Thursday in June between the hours of 10 and 10.33 am or, as most do, fly tip it in a farmers gate

3 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Yep, tatters won't touch fridges in this area (Sandwell) and haven't done for a good few years now, the only options seem to be pay the council to come and collect, take it to a tip but only on the third Thursday in June between the hours of 10 and 10.33 am or, as most do, fly tip it in a farmers gate

wont the rats have it?

Charity shop came and collected our fridge freezer, even gave us £20 for the trouble

Charity shops round here won't take ANYTHING electrical. Health and safety.

Just to emphasise, mine wasn't taken by the scrap metal guys. Just some random guys.

Still think it's worth sticking it outside your front door for a day and see if it goes.

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Just to emphasise, mine wasn't taken by the scrap metal guys. Just some random guys.

Still think it's worth sticking it outside your front door for a day and see if it goes.

You should post your address on here then they could drop the items outside your house :lol:

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The first winter I moved into my house my boiler broke and I was too skint to fix it so I went the whole winter without heating or hot water.

It was **** cold that year too. One morning the display in my car said it was -12

Bloody hell that must have been a nightmare :(

Just now, DK82 said:

Bloody hell that must have been a nightmare :(

Yeah it was a nightmare. I had an electric heater that I used to carry round the house with me. Had it set on a timer in my bedroom so it would warm the room up so I could bear to get out of bed, in which I was sleeping in tracksuit bottoms and a jumper :D

If it wasn't for the fact I had an electric shower so that gave me hot water I'd have caved in and got a loan or something to fix the boiler. As it was I managed to hold on!

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah it was a nightmare. I had an electric heater that I used to carry round the house with me. Had it set on a timer in my bedroom so it would warm the room up so I could bear to get out of bed, in which I was sleeping in tracksuit bottoms and a jumper :D

If it wasn't for the fact I had an electric shower so that gave me hot water I'd have caved in and got a loan or something to fix the boiler. As it was I managed to hold on!

We are having to punch out boiler (near the dial) in order to get it to light when it goes out - which isn't good I know! The guy who sorted a short term fix said it could be the circuit board, or the fan, or the timer... This could be costly! :(

its working at the moment, so fingers crossed.

FWIW, I got mine repaired in the end for "free", providing I signed up to British Gas' boiler care thingamajig which costs me about 20 quid a month.

As it happened, my boiler is totally shite, so it's broken a few times since, so it's been a solid investment for me. Might be worth looking into if you're having problems. It includes an annual service too.

The previous owners of my house left me a broken boiler which they bodged for the survey the bastards. 

Luckily with a bit of fiddling about and a Google I managed to trace issue to the overflow pressure valve. Picked up a brand new part off eBay for £35. A plumber mate of mine fitted it for £20 and it's been golden ever since (4 years).

The boiler itself is a crappy make and very old but keeps going. We've got about 15 radiators that it has to pump through but thank god, keeps plodding on.

Yeah mine's duff. NO matter how many times it gets fixed, something always goes wrong with it.

It's annoying, because I don't want to sell this house. I want to keep it and rent it out when I move out, but I know it's going to cost me 3 grand or something stupid to replace the boiler when I do that because I couldn't rent it out with the current boiler

Yeah mine's duff. NO matter how many times it gets fixed, something always goes wrong with it.

It's annoying, because I don't want to sell this house. I want to keep it and rent it out when I move out, but I know it's going to cost me 3 grand or something stupid to replace the boiler when I do that because I couldn't rent it out with the current boiler

We had a WB installed recently, albeit by a friend of the family, and even with all labour costs it was little over £1k, it's not as expensive as you think.

8 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

just weighed myself and im 13 and a half stone:o ive put half a stone on from last time i weighed myself.

When did you previously weigh yourself?

I find that if the scales are telling me I've put on half a stone or a stone in a relatively short time (3-7 days, say) then it generally takes the same time to lose it.

Â