General Chat

Stevo985

21 hours ago, Xann said:

Wow, bell ends.

Sum Of Us

90% of rumours about future iphones tend to be rubbish.

However, if true, I agree. I've had iphones for 5-6 years but at the end of the day, its just a phone and I'll get a different one if I need to. 

Just been quoted £6500 on a small front porch. 1m going out, 1.6m wide and 2.2m high. Pitched roof, upvc door and glass fronted.

I'm right in thinking to tell them to jog on right?

17 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Just been quoted £6500 on a small front porch. 1m going out, 1.6m wide and 2.2m high. Pitched roof, upvc door and glass fronted.

I company I sub contract for would build you a 3mx3m conservatory for that, is there much brickwork involved? I'd suggest giving a builder a ring (hint) and getting him to build the base then asking for a window firm to supply and fit the frame

• Like 3

Talking of headphones I got te AVFC noise reduction headphones for chrimbo.

Bucking frilliant.

Although they are huge and do have AVFC written on them. Which leads me to countless conversations about how a) Petrov is a legend B) Tonev wasn't a racist, just misunderstood.

26 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

How much are the materials costing?

If it's brick and a standard upvc  then I'd say you could get someone to build that for much closer to £3,000. But stuff varies in price, a basic door might be £150 but if you wanted to, you could find yourself a £1,000 door. Do the bricks perfectly match the existing bricks or are they whatever they had? Will there be a proper flashing making it properly waterproof.

Get a minimum of three quotes and make sure you both understand what you are getting for your money. How long will it take to build? Will they be putting in a new floor / foundation? Is it including power for an internal light? Have you got space for a light if it's only 2.2m high? Are they dealing with all planning and building regs including the planning fee?

Don't be shy, ask, and get the answer written down before they start.

1 hour ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Talking of headphones I got te AVFC noise reduction headphones for chrimbo.

Bucking frilliant.

Although they are huge and do have AVFC written on them. Which leads me to countless conversations about how a) Petrov is a legend B) Tonev wasn't a racist, just misunderstood.

IT7 headphones > that rubbish you got 

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

How much are the materials costing?

If it's brick and a standard upvc  then I'd say you could get someone to build that for much closer to £3,000. But stuff varies in price, a basic door might be £150 but if you wanted to, you could find yourself a £1,000 door. Do the bricks perfectly match the existing bricks or are they whatever they had? Will there be a proper flashing making it properly waterproof.

Get a minimum of three quotes and make sure you both understand what you are getting for your money. How long will it take to build? Will they be putting in a new floor / foundation? Is it including power for an internal light? Have you got space for a light if it's only 2.2m high? Are they dealing with all planning and building regs including the planning fee?

Don't be shy, ask, and get the answer written down before they start.

They do everything i.e planning, surveying, regs, matching bricks, foundations, fully waterproof, insulated, electrics & they are putting a light in, they are building steps and raising it from the drive level to meet the height of the houses floorplan (we are on a slope), door is worth about £500. They estimate about 4-5 days from start until completion.

Amber is the company name.

3 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

I company I sub contract for would build you a 3mx3m conservatory for that, is there much brickwork involved? I'd suggest giving a builder a ring (hint) and getting him to build the base then asking for a window firm to supply and fit the frame

A little brickwork up to about 0.8m level but a lot of extra work (than normal) to get it from drive level to house floor level as our drive is sloped they need to raise it and build steps. I'm assuming this is where the extra £££ comes from plus the electrics and them putting a light in and sorting out regs/planning/admin legal crap.

Had to get new work headphones yesterday, quid from poundland possibly better than anything associated with avfc at the moment. In other news my wife bought me some avfc aftershave a couple of years ago and i am at the bottom, after 2 years its started giving me a rash. Typical Villa. 

• Like 2

@Ingram85 sounds like you've got a decent amount of information, and on a couple of posts it sounds like they have thought it through and offered you a full service. Always worth pm'ing Jim by the sound of it, you would have the advantage there of being able to rubbish him on the interweb if the job went bad! But with so much spec and understanding what they are doing it's always worth getting a couple of other quotes. Even if what that does is show you that other companies look like cowboys or just don't sit right with you. Whatever you pay, a month later someone will tell you they's have done it for half the price.

But now you have a decent amount of spec., I'd say that cost doesn't sound too outrageous, not cheap, but . I've got away with charging people over £500 just to draw up a porch and submit it to planning - and then got the Client to pay the planning fee! As said above, you could likely get a cheaper price by getting a builder to build you a base and a window firm to put up the sides.. But when it leaks a bit in the rain, they'll all blame the bits that are by the others. When it's one firm, it's a one stop shop for getting snags fixed. 

What you might well find, is asking for the dimensions to be slightly bigger (if there's space), doesn't proportionately add to the cost. Making it 2.2m high or 2.5m high is almost no cost difference but will feel a lot different inside. But it might be that height to work out flashings and whatnot. Same with the width, I'm guessing the width, which is a bit mean at 1 metre, is because the further out you go massively effects the drop due to the slope on your drive.

Just to throw a random thought in for you, if the door is side on to the current front door, and the porch is a metre wide - how will you get your next sofa or bed in to the house? Probably not an issue but I've known it cause problems later!

• Like 1

Was just perusing the Hall of Fame, and had a quick glance at the Strong City thread. Did you know the leader of that cult is currently serving a prison term? I wonder what happened to TerryCzap...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, hogso said:

Was just perusing the Hall of Fame, and had a quick glance at the Strong City thread. Did you know the leader of that cult is currently serving a prison term? I wonder what happened to TerryCzap...

Best.  Thread.  Ever!

I wasn't posting at the time so I read it all in one go a few years back.

On 05/01/2016 at 14:14, tonyh29 said:
On 06/01/2016 at 13:28, Stevo985 said:

The honey trap thread was pretty shit I thought.

Dunno what the **** is going on with quoting.

7 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Can someone give me a brief summary of what's involved in the Strong City thread... I would just read it all but you know... it's 35 pages...

Guy watches a docu about a cult (Christian alledged suicide cult lead by the second coming of Jesus who had to sleep with the women of said cult to cleanse them of demons, to be more specific) on channel 4, posts about it, someone who is part of the cult finds the thread via google and starts posting about it, answering questions, etc. It's pretty incredible.

Edited by hogso
god made me do it
  • Like 1

Just now, hogso said:

Guy watches a docu about a cult on channel 4, posts about it, someone who is part of the cult finds the thread via google and starts posting about it, answering questions, etc. It's pretty incredible.

haha, i'll have a look at that later! :thumb: 

Â